Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

No comment. 😶

 

15 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Crap, are YOU 'H'?!!! #LineofDuty

Please, you should add this before your post:

 

Warning: this post contains spoilers from the Line of Duty series six finale. Do not read on if you haven’t watched🙃

Edited by Abiyoyo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Abiyoyo said:

 

Please, you should add this before your post:

 

Warning: this post contains spoilers from the Line of Duty series six finale. Do not read on if you haven’t watched🙃

Spoilers?  Last night's episode spoiled the last ten years of the programme.  It was rubbish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All 

 

Just to confirm to those saying they haven't received the email. It only went to people opted into receiving Alamy emails with exclusive images.

 

You can check and amend your email preferences under the 'Account settings' section of your contributor dashboard.

 

If you didn't receive this, you can still use the link from the email which has been posted in this thread to let us know your options. 

 

Thanks,

Alamy

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually dealing with infringers yourselves is not that difficult. Having had much success over the last 4 years now I can give first hand experience of this.

 

But I warn you that you are going to experience to a whole raft of people:

 

1) People that cry on the phone

2) People that say sorry and settle

3) People that say get lost - just take them to court

4) People that starting threatening you

 

I've had each, sadly.

 

Amount recouped over the last 4 years? Well into 5 figures in total. Well into.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jools Elliott said:

Actually dealing with infringers yourselves is not that difficult. Having had much success over the last 4 years now I can give first hand experience of this.

 

But I warn you that you are going to experience to a whole raft of people:

 

1) People that cry on the phone

2) People that say sorry and settle

3) People that say get lost - just take them to court

4) People that starting threatening you

 

I've had each, sadly.

 

Amount recouped over the last 4 years? Well into 5 figures in total. Well into.

 

Whether dealing with infringers yourself is difficult or not is very much debatable. Any one of the scenarios you describe is enough to send me into a cold sweat, and that's just thinking about it, let alone actually doing it! I do like the idea of getting a five figure return (though I doubt if enough of my images have been mis-used to even amount to a fraction of yours, Jools), but I think the anxiety engendered by the whole  thing would far outweigh any finanical return for me. Maybe I'm a wimp, but I am who I am and I know my limitations. If  Alamy's infringement team can find any unlicenced or mis-licenced uses on my behalf I will gratefully accept the fruits of their efforts. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this.
So, in order to get my cut of this payment, I have to do absolutely nothing other than be the photographer of the photograph?
So, I just sit there and the 10 percent of the money rolls in?
err, yep.

So, if I upload a photograph to Alamy and to nobody / no other stock site / else, Alamy will keep track of that photograph and protect my income?
That is what I call a "no shit sherlock" situation.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received my email for preferences. Good to see some improvement on this side of things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2021 at 05:37, Jools Elliott said:

Actually dealing with infringers yourselves is not that difficult. Having had much success over the last 4 years now I can give first hand experience of this.

 

But I warn you that you are going to experience to a whole raft of people:

 

1) People that cry on the phone

2) People that say sorry and settle

3) People that say get lost - just take them to court

4) People that starting threatening you

 

I've had each, sadly.

 

Amount recouped over the last 4 years? Well into 5 figures in total. Well into.

 

 

Can i ask what proportion of this was in a Jurisdiction where it was easy for you to threaten legal action (ie. Home country, or countries where a union allows easy process)? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John David said:

So, I just sit there and the 10 percent of the money rolls in?

10%??

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

THANKS ALAMY ☀️......really pleased to see this new direction in chasing and billing infringers! 

This is a win+win for both contributor and seller, there are a lot of loyal contributors big and small who will hopefully benefit from the extra royalty income received..

 

I think it's a positive step for most contributors and great news in these troubled times of 2021 ☀️

 

 

  

*** Update 28/05/21 ***    Ahh i spoke too soon.....Surprise surprise with a New Contract looming.....Equals Photographers commissions going down...photographers rights going down...photographers anxiety going up.....How about giving your loyal suppliers a fair go?

Edited by William Caram
spoke too soon
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alamy, for your information.

I am opted in to emails and have been getting them regularly for years.

I did not receive this particular email. I’m only letting you know in case you desire to fix what’s broken.

In any case, I followed the link above and took care of opting in. So all is fine.

Betty

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2021 at 18:30, meanderingemu said:

 

 

Can i ask what proportion of this was in a Jurisdiction where it was easy for you to threaten legal action (ie. Home country, or countries where a union allows easy process)? 

 

These are all UK; Canadian; USA; French cases thus far

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jools Elliott said:

 

These are all UK; Canadian; USA; French cases thus far

Cool thanks.  Can i ask how the legal proceedings work in USA for a foreigner?  Do you find local representation through the internet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2021 at 17:32, geogphotos said:

I have decided to either handle this myself or through Pixsy

 

Very sensible. I don't expect any positive results from Alamy on infringement any time soon. Too many broken promises.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2021 at 11:44, Joseph Clemson said:

I think the anxiety engendered by the whole  thing would far outweigh any finanical return for me

 

I have made many times more money by pursuing image infringements personally than I ever have through Alamy sales.

 

If it's not worth pursuing then it's probably not worth uploading to Alamy either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hotbrightsky said:

 

Very sensible. I don't expect any positive results from Alamy on infringement any time soon. Too many broken promises.

Perhaps the extra income they will get from a commission raise will pay for extra staff on the infringement team............

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

..........or maybe not!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hotbrightsky said:

 

I have made many times more money by pursuing image infringements personally than I ever have through Alamy sales.

 

If it's not worth pursuing then it's probably not worth uploading to Alamy either.

 

Each to their own way of working. I certainly don't think it's not worth uploading to Alamy if I don't want pursue infringements myself.  I'm happy with what I get compare to the effort of producing it. I do a fairly comprehensive online search for my images for DACS purposes each year and the number of misuss or unreported uses of my own images I have found over the years is miniscule. Perhaps neer-do-wells simply don't think my images are worth stealing 🙂.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Stokie said:

Perhaps the extra income they will get from a commission raise will pay for extra staff on the infringement team............

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

..........or maybe not!

 

 

well since they will only work on Exclusive images, and they have now told contributors there is no incentive to mark image as exclusive, they should have much more time on their hand.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2021 at 15:07, meanderingemu said:

Cool thanks.  Can i ask how the legal proceedings work in USA for a foreigner?  Do you find local representation through the internet?

 

Yes, you need representation in the USA. It's also in your best interests to register your work with the US Copyright Office. A bundle of 750 unpublished images costs something like $50

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jools Elliott said:

 

Yes, you need representation in the USA. It's also in your best interests to register your work with the US Copyright Office. A bundle of 750 unpublished images costs something like $50

 

thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.