Share your lucky shots...

John Morrison

How much does luck play a part in photography? I’m happy to subscribe to the old adage that “the harder you work, the luckier you get”, because it suggests that our hard work will be rewarded. But what about dumb luck?

I  was having a coupla pints with an old mate last week, in a pub in York. The sun came out for a few seconds, so I reached in my bag for my camera and fired off a couple of shots. It was luck, not judgement, to capture the enigmatic, ‘Mona Lisa’ smile of a man who can't quite decide whether his glass is half-empty or half-full. There were people ‘in shot’ behind him, but they kinda dissolved into the shadows.

Let’s see more more lucky shots…

senior-man-with-quizzical-expression-as-he-ponders-whether-his-glass-og-beer-is-half-empty-or-half-full-2RJ6MCW.jpg

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Ouch! with over 7000 images in my port where do I start?  Oh! I know.

Saw this lady in her spring outfit walking up the road. Quick grab shot as she was already quite close. Did not realise (see) until I saw the image on the computer screen that she was passing a shop window which had the wording "Hello Spring".

elderly-lady-dressed-for-spring-passing-

Allan

• Love 4

33 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Just walking down The Mall, when....

westminster-london-uk-18th-jun-2020-the-pelicans-that-live-in-st-jamess-park-decided-to-take-a-walk-across-the-mall-stopping-traffic-walking-in-the-road-park-wardens-had-to-move-them-back-2C2TCWT.jpg

If ever there was an image that wrote its own headline....

Is that what you call a Pelican Crossing?

• Like 1

The plan was to take some pictures outside the hospital on a strike day, maybe get some placards, maybe an ambulance. A short shower on the walk up the hill seemed to lower my chances, it was getting darker, 11 in the morning, mid summer in the UK!

The shower made the road shiny, poor light made the "ambo" driver turn his lights on. That made the reflection, to my mind thats lucky!

bristol-uk-14th-july-2023-a-rainy-day-outside-the-bristol-royal-infirmary-on-the-second-day-of-the-junior-doctors-current-strike-in-their-ongoing-pay-dispute-supported-by-the-bma-and-hcsa-the-doctors-pay-claim-aims-to-restore-income-lost-by-years-of-below-inflation-pay-rises-although-government-have-offered-a-65-increase-the-doctors-are-still-striking-because-the-latest-offer-does-not-address-their-need-for-pay-restoration-credit-jmf-newsalamy-live-news-2RCDT35.jpg
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I was set up to shoot this lighthouse, in Florida, at sunset, when this older couple walked on on the pier and had a romantic moment.  Did not know them or talk to them.

usa-florida-marathon-keys-couple-by-ligh

Lucky they arrived when they did. That lighthouse is well out of focus. 😎

This photo almost composed itself as if by magic. The only claim to fame came from its publication in the February 1980 issue of American Photographer.

a-troubled-man-in-the-kuvasz-doghouse-2FA2PYA.jpg

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

These are two images that licenced today, of which I have many similar of a variety of Royals. I have been extremely lucky in somehow managing to attract their gaze as they pass, some of which are straight down the lens. Standing for hours sometimes in very hot and dusty conditions would feel far more like an ordeal if it wasn't for getting results like these.

meghan-markle-duchess-of-sussex-and-prince-harry-duke-of-sussex-in-carriage-for-trooping-the-colour-on-the-mall-london-uk-eye-contact-2HAY8AF.jpg

meghan-markle-duchess-of-sussex-and-prince-harry-duke-of-sussex-in-carriage-on-the-mall-london-for-trooping-the-colour-2018-fashion-outfit-2HAWXGK.jpg

• Love 5

Shooting sunflowers when this fella joined the frame, photobombing.

AYW7RR.jpg

I was happily shooting this American Robin bathing when a Starling crashed the party.  The Robin wasn’t happy. The starling stood frozen & afraid to move, respecting that beak. I laughed my a$$ off.

B0CAE2.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

Talking about photobombing here is another.

Bombed by another photographer

bombed-by-another-photographer-2H5KK1X.j

No names - No pack drill.  A bit further to the right and he would have had gold horns.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
Change ho to he.
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Although I planned this shot in advance, I was not expecting that someone with an outfit that matched the colours of the graffiti would walk in front of it. As a bonus, his posture mimics the eagle's and I was able to line up his shorts with the red line behind him.

wall-graffiti-art-eagle-about-to-grab-a-

• Love 4
  • Like 1