Alamy, Is There No Plan . . .

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

No plan to fix the 500 internal system error? That was a very useful tool. 

As each week passes (soon to be month) without news I fear what I said in another thread on Saturday "this time the upgrade issues are likely too complex for them to resolve. I suppose, a bit like Covid, we will simply have to learn to live with it. Or until it becomes too much of an issue." is unfortunately the only plausible explanation.

Edited by sb photos

5 minutes ago, sb photos said:

As each week passes without news I fear what I said in another thread on Saturday "this time the upgrade issues are likely too complex for them to resolve. I suppose, a bit like Covid, we will simply have to learn to live with it. Or until it becomes too much of an issue." Unfortunately there's likely no other plausible explanation.

Possibly. But as someone that's coded two websites from scratch (still admittedly a novice), it should be an easy fix to point the hyperlink to the correct location. They already had the code for doing it....

• Love 1
  • Like 1

As Steve says, I don't think any of these problems are difficult to fix, many of them are just incorrect links that work elsewhere, and there are a lot of logical inconsistencies about the design that impede rational searching and must deter picture buyers. The overall speed may well be difficult to fix however, especially when switching to 'Creative'.

This '500 Internal Server' error is probably one of the least important as it only affects us so I'd be happy to see it at the back of the queue, but I've not seen any evidence that there is a queue.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Possibly. But as someone that's coded two websites from scratch (still admittedly a novice), it should be an easy fix to point the hyperlink to the correct location. They already had the code for doing it....

That is what a friend told me, but nothing is happening, either to resolve various issues or to inform contributors. Perhaps Alamy have no plan to resolve the issues and don't see a need to inform us. If so very strange considering the Alamy Forum questionnaire. I often wonder what customers make of this open forum, or journalists looking for a story, or even prompted to look via an Alamy rival once the heatwave dies down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I often wonder what customers make of this open forum, or journalists looking for a story, or even prompted to look via an Alamy rival once the heatwave dies down.

Definitely think the forum shouldn't be open, we should be able to discuss all this without it being available to all and sundry. We still refer to 'Alamy' but we are not getting anything like the support on here under the new PA regime that we used to get before the takeover. I fear their plans for the forum may not be positive.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

this issue may be control of changes as the Forum is not an Alamy site

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

That is what a friend told me, but nothing is happening, either to resolve various issues or to inform contributors. Perhaps Alamy have no plan to resolve the issues and don't see a need to inform us. If so very strange considering the Alamy Forum questionnaire. I often wonder what customers make of this open forum, or journalists looking for a story, or even prompted to look via an Alamy rival once the heatwave dies down.

Why would a customer view the forum? All they would find is disgruntled contributors moaning about remuneration and faulty forum tools. Can't see that being of interest to someone wanting to license an image. TBH I'm barely interested in it anymore. $ Dollar sales aren't what got me interested in Alamy and even a fully functional (closed) forum ain't gonna change that.

34 minutes ago, Alamy said:

We'll hopefully be able to implement changes so everyone feels like the forum is a worthwhile resource.

Hi James, thanks for the response and positive message.

• Like 1

That you so very much, James -- it's always good to hear from you. I'm sure all of us will feel better and be more patient now. 

And James, while the team is fixing stuff, do you think they could fix the lifts in my building and stop the fire alarm from going off? 😃

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

And James, while the team is fixing stuff, do you think they could fix the lifts in my building and stop the fire alarm from going off? 😃

I'll have a word

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Alamy said:

Hi Ed - assuming you're referring to the image link under your forum name?

Yep - there is a plan and the plan is to fix this soon. On the face of it, it's a simple one but in reality it's a bit more complex and needs to be investigated properly before we can publish the fix. Once it's done we'll let you know and it should just be a case of logging off the forum and then back in again to generate a correct link. There are lots of moving parts to a development such as the homepage relaunch so these types of fixes form part of a wider list of tweaks to be worked on too.

More wider, on the subject about our forum involvement, I was sorry to read the impression that we do not interact here as much as we used to. The reality is, this is and always has been a contributor forum and we have a limited amount of time to be involved directly - especially if those interactions become unproductive/unprofessional in tone - there will always be someone who asks a question we can't address and then it appears as though we are being unfair. We'd love to make the forum work better for everyone which is why we've asked for the feedback in the other thread. We'll hopefully be able to implement changes so everyone feels like the forum is a worthwhile resource.

Cheers,

James Allsworth

Head of Content

Hi James,

Thanks for responding to Ed's thread.

Whenever there are problems both contributors who aren't active on the forum, and others join to find out what's going on. These contributors are likely a small percentage of the total number of contributors, and many of these that are active currently must be wondering what's going with the dashboard related issues. As you have a limited time to become involved with the problems we are aware of, why not delegate someone to send an email listing known issues and what is being done to resolve them to all contributors. Then contributors will not feel abandoned. If contributors realise they are aware of additional issues not listed, they can contact CR. Good communications is always the solution..

If only you could reduce the heat as well as resolving Alamy issues. I'm sitting indoors with all windows and the backdoor open, one fan running and it's 35 deg C!

Steve

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Alamy said:

More wider, on the subject about our forum involvement, I was sorry to read the impression that we do not interact here as much as we used to. The reality is, this is and always has been a contributor forum and we have a limited amount of time to be involved directly - especially if those interactions become unproductive/unprofessional in tone - there will always be someone who asks a question we can't address and then it appears as though we are being unfair. We'd love to make the forum work better for everyone which is why we've asked for the feedback in the other thread. We'll hopefully be able to implement changes so everyone feels like the forum is a worthwhile resource.

Cheers,

James Allsworth

Head of Content

Hi James,

I think you're missing the many positives that are produced by forum members by not interacting more.

Many members(not me!) have invested huge amounts of time and effort into beta testing the recent updates yet there has not been any acknowledgement of their work.

Other concerns that are raised which cannot be answered by speculation are being ignored. If these were addressed on even a once a month post by Alamy then the contributors and the business would benefit enormously(In my view!).

Anyway thanks for coming in and hopefully the forum questionaire replies will show an improvement in communication between Alamy and the forum members.

Phil

• Love 2
  • Like 2

I'm very grateful to have had this update, and very pleased that it was from James who I'm sure is very busy. It has to be said however that this issue with the '500 Internal Server Error' was raised on here exactly 4 weeks ago and we have had no information about it until now, many contributors asked Alamy directly from that thread for an update.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/15673-500-internal-server-error/#comment-318171

It's also reassuring that there is a 'wider list of tweaks' being worked on. i'm one of those who have been beta-testing in my own time, posting issues on here as I find them. I could spend even more time compiling them all in a report and sending this to contributors@alamy.com but really I'd like to think that there has been someone at Alamy, paid by Alamy, keeping an eye on here for such issues.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Hi James,

Thanks for responding to Ed's thread.

Whenever there are problems both contributors who aren't active on the forum, and others join to find out what's going on. These contributors are likely a small percentage of the total number of contributors, and many of these that are active currently must be wondering what's going with the dashboard related issues. As you have a limited time to become involved with the problems we are aware of, why delegate someone to send an email listing known issues and what is being done to resolve them to all contributors. Then contributors will not feel abandoned. If contributors realise they are aware of additional issues not listed, they can contact CR. Good communications is always the solution..

If only you could reduce the heat as well as resolving Alamy issues. I'm sitting indoors with all windows and the backdoor open, one fan running and it's 35 deg C!

Steve

Thanks James!

Steve, it's going to hit 103F here in NY by the end of the week  (I was relieved to see "only" 88F today since I have lots of errands to run)- 125F in parts of the southwest. It's a shame that climate change will mean the need for more air conditioners which themselves are so bad for the earth. Hope the fan keeps you cool - drink lots of water. We're used to a few 90 and 100 degree days but weeks of this weather is just brutal. I can't imagine what it's like to get to 125. Hope the weather breaks for you across the pond soon. 

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Thanks James!

Steve, it's going to hit 103F here in NY by the end of the week  (I was relieved to see "only" 88F today since I have lots of errands to run)- 125F in parts of the southwest. It's a shame that climate change will mean the need for more air conditioners which themselves are so bad for the earth. Hope the fan keeps you cool - drink lots of water. We're used to a few 90 and 100 degree days but weeks of this weather is just brutal. I can't imagine what it's like to get to 125. Hope the weather breaks for you across the pond soon. 

I was originally brought up on deg F, but for a long time have only used deg C after the UK changed from Fahrenheit in the 1960's. I can always remember 68 F is 20 C from my film developing days. For anything else I refer to a chart. The temperature downstairs in my house this afternoon approximated 95 F. It was hotter outside when I walked just 3.3km (2m) to view nearby progress made at excavations for Englands controversial HS2 (High Speed 2) railway line. I was glad to get back home for an ice cold drink.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, sb photos said:

I was originally brought up on deg F, but for a long time have only used deg C after the UK changed from Fahrenheit in the 1960's. I can always remember 68 F is 20 C from my film developing days. For anything else I refer to a chart. The temperature downstairs in my house this afternoon approximated 95 F. It was hotter outside when I walked just 3.3km (2m) to view nearby progress made at excavations for Englands controversial HS2 (High Speed 2) railway line. I was glad to get back home for an ice cold drink.

Ya'll boil up north and down south of here, and Jinotega, at one thousand meters, has highs in the seventies and low eighties F. and lows in the 60s, and lots of rain.  We're at around 13 to 14 degrees latitude north of the equator.  Looks like the mid latitudes are getting hit worse by climate change than the highland tropics, though there have been lowland fires from here to the Amazon basin at various times.

10 hours ago, sb photos said:

I was originally brought up on deg F, but for a long time have only used deg C after the UK changed from Fahrenheit in the 1960's. I can always remember 68 F is 20 C from my film developing days. For anything else I refer to a chart.

I'm not really interested in the exact figures - the only thing that matters is how the weather feels at the time. Years ago, when Britain was first getting used to Celsius and people were grumbling about having to translate from Fahrenheit, I remember someone saying that all you need to know is that 0 is ****** cold, 10 is cold, 20 is warm, 30 is hot, and 40 is ****** hot. When you think about it, for everyday living that really is all you need to know :)

Alan

• Like 1