Do you get period of absolutely nothing?

Dave Colman

Question

As the title says, I know we are likely to have ups and downs but do you get periods when sales just die?
This was my first site to use for stock and I am still going back through to redo all my tags etc but everything was going fine until October last year and since then no a bean.  My ctr has stayed the same and I am getting plenty of views but no sales. 
Nothing has changed with my upload, they are frequent and dare I say, other sites are ticking over so I thought really strange I have dropped off the radar so to speak.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2023 at 12:45, Dave Colman said:

...I thought really strange I have dropped off the radar...

on a related tangent...
😨 SOME BLOKES HERE DON'T LIKE TANGENTS
🙄 WHAT ABOUT THE CANUCKS & THE ALBANIANS?
...zooms this month are in the toilet, up the loo, down the commode...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
on a related tangent...
😨 SOME BLOKES HERE DON'T LIKE TANGENTS
🙄 WHAT ABOUT THE CANUCKS & THE ALBANIANS?
...zooms this month are in the toilet, up the loo, down the commode...

Jeff, are you aware that "Tangents" are the people who live in the Republic of Tangentopoli?

• Love 1

I popped in here to see if anyone else was having a quiet period. As I've had a reasonable Jan & Feb, with 17 total sales for the 2 months, some repeats, & a reasonable range from £ to mid ££

Then two £ in March & nothing this month ☹️

I'm half hoping that all those book publishers are instead busy getting ready for the London Book Fair, which is next week.

4 hours ago, GP Essex said:

I popped in here to see if anyone else was having a quiet period. As I've had a reasonable Jan & Feb, with 17 total sales for the 2 months, some repeats, & a reasonable range from £ to mid ££

Then two £ in March & nothing this month ☹️

I'm half hoping that all those book publishers are instead busy getting ready for the London Book Fair, which is next week.

Let's hope that book fair is a big success and they're on here looking for new photos for even more titles!

• Love 1

On 14/04/2023 at 12:53, Brian Yarvin said:

"Tangents" are the people who live in the Republic of Tangentopoli?

This is amazing.
People, gosh, give Brian "The Why" Y-man
the attention he indisputably deserves !!
🎩   🎩   🎩
This nugget will be future Final Jeopardy answer-question
& make you lots of moola if you get on JEOPARDY:

"Tangents are residents of this mythical village."
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Jeff, not only will "Tangentopoli" be a Final Jeopardy answer, there will be extra points for those who know what it means in Italian. 

Bribesville or kickback city?????

Allan

Back to the OP's original question, I think a "period of absolutely nothing" is relative to how frequently one tends to have sales. I think the longest I have gone without a sale is somewhere around 8-9 days (since maybe after 2006).  For others even a couple days seems like a drought and for others, a month or more.

Longest period of absolutely nothing was 8th Nov 07 to 5th Jun 08, then I had two sales/licences on the same day.

5 QC fails in the same period!

Results so far this year are poor. When confidence in the economy falls, my Alamy sales stall.

15 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Alan, that's amazing! I fully expected one of the Italian contributors to the board to come up with it, but you are correct. I've also heard "bribe city."

Thanks Brian. I had a holiday in Italy back in the 90's and not very good with languages did some studying of the language. Not used it since then so almost completely gone now but I picked that up somewhere and it has stuck but had to interrogate my brain to find it.

Arrivederci

Allan

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Longest period of absolutely nothing was 8th Nov 07 to 5th Jun 08, then I had two sales/licences on the same day.

5 QC fails in the same period!

Results so far this year are poor. When confidence in the economy falls, my Alamy sales stall.

If we are going back then my longest period of absolutely nothing was from 3rd Nov 2008 to 18th Feb 2011.

Allan

I had 2 last month, then nothing at all this month. 7 zooms. Then one came in a couple of days ago for $125. Don’t give up hope. 1 zoom so far this week. Maybe there was a rerank or scramble in how the images are shown. IDK.

The Easter break hasn't helped, and my zooms/CTR down, but ticking over for leases. I suspect that April will turn out to be a below average month. 

Quantity and diversity matter. I'm not one to get up early for sunrises, or go to bed late for sunsets, while my tripod now never leaves the house/ garden, and I don't do news. So my shots are pretty run of the mill, competent but not outstanding, just lots of them.

• Love 1

Sales go up and down of course but I don't get completely dry periods.
I cover a lot of very different subjects and what I do find is periods where one will sell well and others will be really quiet. One month loads of studio shots, the next news, or travel.
If I only did one of those subjects then I probably would experience long gaps in sales.
It's about numbers and diversity.

This is turning out to be a good month - I've spend most of it hunting politicians around Westminster and videoing wildlife in the garden, but the sales have come from studio shots and pics from my Interrailing days in the '90s.

Edited by Phil Robinson

On 18/04/2023 at 12:34, Mr Standfast said:

Never give up!

I didn't. 

Beginning to think I should have done.🥴

Allan

• Love 1

As I noted earlier in this thread, March was my first blank month for over 6 years. So far this month I have had 4 sales totalling $4.73 gross. Might just as well be blank - it's wasting everybody's time! No further comment! 

Jim

• Love 2
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, AlexG said:

How long is your drought so far?

Hi Alex, So far this month I've had 4 sales amounting to almost nothing in royalty fees. Last month wasn't great either. Normally I'd expect to average somewhere between 20-30 sales per month.

A lot of my work is model released and conceptual stock and not news or 'soft news' that makes up a lot of Alamy content but usually sells to the illustrative editorial and marketing clients.  For me it's getting to the point where the effort isn't worth the return anymore. Along with commissioned work Alamy has always been another revenue stream but I wonder for how much longer. I worry that they'll try and drop the commission percentage yet again.