BHZ changed for the first time in years

Steve Dorey

Question

Hi All

I don't know how many of you still use bhz to measure your position in searches.

I'm a bit of a bean-counter so I have measured my different pseudonyms on the 1st of every month since 2007.

(It's a bit sad really)!

Anyway, today I have noticed the first significant change in the position of some of my pseudonyms since 2017.

(Alamy used to update them every 100 days or so).

Has anyone else noticed a change?

• Like 1

I think there's definitely a link between the change in BHZ order and the disappearance of the 'deleted' thread (!)

The most entertaining thread we've had in years and it's gone!

Am i watching the BBC here ?

GD

• Like 2

It's been a while since I checked, but looking at BHZ today my image seems to have moved up a fair amount. That makes no sense, as I haven't been uploading and haven't had any zooms or sales so far this year. If Alamy have moved to ranking each image individually rather than by pseudonym, that could explain it.

I haven't looked at BHZ for the past month or so but that is an interesting observation. Having now looked I find that what I thought were my 'worst' pseudonyms are now both on Page 1 and what I though was my best which reflects most of my sales and zooms and increasing CTR has now been relegated from Page 1 to Page 8!! How this is all worked out goodness knows and I'm now wondering if this is part of the reason for my declining sales over the past month or so!!  

interesting. What i am seeing is my image with BHZ in caption+tag, never sold never zoomed,  has now bumped to page 1, and the one with it has ST and Tag only have dropped significantly, even the one that has been zoomed. 

Edited by meanderingemu

Woo hoo! Pseudonym moved to page 1 - position 54 - (CTR 1.47).

Boo hoo! Main pseudo slipped from page 8 to page 10 - position 910 (CTR 0.83)

I don't think mine have moved much.  Out of 26 pages:

top pseudo: mid page 6

bulk pseudo: top page 11

bottom pseudo: mid page 13

This is with BHZ as supertag only in RM images.  I notice that those on page 1 all have BHZ in the caption too.  If BHZ is a tag, supertag AND in the caption, then placement will be higher than one with BHZ only as a supertag.  But hey, it's all relative.

BTW, putting many images (beach, lion etc...) from the same pseudo serves no purpose.  One will do.

Edited by Reimar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Woo hoo! Pseudonym moved to page 1 - position 54 - (CTR 1.47).

Boo hoo! Main pseudo slipped from page 8 to page 10 - position 910 (CTR 0.83)

Can I bet your main pseudo doesn't have BHZ in the caption?

1 hour ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Mine does and it still dropped from Page 1 to Page 8.

Has one of your lesser pseudos taken the position that the main one had before?

wim

Incredible! I have none on the last page at all. And one on page 4 - far above any previous BHZ search. When I started with this years ago, my images all clustered on the back page. Sales are still awful, but maybe there's hope.

I had more or less forgotten about BHZ. It seems that my two main pseudos have slipped to pages nine and 10. I have BHZ in the keywords only, not as a super tag. I don't have BHZ in my two "lesser" pseudos.

As I recall, Jesus occupied the #1 BHZ position for ages. Now he's nowhere to be seen. Will he be coming back, I wonder... 🙃

Edited by John Mitchell

Mmm... my test image (with BHZ as Supertag only) has moved from page 11 to page 3. I'd like to think that's good news, but I've not noticed an increase in overall views yet... Maybe the change has only just happened? However, I rechecked placements of a coupe of my other images with "real world" searches, and they haven't moved significantly. Not sure what's going on. 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

14 hours ago, Reimar said:

Can I bet your main pseudo doesn't have BHZ in the caption?

Blimey Reimar you're right! I do have BHZ in the caption for my small pseudonym, in addition to super-tag. I must have been doing some weighting testing and left it there as there were no more re-ranks.

Then I am going to add BHZ to caption to my main pseudo and see if it moves up from page 10. It's already a super-tag. I've tested it many times before and the combination caption/super-tag is the most powerful one for ranking. Results after database update. Thank you for pointing that out.

13 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Has one of your lesser pseudos taken the position that the main one had before?

wim

13 hours ago, Reimar said:

Jim's first post said it has.

My 'worst' pseudo has always been on page 1 which I don't understand. My pseudo number two has been promoted from page 2 to page 1 which leaves my main pseudo which has dropped from page 1 to page 8. 

I'm going to keep a watch on how this affects my views, zooms, and sales. Maybe it will, maybe it won't! Time will tell. It's all still a bit of a mystery to me as to how all this is calculated.

Jim 😏

On 02/05/2022 at 14:22, Steve Dorey said:

Anyway, today I have noticed the first significant change in the position of some of my pseudonyms since 2017.

That's probably about when I deleted my BHZ in order to stop bothering about it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

That's probably about when I deleted my BHZ in order to stop bothering about it.

Ditto.

Allan

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

My BHZ image has moved from Page 1 image #2 (last time I checked) to Page 1 image #22. Not a major issue, my complaint is that it was rightly at position #2 because it actually is an image of a BHZ car plate. 

The search engine algorithm and/or ranking has definitely changed and it's maybe not for the better. Image searches now show even more irrevelent images up front, especially one word searches limited to the last 2 years. My views have plummeted since the end of last week. The last 3 months were my best ever for # of licenses, averaging more than 1 a day, to be rewarded with rank demotion seems like a kick in the teeth. It seems that others are being rewarded for keyword spamming. I have no problem with a diversity algorithm giving everyone a fair chance, but mediocrity will surely scare editors away.

I added BHZ to the caption in my top pseudo image.  It went from page 6 to page 1.

I think we need a level playing field for those testing rank with bhz.  I thought having BHZ as a supertag only was standard, and suggest it would be best if everyone used the same benchmark.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I added BHZ to the caption in my top pseudo image.  It went from page 6 to page 1.

I think we need a level playing field for those testing rank with bhz.  I thought having BHZ as a supertag only was standard, and suggest it would be best if everyone used the same benchmark.

Ditto. I added bhz to the caption of my main pseudo, in addition to supertag, and the image jumped from page 10 to page 1.

I agree, my test is over and I have removed bhz from caption as per rules.

• Like 1