BHZs are just markers. A low placement says nothing about the sales or ranking of that particular image. It appears in searches in the usual way.

My BHZ image is at the top of the page on a search for the town in which it is located. In fact, it's the only 'creative' image for that search.

. . . and . . . BHZ order is determined by the comparative rank of individual pseudos, not the rank of an individual image (which, despite some promises some time ago, and afaik, does not exist).

dd

Pictures aren't sold because they are pretty. They are sold because they are fit to illustrate an article. You can have the most beautiful picture in the world but if nobody writes about it, it won't get sold. That's why you rather sell a close-up of a glass of beer (Mirco where are ya? :D ) instead of a stunning sunset.

Cheers,

Philippe

Dont forget to mention the LECH logo on the glass :)..... and the fact that i started drinking allready before. So it was an ugly looking glass of beer. The most real glass of beer i could make. But it is indeed true what you say. I can not take example (yet) from my Alamy portfolio but on other agencies i see most sales from things that are so straight forward to produce.  Actually most of the things that we consume or use can sell. I got rejections on one agency of a single chair in a empty room .... reason "no commercial value". On other agency it is one of my bestsellers. But off course subjects has to fit on some articles. I will not shoot a rusty screw on a piece of cheese..........useless. A close-up of the rusty screw himself is a different story. Article about old fixet assets as example.

All but 4 of the images on the last page are by someone who has put BHZ in 37 images. Inexplicable.

Paulette

I just deleted BHZ on my test image. I've been meaning to do that for sometime. I know from doing specific test searches on subjects I have that my ranking is good. 

All but 4 of the images on the last page are by someone who has put BHZ in 37 images. Inexplicable.

Paulette

I just deleted BHZ on my test image. I've been meaning to do that for sometime. I know from doing specific test searches on subjects I have that my ranking is good. 

Same here, deleted the BHZ key word. Also prefer my own test searches - and I am also quite satisfied as things are.

Paulette

Same here, deleted the BHZ key word. Also prefer my own test searches - and I am also quite satisfied as things are.

Just deleted my BHZ too. "Baaaa". I never seem to move much in the rankings anyway so no point playing the game.

Allan

Paulette

Just deleted my BHZ too. "Baaaa". I never seem to move much in the rankings anyway so no point playing the game.

Allan

Whoo-hoo !! That means I'll move up at least three places (in the BHZ game) :)

The BHZ set has been very useful for me (and for many others) as a place to experiment with keywording and pseudos. Or to see where a new pseudo would fall. When one or all of the goalposts had moved it has been the only way to determine what had been changed and how to react. There must be a ton of good info on the old forum. Clever people could make money with that: workshop Six Sigma with BHZ! ;-)

wim

I also find BHZ useful, if only to rule out one hypothesis for the various ups and downs in my other statistics. For example, I recently saw a big drop in the number of views and zooms I've been getting. Could a change in rank have made the difference? I checked BHZ, saw that I hadn't moved (I've never moved much), and concluded it had to be something else. I don't rely only on BHZ to test my rank (I try out other searches as well), but it's the easiest and quickest way I know of.

I'm puzzled that anyone would want to opt out  - as far as I can see there is no significant downside to members having an image or two in this BHZ 'game'. Is there something I'm missing?

Certainly BHZ has its limitations as a measuring tool, but participants can take account of that and take BHZ more or less seriously as they please. It could be argued that participating, even if you don't take any notice of the results, is an act of altruism as the greater the number of participants the more accurate the results will be.

I found BHZ to be useful to me when I dropped significantly in the rankings after a year or so here; it made me re-think my keywording practices to try to avoid generating views where the image had only peripheral relevance to the search keyword.

Ah now. I just jumped from page 15 in the BHZ game to page 5 !

This was because I put the BHZ into 'essential keywords' rather than 'main keywords' where it was before a few days ago.

Am I getting this right? Should the BHZ be in 'essential'?

Best 

Richard

Ah now. I just jumped from page 15 in the BHZ game to page 5 !

This was because I put the BHZ into 'essential keywords' rather than 'main keywords' where it was before a few days ago.

Am I getting this right? Should the BHZ be in 'essential'?

Best 

Richard

Yes

Last time I checked, I found that I had moved down, and this was after sales and zooms; so was not sure what to figure (other than trying to upload more photos). However, I did notice that there were several people above me who had marked more than 1 photo with BHZ, so this added another complication. 

Archived