Views and Zooms have dropped to near zero

mwakeling

Question

216 answers to this question

On 05/07/2023 at 12:20, Allan Bell said:

We're DOOOMED I say DOOOMED.

Allan

Yea, not the first time on the Forum I read this.....

I will say that Alamy appears to be having some "technical issues"  Not the end of the world, but I as well as a number of us would like to see these issues resolved.

For the record, In the "Good Old Days" (joking, sort of).  Payments would show up directly in my U.S. bank within 48 hours of showing that payment has been made, but for the last more than a few months it is taking longer and longer for the deposit to appear?

P.S. acording to my "Contributors Page" I am currently having the worst month in years?

Chuck

I will say that Alamy appears to be having some "technical issues"  Not the end of the world, but I as well as a number of us would like to see these issues resolved.

They have known about this for months. I contacted CR months ago, and got a pat answer that views and CTRs go up and down; as if I do not know that after 16 years with Alamy! My CTR, for what it is worth has averaged above norm for a long time. Zero is zero. How am I supposed to make sales when my images are not found in the first few pages of a search with a specific keyword like a scientific name? It's not like I photograph everyday things. My views are less than half than a year ago, with all of the additional submissions that I have made. I feel lately that unless one is photographing British politicians or football players, one is wasting one's time. We deserve better.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

For the record, In the "Good Old Days" (joking, sort of).  Payments would show up directly in my U.S. bank within 48 hours of showing that payment has been made, but for the last more than a few months it is taking longer and longer for the deposit to appear?

P.S. acording to my "Contributors Page" I am currently having the worst month in years?

Chuck

Similar here. Just attempted to check that my Alamy payment had been deposited into my bank account and even my bank has issues - 'Online Banking is temporarily unavailable'.

Edited by sb photos

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

Similar here. Just attempted to check that my Alamy payment had been deposited into my bank account and even my bank has issues - 'Online Banking is temporarily unavailable'.

The world is breaking up. I am off to find me a nice cave near a fresh water source and plenty of wild life as my pantry.

Allan

37 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

The world is breaking up. I am off to find me a nice cave near a fresh water source and plenty of wild life as my pantry.

I agree with you

Am actually looking for a wee island to permanently escape to with no one around 

6 hours ago, mwakeling said:

They have known about this for months. I contacted CR months ago, and got a pat answer that views and CTRs go up and down; as if I do not know that after 16 years with Alamy! My CTR, for what it is worth has averaged above norm for a long time. Zero is zero. How am I supposed to make sales when my images are not found in the first few pages of a search with a specific keyword like a scientific name? It's not like I photograph everyday things. My views are less than half than a year ago, with all of the additional submissions that I have made. I feel lately that unless one is photographing British politicians or football players, one is wasting one's time. We deserve better.

From what I understand (which isn't much!) the CTR figures are derived from chosen buyers and not everyone who looks. But it is disturbing when CTR stays at zero from the beginning of the month until now as is the case for me too. It was at 0.95 in January this year but based on much lower views and zooms than a year ago with much more images added since. I, like many I guess, try to ignore CTR but it is a nagging doubt always there. Perhaps we'd all be better off if like other agencies nothing was shown like this.

3 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

FWIW, my last payment was announced on the 3rd, saying payment within 9 working days (the new normal) and it did indeed show up in my bank account on the 12th

Alex

Same here, just checked and my payment was received yesterday.

7 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

FWIW, my last payment was announced on the 3rd, saying payment within 9 working days (the new normal) and it did indeed show up in my bank account on the 12th

Alex

51 minutes ago, Colin C said:

Mine also

Tambien.  I get email alerts for deposits.

Mine have been steadily falling over the past couple of months, almost matching the declining curve in my views and CTR.

Strange as I have been uploading more again the past few months and always saw a correlation in how much I uploaded in my views.

I cannot help wonder if there is a slew to favour certain (owned) content over that of contributors now that the ownership has changed…

• Like 1

I find that there are sometimes a few days where views and zooms don't update. But overall, I haven't noticed any negative change at all. Still seeing a correlation between increasing my portfolio size and increasing zooms. Although with such a small portfolio, I do see a lot of monthly variability with my CTR.

edit: I may have missed the point being made. Is this is in relation to contributors whose portfolios are significantly live news? Do news buyers count towards CTR? And how much demand is there for news images after a few days?

Edited by Steve F

The apparent search engine 'cut-off' leading to Contributors images not being seen still rankles with me. An instance cropped up this week where one of our regular reporters listed images relating to 50 top UK beaches. Many frequently reported Contributors names appeared and you have to assume that these are highly ranked. No problem here, but how far does the search go? My portfolio contains images of a number of the beaches featured but the search engine failed to reach/register/report any of mine. I don't mind not achieving a sale/licence as long as my work gets seen. In many instances it just does not happen. Maybe this is why I am now selling next to nothing these days. Might just as well toss feathers into the wind and watch them blow away!!

Jim  

Edited by Broad Norfolk
Punctuation.

4 hours ago, Broad Norfolk said:

The apparent search engine 'cut-off' leading to Contributors images not being seen still rankles with me. An instance cropped up this week where one of our regular reporters listed images relating to 50 top UK beaches. Many frequently reported Contributors names appeared and you have to assume that these are highly ranked. No problem here, but how far does the search go? My portfolio contains images of a number of the beaches featured but the search engine failed to reach/register/report any of mine. I don't mind not achieving a sale/licence as long as my work gets seen. In many instances it just does not happen. Maybe this is why I am now selling next to nothing these days. Might just as well toss feathers into the wind and watch them blow away!!

Jim  

I sometimes check by doing a customer search for one of my images which fits in with a true customer search to see where my images appear.  Quite a few times my images show up on the first page and near top to half way down.

Give some idea of ranking I think.

Allan

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I sometimes check by doing a customer search for one of my images which fits in with a true customer search to see where my images appear.  Quite a few times my images show up on the first page and near top to half way down.

Give some idea of ranking I think.

Allan

I have to admit I haven't tried that Allan. I'll give it a go. Could be interesting.

Jim

On 13/07/2023 at 04:27, Chuck Nacke said:

Payments would show up directly in my U.S. bank within 48 hours of showing that payment has been made, but for the last more than a few months it is taking longer and longer for the deposit to appear?

That changed last year- here it was always the fourth working day of the month.. Alamy won't tell us why despite numerous posts, they just parrot the old "within 9 working days" that's been on our statements of account for years. Surprise surprise, it now takes 8, one day less. I suspect they've found a way to chisel a few more cents off their transaction costs. Oddly enough none of my creditors has suddenly given me an extra 5 days to pay my bills.

Edited by spacecadet

On 15/07/2023 at 12:41, spacecadet said:

That changed last year- here it was always the fourth working day of the month.. Alamy won't tell us why despite numerous posts, they just parrot the old "within 9 working days" that's been on our statements of account for years. Surprise surprise, it now takes 8, one day less. I suspect they've found a way to chisel a few more cents off their transaction costs. Oddly enough none of my creditors has suddenly given me an extra 5 days to pay my bills.

SC,

This is something that I have looked into and I quite a bit of experience with international money transfers and a few connections with people inside the large U.S. banks.  I do not believe that Alamy is "Chiseling cents",  it is not worth the trouble.  Speaking only for myself, I believe it has more to do with the bank in the U.S. that is clearing the funds.  I can not speak for the banks that are clearing funds for other countries.  I do know that there is no reason for the amount of time it is currently taking for funds sent from Alamy to appear in my U.S. bank.

Chuck

Measures not working AGAIN? No new figures yesterday or today despite it saying it was updated yesterday. Tell a lie. It was updated on the 26th. I lost a day somewhere.🤭

Edited by Sultanpepa

On 16/07/2023 at 20:19, Chuck Nacke said:

SC,

This is something that I have looked into and I quite a bit of experience with international money transfers and a few connections with people inside the large U.S. banks.  I do not believe that Alamy is "Chiseling cents",  it is not worth the trouble.  Speaking only for myself, I believe it has more to do with the bank in the U.S. that is clearing the funds.  I can not speak for the banks that are clearing funds for other countries.  I do know that there is no reason for the amount of time it is currently taking for funds sent from Alamy to appear in my U.S. bank.

Chuck

My US bank in the 80s or so used to try to hold money deposited by my agent for a working day week if over $5K and two working day weeks if over $10K.  US banking authorities put a stop to this.   The excuse was that the two weeks gave the bank time to make sure the payment wasn't in error or something.  Whole thing was precisely to collect interest on the float.  A few days on the size of what we're getting isn't worth it, just as holding sub $5K amounts wasn't worth it for the bank even when interest rates were higher.