Goodbye and thank you!

I shall be leaving Alamy on the 23rd of the month, and I assume that once my account is closed I shall no longer be able to post on the forum. So I would like to say thank you to all the contributors for their support over the years. I hope my occasional contributions have been of some use to some of you.

I've long put off building my own website, but over the last couple of weeks, I've been dabbling with setting up a subset of my portfolio on Pizpa. I invested £17 for a website (2 years) and £65 ($90 with a 25% discount on list) for a year's hosting. I've then spent probably 4 days in total organising around 200 images and building a basic site.

The result of my investment in time & hard cash can be seen here: https://www.imagesbyrussell.co.uk/

Please feel free to to a look. I'd really appreciate any comments or feedback you would like to offer. If you have any questions about Pixpa or how I went about setting it up,  please ask, either in this forum or after 23/7 via the contact sheet on my Gallery which will result in an email to me.

That's all from me so sadly then, goodbye!

• Love 6
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BobD said:

Are you intending to sell via the website or just use it as a gallery/ shop window.

That's a longer term intention. Initially I'll perhaps try POD - I'm looking at a company called DStudio for that https://dstudiouk.com

Though Pixpa can be configured for downloads and a direct POD link if you wish. That's perhaps later down the line.

Incidentally the Gallery images are limited to 2400 * 2400 max pixels and 75% (adjustable) quality with right click disabled when displayed in a Gallery, though they will also hold a full size image for POD or Client download.

40 minutes ago, Russell said:

That's a longer term intention. Initially I'll perhaps try POD - I'm looking at a company called DStudio for that https://dstudiouk.com

Though Pixpa can be configured for downloads and a direct POD link if you wish. That's perhaps later down the line.

Incidentally the Gallery images are limited to 2400 * 2400 max pixels and 75% (adjustable) quality with right click disabled when displayed in a Gallery, though they will also hold a full size image for POD or Client download.

Hi Russell, Sorry you are leaving but quite understandable.  I had to think long and hard bearing in mind my own abilities.

I think you will need to check "Right Click"  Just tried it on an image in one of your galleries and could have downloaded it.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

think you will need to check "Right Click"  Just tried it on an image in one of your galleries and could have downloaded it.

Thanks for that Alan, any clue which gallery it was in?

Update

I think I have now managed to disable right click completely. Thanks for pointing it out Alan.

Edited by Russell

Very nice website and wonderful images. I appreciate how easy it is to navigate. The fancier ones that seem to be hiding what I want to see just drive me away. Simple and clear is excellent. I'm sorry you are leaving. Hope all goes well.

Paulette

I wonder if anyone thought of leaving a few images up just to get access to the forum. You would have to delete manually of course, and have the remainder searchable for 3 months.

Edited by spacecadet

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I wonder if anyone thought of leaving a few images up just to get access to the forum. You would have to delete manually of course, and have the remainder searchable for 3 months.

it would also mean you accepted the changes, so any sales that Alamy deems after July 24th would be under the new clauses. 

Edited by meanderingemu

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

I wonder if anyone thought of leaving a few images up just to get access to the forum.

I considered that but am going for the clean break. Otherwise I would still be checking for sales every day! 

Stock was always a sideline to our print business anyway and we can make more from one print sale than we get from Alamy in a year! 

As we’re both 70 this year we’re simplifying our working life! 

• Love 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

it would also mean you accepted the changes, so any sales that Alamy deems after July 24th would be under the new clauses. 

Presumably not for images that were removed from sale by special request (not via AIM) before the new contract comes into force as that deleted content would only be covered by the current contract.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

14 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Presumably not for images that were removed from sale by special request (not via AIM) before the new contract comes into force as that deleted content would only be covered by the current contract.

Mark

If you accept the contract, ie. don't terminate, you accept it for everything that happens after the effective date, and since Alamy deems a sale to happen the date they find out about it, when the image was available for licensing would likely be deemed irrelevant by their interpretation. 

note: this is based on actual precedent of Alamy deeming their administrative process overrules the term of the Contract, in case of commission for Exclusive Images in current contract.  Though the contract clearly states exclusive content is commissioned at 50%, Alamy has a non contractual administrative policy that if you didn't check the right box in the Image "Optional" information you do not qualify for this commission even if image was Exclusive, as some have found trying to have them make adjustments after the fact. 

Edited by meanderingemu

56 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

If you accept the contract, ie. don't terminate, you accept it for everything that happens after the effective date,

I won’t accept any of the new liability terms being applied to content which was deleted before the date of the new contract. They can’t change terms retrospectively.

Mark

Just now, M.Chapman said:

I won’t accept any of the new liability terms being applied to content which was deleted before the date of the new contract. They can’t change terms retrospectively.

Mark

Even if image is deleted as per current contract Alamy is allowed to licence it for 6 months after the deletion and that even after date it disappears from searches, all that deletion does is reduced the chance of a client finding it, which takes it into the new contract terms- Contract is based on full portfolio, not just specific images sadly. 

They will argue that they are respecting the contract, based on their interpretation, and this has been confirmed to others, that Date of Sale is date they find out about it and client actually reports it. 

i personally don't agree with their "sale date" practice being contractually supported, but sadly i doubt the amount lost will warrant me seeking legal recourse, but should impact on liability arise this will be my line of argumentation, which is why i have always careful when commenting on it  and use words like "deem" and "non-contractually defined" 😉 . 

4 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I considered that but am going for the clean break. Otherwise I would still be checking for sales every day! 

Stock was always a sideline to our print business anyway and we can make more from one print sale than we get from Alamy in a year! 

As we’re both 70 this year we’re simplifying our working life! 

You have some very nice images for sale on your website. Do you do your own printing?

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Good luck to you Russell and the others who are moving on.  Feels a bit like the end of high school and the kids leaving town for bigger and hopefully better things.  

That's a good analogy. Best of luck to the "Class of 2021."👩‍🎓 👨‍🎓

Sounds like there could be tumbleweeds rolling down the forum hallways in a couple of weeks...

• Love 1

1 hour ago, BobD said:

You have some very nice images for sale on your website. Do you do your own printing?

Yes, we print and frame everything in house. Right down to making the bespoke transit boxes! 

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

That's a good analogy. Best of luck to the "Class of 2021."👩‍🎓 👨‍🎓

Sounds like there could be tumbleweeds rolling down the forum hallways in a couple of weeks...

A lot less posts that's for sure.

Allan

13 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I wonder if anyone thought of leaving a few images up just to get access to the forum.

yes and become part of elite group having more posts than images, who needs high CTR when you've got high P/I

Edited by FocusUno
to add a comma like this ===> ,

A big thank you to everyone for your kind comments. It's good to know that I'm on the right track with the website. Wishing you all every success with your photography with Alamy and beyond.

Russell

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Although I'm not quitting Alamy the changes have prompted me to take a similar approach to you Russel. Going forwards I'm going to try and focus more on planned thought out shoots and seek to develop more niche / local specific content. Alamy may continue to get the odd opportunistic grab shot and the third rate 'you never know it could sell' stuff.

I've done some basic web design myself in the past so I've set up my site (www.hd57.com) as a front end blog to pimp the content I'm putting on a picfair powered store (stock.hd57.com). From some limited experience I think some sort of blog / social media activity is essential to slowly get your site some to traction in Google (other search engines are available). Simply creating a site, adding images and sitting back waiting for clicks/downloads is  very unlikely to work. If nothing else trying to achieve a little with solo efforts does make a photographer appreciate a little of what an agency does/has to earn their commission. However without content an agency is nothing, so taking more than half for low fees and low volume sales......well.....

Edited by AlexH
Typo
  • Love 1
  • Like 1