November 2022 Favourite Uploads

Bryan

Last year I became aware of cyclamen as late season house plants, so I bought some seed and raised a few. They have a range of colours from white to deep red, but my favourite is this one with a mix of the two. The plants were grown from F1 hybrid seed, so any seed taken from this plant won't come true, but it might be worth a try !

a-pink-and-white-flowered-cyclamen-latin

• Love 3

I love cyclamen. They like my city windowsill and when they are not blooming the leaves are also beautiful. They will usually only bloom for one season but once I had one that went on and on.

Paulette

• Love 2

8 hours ago, NYCat said:

I love cyclamen. They like my city windowsill and when they are not blooming the leaves are also beautiful. They will usually only bloom for one season but once I had one that went on and on.

Paulette

When cyclamen in pots are finished flowering I plant them out in a shaded spot in my garden. Mostly they tend to disappear but I have a white one that continues to flower every year.

• Love 1

A couple of uploads following a walk up Sugar Loaf Mountain in The Brecons, Wales on Saturday. The Welsh Mountain Ponies are free to roam the hillsides in the Brecons and play an important role in keeping the uplands in good condition. They’re quite tame and these were two of five that wandered up really close to us. 

2KA8Y8N.jpg

2KA8Y88.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 2

Harris Hawk.  I took everyone's advice and ditched the busy sky and replaced it with a solid blue.  Mega improved the image.  These images were all taken at the Candadian Raptor Conservancy about 4 hours from me along Lake Erie.  They raise the birds themselves and offer photography sessions.  Money goes to their wildlife program where they assist injured birds.  They had 30 birds in their "hospital" when I was there.  We were not allowed to go near the wild birds.

harris-hawk-catching-piece-of-chicken-in

4 year old Bald Eagle

north-american-bald-eagle-wings-spread-a

close-up-of-north-american-bald-eagle-fa

Little Owl

little-owl-athene-noctua-perced-in-tree-

Merlin Falcon

merlin-falcon-falco-columbarius-perched-

I'm looking forward to going back in the winter and taking more images.  Great way to spend a few hours.

Jill

• Love 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Harris Hawk.  I took everyone's advice and ditched the busy sky and replaced it with a solid blue.  Mega improved the image.  These images were all taken at the Candadian Raptor Conservancy about 4 hours from me along Lake Erie.  They raise the birds themselves and offer photography sessions.  Money goes to their wildlife program where they assist injured birds.  They had 30 birds in their "hospital" when I was there.  We were not allowed to go near the wild birds.

harris-hawk-catching-piece-of-chicken-in

If that doesn't license I'll eat my hat.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I'm looking forward to going back in the winter and taking more images.  Great way to spend a few hours.

Jill

A great set of images and probably worth the money you spent, even if sales are few (but hopefully many will come in!).  What a nice thing they offer!

Mid November and still warm enough to go without gloves, eerie or what?  We spent a few pleasant hours in Berwick upon Tweed yesterday and occasionally the sun shone.

the-pier-and-lighthouse-in-berwick-upon-

Edited by Bryan
Can't spell
  • Love 2

Here goes with another big batch.

Large motor boat on stocks being restored at Harbour Marine Services Southwold harbour

large-motor-boat-on-stocks-being-restored-at-harbour-marine-services-southwold-harbour-suffolk-2022-2K9C88E.jpg

Walberswick ferry across river Blyth

walberswick-ferry-across-river-blyth-to-southwold-suffolk-2022-2K9C8T0.jpg

Dead tree washed up on Beach

dead-tree-washed-up-on-beach-2KAM6E1.jpg

Enterprise modern twin hull fishing boat Aldeburgh

enterprise-modern-twin-hull-fishing-boat-aldeburgh-suffolk-2022-2KAM6KA.jpg

Maggi Hamblings Scallop sculpture on Aldeburgh beach

maggi-hamblings-scallop-sculpture-on-aldeburgh-beach-suffolk-2022-2KAM7FW.jpg

Waves breaking against sea wall at Ness point Englands most easterly point Lowestoft

waves-breaking-against-sea-wall-at-ness-point-englands-most-easterly-point-lowestoft-suffolk-2022-2KBM4BW.jpg

Windbreak on south beach Lowdstoft

windbreak-on-south-beach-lowdstoft-suffolk-2022-2KBM4J5.jpg

Veiw over Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club basin outer harbour Lowestoft

veiw-over-royal-norfolk-suffolk-yacht-club-basin-outer-harbour-lowestoft-suffolk-2022-2KBM40B.jpg

I think this will do for now. Look out for another upload later.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Poor worm.

Allan

That poor worm and his buddies were decimating my tomato plants. It was creepy picking them off with that scary horn.  I must’ve picked off a couple of dozen. I could have a fully leafed tomato branch in the evening, nothing but a bare stalk by morning. Their color allows them to hide deep in the plant during daylight hours.

Last year I couldn’t figure out what was doing it, but this year I finally spotted one and knew what to look for. I also had something laying eggs that penetrated the tomatoes causing little holes, then spotting a tiny worm inside. I couldn’t identify this worm.

2KF7TY6.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

I've painted this tree several times when I was younger. But I'm tempted to paint it again with these colours! Was wondering whether to miss out the houses, but perhaps I'll leave them in as they provide a sense of scale...

a-magnificent-english-oak-common-or-pedu

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

I've painted this tree several times when I was younger. But I'm tempted to paint it again with these colours! Was wondering whether to miss out the houses, but perhaps I'll leave them in as they provide a sense of scale...

a-magnificent-english-oak-common-or-pedu

Leave the ubiquitous white van out though.

Allan

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

The particular idiot which these guys had just recued had gone out in that little boat less than 11ft long, no life jacket and no oars!! Engine broke down and drifted onto some rocks.

rnli-rib-and-crew-rescuing-small-boat-2K

Should charge the idiots for the fuel used in the rescue at least.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I agree Allan but the RNLI can't, personally as he was on the rocks out of the boat and in no danger until the tide turned would have left him there for 8 hours, teach him a lesson.

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Colorado mountain rescue does thing since sometime in the 1960s or 1970s if the rescue necessary due to stupidity.  I think Iceland was trying to do something similar with tourists who didn't listen to local weather and traffic advice.  Here has a law that hikes on certain mountains have to be guided.  My town had been sending up an armed cop with foreign hikers going up to Pena de la Cruz.   One set of hikers came down all semi-outraged and asked if that was necessary.   I told them yes.