Contract Change 2021 - Official thread

1 minute ago, Keith Douglas said:

All figures from Companies House. They give figures in £. The figures I quoted are in $ (because the other data I was comparing it to was my own gross sales in $). £1 = $1.30. So £15.2m in 2012 = $19.5m

But the trend is clear. $ per image falling by 15% a year. So, all other things being equal, you'd have to increase your portfolio by 15% per year just to stand still. Which is roughly what my own sales figures show. 

And explains why my static portfolio fell like a stone while I took a multi-year sabbaticasl

1 hour ago, Martin P Wilson said:

In my searches I have taken some slight comfort in that there appear to be some old school librraies out, some wwell established. They select their photograsphers, curate their collection and pay 50% - but that is a discussion for elsewhere. I must assume from what I see that there are some customers who choose to use full service 'artisan' suppliers rather than the mass market 'pile it high, sell it cheap' pound store operations.

Clearly not accessible to everbody with their holiday snaps, but for the many, entirely competent, photographers there may be an opportunity, especially if they want more than a modest hobby, or passive archive income.

Martin, this is very interesting, and something to think about.  Many thanks for mentioning.

5 minutes ago, Keith Douglas said:

All figures from Companies House. They give figures in £. The figures I quoted are in $ (because the other data I was comparing it to was my own gross sales in $). £1 = $1.30. So £15.2m in 2012 = $19.5m

But the trend is clear. $ per image falling by 15% a year. So, all other things being equal, you'd have to increase your portfolio by 15% per year just to stand still. Which is roughly what my own sales figures show. 

Oops, thanks for spotting the reason for the difference. My mistake.

I'll correct my earlier post to avoid creating confusion.

Mark

1 hour ago, Keith Douglas said:

Alamy will pursue infringers of exclusive content in preference to non-exclusive content because it is easier to do so

I think it's simply a veiled (and possibly idle) threat. Alamy are telling contributors that if we mark images as exclusive, when they're not, the all-seeing **Infringements Team** will find us out.

30 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

It's easy to accidentally erase those check marks when processing large batches of images.

Maybe.   I just finished checking "editorial only" where appropriate, but didn't take screenshots today.   If they go missing again, I will take screenshots.

1 hour ago, hotbrightsky said:

But the ship's crew are using your drowning body as their life raft.

Over the last 35 years I have been with 7 or 8 agencies ("ships"), all of them do not exist anymore....well all went down but the one I have been with the longest, Alamy.   Alamy is sinking and I will survive.  While I have enjoyed the extra income, I have come to not rely on it.  There was a time when I dreamed that I could retire on my stock photo income but it became quite clear, years ago, that wasn't happening.  What is happening at Alamy has been pretty predictable for a while but the optimist in me was hoping it wouldn't happen for a while more.  Micros have killed the traditional stock industry....too much crowd sourcing and too many people willing to give away their photos....you just can't compete with free or near free.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 6

Here are some ideas to ponder

Cost of a Toronto media lawyer (not a family lawyer) with extensive knowledge of the Media business, and international legal contacts. $750 per hour. Cost of rendering a written opinion with strategy, $10,000. Cost of multiple meeting with all parties, $30,000 plus expenses, AND UP.

One of my child models, who still refers to me as Uncle, is now a media lawyer in mid career. It is not worth bothering him with this contract for a pro bono hour, as I already know the answer.

Everyone is referring to this contract offer as applying to everyone. Maybe not.

Alamy can make any deal, at any price, with anyone they want. I think a large famous curated image collection like National Geographic could demand and get 70%, and also get top position in the sort order. Museums, national archives, The National Trust for example, have expertly curated image collections. However, in my opinion, they have been unsuccessful in reaping a financial benefit over the internet, and meeting their main mandate of being a museum without walls for the entire world. Alamy could solve both problems.

Alamy now has the business connections, expertise, and IT to bring these large collections onto the Alamy sales platform. However, if they do, I doubt that it will be under the new contract being presented to us.

Dealing with thousands of wild eyed suppliers is costly. Alamy is now a extension of the large corporate organizations that own Alamy. Large corporations prefer to deal with other large corporations.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Cost of a Toronto media lawyer (not a family lawyer) with extensive knowledge of the Media business, and international legal contacts. $750 per hour. Cost of rendering a written opinion with strategy, $10,000. Cost of multiple meeting with all parties, $30,000 plus expenses, AND UP.

Okay.  So basically, almost zero of the individual contributors, and none outside the legal jurisdiction that Alamy is in, are in a position to negotiate with Alamy.  

After what has been a very busy week on this board it would be easy to forget that Alamy has set the May POTM as  "Togetherness" Isn't that lovely!! 

Edited by Shergar
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

I'm enjoying the posts by forum members who have rarely posted--I see it wasn't due to a lack of articulateness. And I've enjoyed the forum in general, especially in its current form and membership. (Does anyone recall when the forum began? I don't.) 

This forum started in April 2013 I think. It took over from the very successful AlamyPro forum on Yahoo which was run independently from Alamy. That’s where the ‘images found’ thread originally started and the ‘BHZ’ game. Quite a lot of folk here were on that forum. There was another forum before that too but I can't remember the name! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keith Douglas said:

There was a mention of Clause 5.1 in the new contract on page 40 of this thread, but it didn't seem to get taken any further. There is certainly nothing in Alamy's reply about this.

Existing 5.1. You will indemnify, defend (at the request of Alamy) and hold Alamy and its sub-licensees and assigns harmless against any prejudice, damage, liability or costs (including reasonable lawyers' fees) which any of the indemnified parties incur arising from or in respect of any claim that there has been a breach of your representations, obligations and warranties in this contract. This paragraph will remain in force after the termination of this contract.

New 5.1. You will indemnify, defend (at the request of Alamy) and hold Alamy and its affiliates, Customers, Distributors, sub-licensees and assigns (the “Indemnified Parties”) harmless against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, losses, costs and expenses (including reasonable legal expenses) which any of the Indemnified Parties incur arising from or in in relation to: (i) any claim that the Content infringes any third party’s rights including but not limited to any third party trademark, copyright, moral rights or other intellectual property rights, or any right of privacy or publicity; (ii) any use, exploitation or distribution of the Content by the Indemnified Parties; (iii) any claim against Alamy as a result of Alamy or its representatives pursuing an actual or suspected infringement of any Content; and (iv) any breach of any your representations, obligations and warranties under this Contract or the System. This clause will remain in force after the termination of this Contract.  

The way I read it the Existing 5.1 comes into play if the contributor has failed to do something that they should have done. The New 5.1 extends this further to include a number of things that are completely out of the control of the contributor. 

I wonder if the changes have been prompted by this:

https://petapixel.com/2019/07/10/magazine-says-its-stolen-cover-photo-was-a-stock-photo-of-the-photo/

This is the clause that really worries me.

It may be that it has always been there, but I like many others have not looked at the contract in enough depth before.  

From what I understand of the given example of what can go wrong, it was fortunate the the magazine was what it was, had it been a more commercial magazine things could have got nasty.

Alamy accepted this image for sale, the magazine cropped it so that the image was out of context and yet under the above clause the contributor would be liable. 

This example is fairly clear cut and understandable but what is to stop anyone making a frivolous claim if for instance a property they own is featured on a magazine cover. The law maybe on the contributors side if the image was tagged correctly, but who wants to risk thousands defending a legal case.

I fall in the wonderful gold tier under the new conditions, which is no real change for me, but I was thinking of those that will be the new Silver contributors. If for instance your sales come in a few cents under $250, commission @ 20% = $50, convert to pounds @1.35 dollars to the pound works out at 71 pence per week. Silver? more like rusty old iron.  You would need to have your head examined to accept the new contract ( or be desperate beyond belief). 

The more this contract gets examined here the more I am leaning towards closing my account.

Edited by BobD

9 minutes ago, BobD said:

This is the clause that really worries me.

It may be that it has always been there, but I like many others have not looked at the contract in enough depth before.  

From what I understand of the given example of what can go wrong, it was fortunate the the magazine was what it was, had it been a more commercial magazine things could have got nasty.

Alamy accepted this image for sale, the magazine cropped it so that the image was out of context and yet under the above clause the contributor would be liable. 

This example is fairly clear cut and understandable but what is to stop anyone making a frivolous claim if for instance a property they own is featured on a magazine cover. The law maybe on the contributors side if the image was tagged correctly, but who wants to risk thousands defending a legal case.

I fall in the wonderful gold tier under the new conditions, which is no real change for me, but I was thinking of those that will be the new Silver contributors. If for instance your sales come in a few cents under $250, commission @ 20% = $50, convert to pounds @1.35 dollars to the pound works out at 71 pence per week. Silver? more like rusty old iron.  You would need to have your head examined to accept the new contract ( or be desperate beyond belief). 

The more this contract gets examined here the more I am leaning towards closing my account.

The clause has always been there but its scope has been expanded. As I see it, it now includes areas over which I have no control.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Keith Douglas said:

The clause has always been there but its scope has been expanded. As I see it, it now includes areas over which I have no control.

I have always had an issue with Alamy expecting photographers to make judgements as to what releases etc are required for any and all usages anywhere in the world;matters that are properly the responsibility of the image user/pub;lisher. Now they have upped the consequiences, they can take the easy way out and expect the photograp=her to pick up the bill, It seems to me Alamy have always tended to side with the customer, note how they just let copyright infringers licence the image at the discounted rate.

Edited by Martin P Wilson
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Okay.  So basically, almost zero of the individual contributors, and none outside the legal jurisdiction that Alamy is in, are in a position to negotiate with Alamy. 

Which is why unions exist. NUJ in the UK in particular.

5 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

This forum started in April 2013 I think. It took over from the very successful AlamyPro forum on Yahoo which was run independently from Alamy. That’s where the ‘images found’ thread originally started and the ‘BHZ’ game. Quite a lot of folk here were on that forum. There was another forum before that too but I can't remember the name! 

I think there was an official Alamy forum before 2013, but not in this 'home', I think it was on the main Alamy server, then they were split, so that the forum is now separate from the main Alamy site. The old one may be gone completely (?)

Edited by Cryptoprocta

• Alamy locked this topic
  • Alamy unlocked this topic