The Contributor Survey..any thoughts?

I filled in the survey. I can't see that it's going to tell them much. I ticked the option to say that I'd uploaded in the last year. That doesn't begin to cover the fact that I've only added 15 images in the last 2 1/2 years  to my portfolio of nearly 4000 images. Why? Because since Alamy slumped in the value of licences sold and then reduced the amount I received from those reduced sales, it has become unprofitable to process images for Alamy (I have four years worth of shooting waiting to be processed).  I use such time as I have for stock work more profitably on video. I  earn more per download and more overall from video clips on the agency Alamy partner with (though only direct,  not any sold through Alamy, as far as I can tell).  

Oh, and Wim. I did complain about the terrible keywording and captioning I'm always seeing. Not holding out much hope on that one either.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Re. terrible captioning and keywording, I agree that Alamy should be more stringent. And it should be done from the start with the very first submission. But Alamy already seems to be known as having a harder to pass QC than other agencies and this would be even more off putting to new contributors.

However, it would be a good way of Alamy distinguishing itself from the pack....

• Like 3

• Because the licence prices are too low.
  • Because the percentage commision split is unfair.

These are not either/or questions. I want the option to tick both.

My devotion to stock photography took a big hit when the commission split went beyond 50/50...

• Like 7

I started the survey but quit, reasons:

- they want information about competing agencies I deliver to  (how alamy compares with regard to  number of sales/revunue/earning per image). Thats nothing I want to share.

- I dont expect any changes based on this survey. One major change thats requested by contributors - and market standard - is not to give hi res images for 10 $. All major agencies I know sell in different sizes, the Alamy model invites for abuse, de-motivating.

- they ask for information they have (if I answer correctly with my email adresss used for communication): how long I'm with Alamy, upload frequency, commission model. Its an easy task for a database anaylist, first year on school, to combine this information. More precise than based on contributors memory.

But main reason is the 2. one.

• Like 2

Things I noted where comments were available: 

New or Improved Tools: AI generated keywords and data/image info - because keywords are my big procrastination point in choosing whether or not to spend time uploading images.

Other concerns (last question): I noted that while I did understand the expenses of running a tech related business I thought we should all be making more per image with a higher commission going to us in either case (whether the image prices were higher or not). I also mentioned that I would like to know who bought my images for no other reason than marketing my work - kinda difficult to note where my work has been published when I can't find it - even though a bunch of my images have been sold as travel or corporate editorial. 

I must have misread and marked the the commission satisfaction question as "indifferent" because I don't recall being given an option to comment there. 

On 20/09/2023 at 18:29, Mr Standfast said:

Fair enough.

Q11 If you are unsatisfied with the your commision rate what is the main reason for this?

• Because I have not had enough sales to reach the better commission rate.
  • Because the licence prices are too low.
  • Because the percentage commision split is unfair.

I can't really differentiate between these three. Alamy need to address all of them, allthough they have little control over the middle one.

However a contributor answers from the 3 options quoted nothing will change for better better, therefore completing the survey is pretty pointless.

I did it. I asked for the ability to flag wrong captions and keywords, Account Balance page showing net as well as sale amount and commissions and a more user-friendly Image Manager without Discoverability. I answered question 11 as the commission split being unfair. Since I am Gold I am unhappy with not being Platinum with the 50/50 split.

Paulette

• Like 1

I did it too.

To question 11, I answered the split being unfair.

In question 18 I included this:

"1.- Better, more stable, error-free and more detailed zooms and sales reports. Include client information (to avoid mis report UUFs). Include NET graphs and reports. Improve each image information: number and amount of sales, views, zooms, etc. So we can curate our own portfolio for better performance.
2.- Very important...a way to track and manage all the UUF cases submitted: lists of cases, ID for each case (high priority to this), follow-up status, resolution status, associated licenses, etc...ultimately, everything related to UUFs management. It would easy and make much more efficient our time and the time of the Infringement Team, reducing errors, duplicated reports, rereading and answering long mails, etc.)
3.- Allow option to set minimal price, depending of the use, for individual images and/or batches of images.
4.- Different prices for different image sizes. E.g. personal or presentation use shouldn’t be full hi res downloads, or there should be an increasing price with increased download size.
5.- Allow to opt-out of some licenses packs.
6.- Alamy has to have more control and be more severe about distributors pricing policies, licenses details and very slow payments and reports."

Hope it helps to improve something ... but not holding my breath...

• Love 1
  • Like 3

I thought the Survey was quite good, that only thing I would have liked is a format that would have allowed being able to write more information.

On the other hand I have been saying exactly what I said on the survey for years.........

Only now it would be nice to see some results or actions.

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VbFolly said:

I don't think I came up with any suggestions. I was just responding to Paulette's question.

JFI, I suggested a more equal commission rate of 50/50 for those on Gold and the ability to keyword pics whilst still in QC prior to clearance. Agree that the survey was short and succinct.