What Do You Dislike About the Way Other Photogs Do Things?

Martin, I don't hate you, I hate the bags.

Big, bulky, and scream expensive camera (even if it isn't). In my neck of the woods, and there are a lot of tourists here who carry them, it's just begging for a visit from a thief. 

• Love 1

I’ve never left my kit in the car unless I was nearby in eyesight of it.  Then the camera is with me, and only a spare lens or two in the car. Cases, I use them to carry gear to family member’s homes where the gear is safe, and to protect the gear while driving. 
That said, I’ve never felt I was in danger of theft where I go.
Even so, I give zero theft opportunity because I alway think that Murphy guy who makes stupid laws might be around. I’ve butted heads with him over other things.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That said, I’ve never felt I was in danger of theft where I go.
Even so, I give zero theft opportunity because I alway think that Murphy guy who makes stupid laws might be around. I’ve butted heads with him over other things.

Same here Betty. Wether I have a backpack or shoulder bag with me in the car, if on the way home I'm doing a shop, it always stays with me. It only stays on the back seat or in the boot if I'm shooting close to the car and it's in full view.

Back in my Hampstead days, there was a bloke who regularly joined us in our favourite pub. He usually wore a very nice Leica , he wasn't a photographer but he wore a Leica as a statement. I'm glad to say he was never mugged, but I doubted the wisdom. My son was a skateboarder where scruffy was cool. He had a really strong little padded backpack which I have used for several years for my modest little DSLR outfit. It pays to not advertise!

On 11/10/2021 at 13:10, Ed Rooney said:

We all have out own workflow. I do what I do, and you do things . . . wrong. Yes, that's smart-assed and outrageous of me, but here we go. 

Why are so many photogs walking around with a lens hood on the lens in reverse? What is that supposed to do? Put the damn thing on right and live it on! Regardless of the lighting and flare, it won't do any hard. And it will protect the front element if you drop the camera or bump into something. 

And when they carry a DSLR or any other camera-shaped camera, why do they have the front of the lens pointing out? It can bump into people and things that way. Hang the camera over your shoulder with the lens pointed in at your butt. Yes, by 'they' I mean 'you!' 

Edwardo of Brooklyn

Again I am with you Edo......

And would add my favorite "Idiot Photographer" story; a wire guy who should know better, sits down in the middle of the stage while a U.S. presidential candidate is speaking.  This over weight blob sits in the middle of the stage to edit and upload photos to his service.  The candidate should have kicked him in the head.........

Chuck

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

.....sits down in the middle of the stage while......

I nearly didn't have anything to add, but the one thing that does make me embarrassed on their behalf is the photographer that believes that them getting 'the' shot trumps everything else going on around them. I did intend adding an image illustrating just that, with an actor at an open air performance being spoilt by a ring of 'paps', but they may not see it that way, should anyone be recognised. In subsequent years the event has corralled photographers in a corner, to their ire. Actions have consequences which can impact others, but some don't believe that applies to them.

• Love 1

21 hours ago, Martin L said:

Not sure having a camera round your neck in the open is a better deterrent

I don't carry them around my neck unless I'm actually shooting something. Otherwise they are "hidden" in my nondescript messenger bag. Sometimes I even carry them in my canvas shopping bag. Anything but a camera bag or out in the open.

• Love 1

21 hours ago, kimba said:

Martin, I don't hate you, I hate the bags.

Big, bulky, and scream expensive camera (even if it isn't). In my neck of the woods, and there are a lot of tourists here who carry them, it's just begging for a visit from a thief. 

i guess you only own one body and maybe a couple of lenses max.  Camera bags are the only efficient way I have found to contain my gear.  I guess i could buy 3-4 padded pods and try and fit them in a hiking bag, but that would probably double/triple my costs.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 03:30, Ed Rooney said:

I almost always have a Yankee cap on when shooting -- with the visor pointed forward. I'm wondering if you reach your elbow high when doing verticals? I don't. I keep both arms down and use my thumb on the release. I couldn't wear a helmet in combat though. 

I wore the cap with my SLRs. These small Sonys I'm using now call for different handling -- a wrist strap for one thing. RX10, a6000, and tiny RX100s. 

Someone wearing a Yankee cap that's the one thing that really gets me? 😆 Yeah, I'm one of the floppy hat people, no baseball caps. To each their own and their own teams and clubs too.

#1 Actually, continuous chimping after almost every shot. I can understand, you are getting settings and want to see the display and some metrics like highlights or something else, but after almost every shot? How much is missed when someone is looking at the back of their camera, instead of through the lens? How much detail can you see on that little screen?

#2 people telling me a phone is as good as a DSLR. Lets say for example, my Honda gets me to the store and can carry my groceries, but no way is it going to beat a Ferrari being driven in the right hands. A big expensive camera will not make someone better, but it will make a much better tool for someone who knows how to use it. Hmm, maybe I'm wrong? People who shoot with their phone and believe it's as good as a camera, probably are doing the best they can anyway?

• Love 2

21 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

i guess you only own one body and maybe a couple of lenses max.  Camera bags are the only efficient way I have found to contain my gear.  I guess i could buy 3-4 padded pods and try and fit them in a hiking bag, but that would probably double/triple my costs.  

You are right. When I go out shooting I take one camera body with one lens attached. I never take the lens off of the body, I just store it in a holster and put the holster in a messenger bag. I only bring a tripod along if I'm doing a day trip in a car. 

I usually have only in my one good camera at a time. Plus the iPhone. 

On 18/10/2021 at 10:52, Avpics said:

I nearly didn't have anything to add, but the one thing that does make me embarrassed on their behalf is the photographer that believes that them getting 'the' shot trumps everything else going on around them. I did intend adding an image illustrating just that, with an actor at an open air performance being spoilt by a ring of 'paps', but they may not see it that way, should anyone be recognised. In subsequent years the event has corralled photographers in a corner, to their ire. Actions have consequences which can impact others, but some don't believe that applies to them.

But he was not making pictures or getting anything, just getting in the way while he uploaded.....

Chuck

2 hours ago, kimba said:

You are right. When I go out shooting I take one camera body with one lens attached. I never take the lens off of the body, I just store it in a holster and put the holster in a messenger bag. I only bring a tripod along if I'm doing a day trip in a car. 

I usually have only in my one good camera at a time. Plus the iPhone. 

Not talking about shooting,  speaking about total gear ownership.   Some of us have decided to forgo car ownership, or permanency of residence.  Camera bag really makes moving much easier.  

12 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Not talking about shooting,  speaking about total gear ownership.   Some of us have decided to forgo car ownership, or permanency of residence.  Camera bag really makes moving much easier.  

I'm not talking about hating camera bags used for storage. I have a few that have been given to over the years but I keep them in my storage unit. I get moving around a lot. I live in a VW Bus. Much more the reason to keep my gear incognito. 

I can understand hating camera bags for your own use but what others use doesn't affect me at all.  I see some using photo backpacks, others using a messenger style bag or a traditional bag, while others use holsters or slings.  Whatever works it works for their unique needs.  I personally use a large bag, with camera bodies and an array of lenses and gadgets when I am out on an assignment, often with lighting cases too.  But when out for a stroll and shooting for fun, I use a messenger style bag that can hold my Sony RX10 and/or my Sony RX100 and a few other small items such as a lens cloth or mini tripod.  Back in my 20s and 30s, I carried around a bag with two film bodies and up 7 lenses, didn't bother me a bit.  But now I am paying the price, I have back and knee issues.  All my assignment gear goes on a cart and I usually work with an assistant.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I can understand hating camera bags for your own use but what others use doesn't affect me at all.  I see some using photo backpacks, others using a messenger style bag or a traditional bag, while others use holsters or slings.  Whatever works it works for their unique needs.  I personally use a large bag, with camera bodies and an array of lenses and gadgets when I am out on an assignment, often with lighting cases too.  But when out for a stroll and shooting for fun, I use a messenger style bag that can hold my Sony RX10 and/or my Sony RX100 and a few other small items such as a lens cloth or mini tripod.  Back in my 20s and 30s, I carried around a bag with two film bodies and up 7 lenses, didn't bother me a bit.  But now I am paying the price, I have back and knee issues.  All my assignment gear goes on a cart and I usually work with an assistant.

Back in my 20’s I used 2 x OM1’s and an OM2, with 7 Zuiko prime lenses, small and light. All packed into a shoulder bag. Currently I have too many bags, many were bought for specific trips, others were bought as they were more useful than bags I already thought were the best. I must move some on. In current use is a backpack that holds 3 bodies with lenses attached, covering 17mm to 300mm, a shoulder bag that holds 2 bodies with lenses attached (24-70 and 70-300), both of these can carry a 13” or 11” Apple laptop. Then a small shoulder bag that will hold a body with lens attached, and a very small shoulder bag for the RX100, masks, gel, batteries and a snack. 

Re other photographers bags, they don’t bother me unless they are wearing a big bulky backpack in a crowd, bashing in to me and others.

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, FocusUno said:

What Do You Dislike About the Way Other Photogs Do Things?

it had to be "dislike" didn't it

it could have been "like"

but now its too late & we are all bloody stuck with "dislike"...

You could star a new thread 🤔

Phil