Jump to content

July challenge -- Alfresco


Ed Rooney

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately the history of "blackface" is really disgusting. Unbelievably insulting. I do wish, though, that we could move forward without carrying all of the awful parts of history with us. Getting ourselves into the present isn't easy it seems.

 

Paulette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Unfortunately the history of "blackface" is really disgusting. Unbelievably insulting. I do wish, though, that we could move forward without carrying all of the awful parts of history with us. Getting ourselves into the present isn't easy it seems.

 

Paulette

I would agree, in the US context, but from what I can gather, its use in English morris has little or nothing to do with any associations it may hold in your country. Morris is far older than the US in any case.

That photograph was taken over a decade ago and from a glance at their website it would appear that most of those dancers no longer black up. Some appear to use patterns and designs which chime in with the rather unwoke explanation that it is a ritualised form of disguise.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good competition - well done Ed; Here's my three:

 

1. Safari, Namibia

 

namibia-tourists-tourists-having-a-meal-in-the-namibia-desert-during-a-safari-with-their-guide-namib-desert-namibia-africa-PY969M.jpg

 

2. Dubrovnik Old Town;

 

dubrovnik-holiday-tourists-and-locals-eating-at-a-restaurant-outdoors-in-the-evening-dubrovnik-old-town-dubrovnik-croatia-europe-2A13ATM.jpg

 

 

3. Farmers' market evening, Laparade, The Lot valley, France

 

evening-farmers-market-in-the-bastide-village-of-laparade-aquitaine-BEA239.jpg

 

Kumar

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

the rather unwoke explanation that it is a ritualised form of disguise.

 The special police here (riots/drugs/etc., similar to US Swat teams) wear full balaclavas and one guy in Leon could always ID the various coppers regardless, much to the disgust of one of them (heard about through his wife). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I would agree, in the US context, but from what I can gather, its use in English morris has little or nothing to do with any associations it may hold in your country. Morris is far older than the US in any case.

That photograph was taken over a decade ago and from a glance at their website it would appear that most of those dancers no longer black up. Some appear to use patterns and designs which chime in with the rather unwoke explanation that it is a ritualised form of disguise.

 

The site that John referenced says that particular group dresses as "Moorish" pirates [their emphasis] so it's pretty unmistakable that it's not really about hiding their identities (I can think of a particularly nasty group here in the US that did so with white masks and cloaks). If the group Bryan photographed now paints their faces with designs rather than all black, it would seem they are trying to salvage a tradition while trying to be more sensitive to the negative connotations associated with their original "costumes" (however "unwoke" their explanation).

 

In any event, as editorial photographers, we are turning our lens on the world as it is, not as we wish it was. It seems that we are still dragging some of the 19th century along with us here in the 21st. 

 

Discussing our thoughts about it rationally and pointing it out when we see something troubling helps get us all closer to those 21st century ideals we'd like to see for all of our countries. 

 

Now if only I'd taken photographs on Saturday when we stopped in New Haven to get Mexican food from one of the many food trucks along the highway. Families were picnicking along the shore. I thought, with stock photo pricing being what it was, why bother - I should have known Edo would choose alfresco dining - congrats on your win Edo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lobster-dinner-with-drawn-butter-lemon-a

 

Above: A New England summer treat - lobster with drawn butter and corn on the cob eaten alfresco.

 

Below: Alfresco dining at Le Bouchon Brasserie, Cold Spring, NY in the Hudson Valley

 

le-bouchon-brasserie-cold-spring-putnam-

 

Definitely a hole in my portfolio I need to fill. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

People -- please stop putting up images that are not part of the July challenge. Open up a different post. 

 

Edo

Apologies Edo.

Somehow I jumped threads when posting earlier.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Martin L said:

Loving this, Jean-francois. Great capture

 

Thanks.  friendly owl that hung around all winter- really helped my sanity in first winter of the pandemic.  this time i just sat in a spot and he/she came down to catch the vole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

People -- please stop putting up images that are not part of the July challenge. Open up a different post. 

 

Edo

 

Sorry Edo! Mea culpa!  (I deleted it so that should help)

Edited by Marianne
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done Ed,

 

And now I am hungry.

😉

 

First a fish burger and fries  on an outdoor restaurant terrace:

fish-burger-2G2B4GA.jpg

 

 

A Japanese man eating sushi outdoor in Kyoto:

japanese-salaryman-eating-his-lunch-outd

 

And sharing a tomato slice straight out of the sandwich:

people-enjoy-the-katherine-show-in-kathe

 

Bon appetite everyone.

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.