New Alamy Infringements Team

What about the images which have been licensed in the past from some other agency but now only available for sale on alamy..? Can we tag such images as exclusive and if yes then will it create any problem for alamy infringement search? 

10 minutes ago, Saurabh said:

What about the images which have been licensed in the past from some other agency but now only available for sale on alamy..? Can we tag such images as exclusive and if yes then will it create any problem for alamy infringement search? 

You can choose to have Alamy contact you first regarding the infringement before they proceed.  I have to do that as I use my own images on my website.  Don't want to be called for infringing on myself!

Jill

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

You can choose to have Alamy contact you first regarding the infringement before they proceed.  I have to do that as I use my own images on my website.  Don't want to be called for infringing on myself!

Jill

Are you selling them from your website Jill?

Allan

Just now, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

Yes Jill. I have already chosen that option. Actually some of (few) images were licensed as RM when I was in some other agency also (at that time alamy had no exclusivity option). I have left that agency long back but still not sure if any of my images are still being used by its buyers. I don't remember exactly  but some  RM images were licensed for long period. 

I don't want that alamy find those uses as infringement. My be the other option for infringement check should work. 

For clarity, this email went to any contributors who had at least one image marked as exclusive with us and who has not unsubscribed from receiving emails from us.

Many thanks

Alamy

• Love 1

All my images with Alamy are "Exclusive" to Alamy. They can chase infringements without contacting me. That is if they can find any, I never have had any success.

Allan

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Saurabh said:

Yes Jill. I have already chosen that option. Actually some of (few) images were licensed as RM when I was in some other agency also (at that time alamy had no exclusivity option). I have left that agency long back but still not sure if any of my images are still being used by its buyers. I don't remember exactly  but some  RM images were licensed for long period. 

I don't want that alamy find those uses as infringement. My be the other option for infringement check should work. 

That is the problem of not knowing who the purchaser was.  Any of those images you might have to tell Alamy not to chase as you don't know if it is an official license or not.  You would have to check back on the license details when it was originally bought.

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Are you selling them from your website Jill?

Allan

Not selling the images.  Using them on the site as headers, banners etc.

Jill

• Love 1

Just now, Jill Morgan said:

That is the problem of not knowing who the purchaser was.  Any of those images you might have to tell Alamy not to chase as you don't know if it is an official license or not.  You would have to check back on the license details when it was originally bought.

Not selling the images.  Using them on the site as headers, banners etc.

Jill

In that case you have no worries.

Allan

7 minutes ago, Alamy said:

For clarity, this email went to any contributors who had at least one image marked as exclusive with us and who has not unsubscribed from receiving emails from us.

Many thanks

Alamy

Sounds good! But I get emails from Alamy and I'm 100% exclusive, didn't get one this morning though.....

3 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Sounds good! But I get emails from Alamy and I'm 100% exclusive, didn't get one this morning though.....

I'm mostly exclusive (about 90%) and have signed up to receive emails - and I didn't get one either!

John.

20 minutes ago, Steve F said:

It was only sent in the last hour so may not have got to you yet.

Let us know if this hasn’t arrived by tomorrow so we can investigate.

Best

Alamy

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Good news.

The question I have is the degree to which Alamy has a conflict of interest. Is it looking after the best interests of its contributors or will it want to maintain relationships with clients or potential clients? 

Think about the contrast with a company like Pixsy which takes a very assertive stance towards infringers and does so because that is where it makes its money. 

I asked about an image recently - and by the way the Alamy Contributors team ( Ellie, Shelley, Shannon, hope I haven't missed anybody - thanks SO much!) have been absolutely fantastic in helping me over this , very patient, very efficient. Brilliant! - but Alamy had no record of this image ever having been sold. I tried Google Images and found that actually it had been used by a UK newspaper a few years ago and obviously had never been reported. That image is now being billed but I expect it will be at 'mates rates'. At least that has let me identify a third party who is infringing copyright because this is Alamy exclusive. But I have decided to either handle this myself or through Pixsy. I have several queries about possible infringements that were passed to Alamy a couple of months ago and nothing seems to be happening.

This new system really needs a logging system so that case progress can be monitored by the contributor rather than just disappearing off into the ether. The contributor needs to be able to check and see what has been done and what is happening next etc

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 3
  • Like 5

I'm still not sure which option I should choose. I now have very few images at other agencies, almost everything is exclusive here. However, I do offer images for licensing on my own website. However, that is strictly theoretical at this point. The tumbleweeds rolled in about three years ago. 🤔

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm still not sure which option I should choose. I now have very few images at other agencies, almost everything is exclusive here. However, I do offer images for licensing on my own website. However, that is strictly theoretical at this point. The tumbleweeds rolled in about three years ago. 🤔

I would like to be informed before Alamy takes any action just in case it is one that I am already aware of through my own efforts.

I've edited that....just in case.

Edited by geogphotos

Just now, geogphotos said:

I would like to be informed before Alamy takes any action just in case it is one that I am already aware of through my own efforts. I would not want the potential infringer to be offered an option to escape from my clutches!!

Good point., but I have a feeling that your claws are much sharper than mine. I'm pretty lackadaisical when it comes to hunting infringers.