Five Stars

Hi there,

Just out of curiosity, did anyone went from 3 stars to five stars, since the Alamy change of ownership? 

Have a good day,

Regis

P.S: I do understand that I don't have enough photographs on here to qualify, but was wondering about others.

Edited by Regis

It's a total mystery. I have fewer images than you do and I have five. Maybe something about my history? Maybe the proportion of images that sell? I don't submit many similars.

Paulette

• Love 1

I got promoted to 5-star general before the takeover (or coup). As discussed in previous threads, some mysterious formula that probably depends more on success rate than on total number of images must be used. Either that, or the Pentagon puts in a good word for some contributors. 😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Hopefully your bark isn't worse than your bite. 🐶

At this point in my life, I don't think there is much bark or bite left in me😉

I'm just hoping that life will throw me a bone once and a while.

Edited by Rico
  • Like 2

I have always had 3 stars.  Images seem to go through within 24 hours, so I don't know if it makes any difference at all.  Maybe you need to be on Alamy for 10 years or more (which would be me in July) to get upgraded to 5 stars.

Jill

• Like 2

I also have always had 3 stars.  I did have a couple of failures right after I joined,  but the last one was over 5 years ago.  And my submissions are usually approved the day after they were uploaded.  But I have to wonder what it takes to get 5.

• Like 1

Apparently the number 4 is considered unlucky in many East Asian countries. In Chinese the word for four is too similar to the word death. In Japan and Korea the words are the same.

Paulette

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Apparently the number 4 is considered unlucky in many East Asian countries. In Chinese the word for four is too similar to the word death. In Japan and Korea the words are the same.

Paulette

That reminds me of buildings that won’t have a 13th floor.

I've had two fails in the past 13 years and have had 3 stars since the rating system was instituted. My files breeze through in 24 hours (and sometimes even faster) so I'm not concerned.

@Jill Morgan I don't think It's  length of time. I've actually been with Alamy since early 2008 (and opened this account for News/Reportage in mid-2010 when a separate account was required) They've since changed the requirement and moved all my files into this newer account, but kept all reported data from the other separate. 

I had some epic fails and spent time in the sin bin in the other account when I was still finding my way (and had to up-size 6MP files to 48mb). In fact, I just signed into that account to check for old UK web licenses for DACS. It has 20 fails since 2008 and 2 stars.

So, 2 stars, 20 fails, 15 years. 3 stars, 2 fails, 13 years. Not an algorithm I can figure out. I'm guessing those with more images & more frequent uploads rank higher. But it's a guess. 

Like the orange vs green discoverability index, I it gives website designers something to do, but I don't think it makes any difference. 

I'm curious how many stars new contributors start with? Anyone new enough to have joined after they started the star system?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I'm curious how many stars new contributors start with? Anyone new enough to have joined after they started the star system?

Three stars since joining which hasn't changed and my submissions normally go through within 24 hours too.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I’m 5 stars. I uploaded 10 images this afternoon. Shut off my computer, fetched a drink of water then opened my iPad to check & they had already passed. About 10 minutes had expired by the time I checked. I can’t complain.

• Like 3