Easing of lockdown restrictions?

With the potential easing of lockdown restrictions in the UK on the horizon, and with the 17th May listed as the earliest possible date for a foreign holiday, what will be the first thing you want to go out and take a picture of? For me, I plan on spending the day walking around central London. There is always something unexpected to snap!

• Love 2

Given the emergence of a third wave in northern Europe and Italy, I would still be ultra cautious. As you suggest, the streets of central London present many subjects but I think I would still take a packed lunch and hunker down on a bench or set of steps. We are not anywhere near out of this!

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Since most of my photography is not in the UK, nowt in particular. My work trip to Liverpool last month is looking all the more special.

Depressing I know but so as to avoid disappointment I am pricing in not being able to travel abroad this year either. I don't doubt an anti-European point will be attempted by locking us out of France for a while. For us, no France means no Europe.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Never was a lockdown inside Nicaragua, but most people are being cautious.  Travel to and from requires negative Covid tests and Cubans showed up for their annual Christmas shopping.  Not sure which airlines are flying in or out.  We still can't get mail out to the US (I sent my vote with DHL) but can get mail in.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Jansos said:

With the potential easing of lockdown restrictions in the UK on the horizon, and with the 17th May listed as the earliest possible date for a foreign holiday, what will be the first thing you want to go out and take a picture of? For me, I plan on spending the day walking around central London. There is always something unexpected to snap!

That's exactly what I intend to do. The government roadmap says shops can re-open on 12th April if all goes well. I am taking that as the green light to start travelling into London again, albeit with social distancing and face covering still necessary. Maybe our paths will cross.

Foreign holiday this year a definite no go!!

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

I am taking that as the green light

AFAICS you can do that from Monday. The stay at home law ends. As long as you're not on holiday and don't stay overnight.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, spacecadet said:

AFAICS you can do that from Monday. The stay at home law ends. As long as you're not on holiday and don't stay overnight.

Thanks for the heads-up on that Mark, freedom beckons sooner than I thought and the weather seems set fair for the first part of the week too.

• Love 1

Just because it is legal doesn’t mean it is sensible. If everyone takes that attitude, then it will be back to lockdown in no time. 

Meeting people outdoors should be fine from Monday but travelling on public transport unnecessarily would seem to me to be very foolish at this point. You can’t socially distance on trains unless they are almost empty. When is that ever the case in central London? 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 3
  • Like 9
  • Dislike 4

I'm staying well clear of any place which is even remotely busy for the foreseeable future. Round my part of North West England the rate of infection is over double what is being reported for central London and new cases have doubled here each week since the schools returned. We are a long way from being out of the woods on this on our own terms, let alone the risk posed by the Covid wave on the continent arriving here as well. I've been vaccinated once but I'm not invulnerable. I fear for what might happen as the UK lockdown is eased further. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, MDM said:

Just because it is legal doesn’t mean it is sensible. If everyone takes that attitude, then it will be back to lockdown in no time. 

Meeting people outdoors should be fine from Monday but travelling on public transport unnecessarily would seem to me to be very foolish at this point. You can’t socially distance on trains unless they are almost empty. When is that ever the case in central London? 

Incredible. Two red arrows for common sense. I would love to see the reasoning if one could call it that. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3

My sister has booked a table for us for lunch outside at a local pub/restaurant on 15th April - hoping it doesn't rain😁  Can't see foreign travel happening this year unfortunately and if it does happen there will be a lot of hoops to jump through and probably not worth the hassle.  Also I think the date of 17th May for foreign travel will be extended until at least the end of June but who knows....

Carol

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I gave you a greenie to counteract one of the reds.

Cheers Col. It’s not the red arrows but the lack of any explanation as to why they disagree that bugs me. 

• Love 3

1 hour ago, MDM said:

When is that ever the case in central London? 

Most of the time IME. Only around peak times are you less than two or three seats apart.

When I travelled to Liverpool last month, peak-time,  I had the Inter-City carriage practically to myself. Occupancy was a few percent.

Anyway off now curry and beer and Rioja, 30th anniversary and can't go to our usual gaff so getting it delivered.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, MDM said:

You can’t socially distance on trains unless they are almost empty

I've not been on public transport for over a year, but the reports I get from Londoners that I know are that both the train and the tube are virtually empty.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Most of the time IME. Only around peak times are you less than two or three seats apart.

When I travelled to Liverpool last month, peak-time,  I had the Inter-City carriage practically to myself. Occupancy was a few percent.

Anyway off now curry and beer and Rioja, 30th anniversary and can't go to our usual gaff so getting it delivered.

15 minutes ago, Russell said:

I've not been on public transport for over a year, but the reports I get from Londoners that I know are that both the train and the tube are virtually empty.

That was or is of course during lockdown.  It won’t be the case if everyone decides to go into central London or wherever by public transport from March 29th. Which means further restrictions down the line. Death rates are still close to 100 a day and confirmed cases 5000 a day in the UK. The pandemic continues lockdown or not, like it or not. 

Happy anniversary Mr and Mrs spacecadet 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

That was or is of course during lockdown.  It won’t be the case if everyone decides to go into central London or wherever by public transport from March 29th. Which means further restrictions down the line. Death rates are still close to 100 a day and confirmed cases 5000 a day in the UK. The pandemic continues lockdown or not, like it or not. 

Happy anniversary Mr and Mrs spacecadet 

But why do you need to be concerned with what other people decide to do?

It doesn't seem rational to me to expect that 'everyone' will suddenly change their behaviour. And you can continue as long as you want with your way of living under Covid. Lockdown or not. 

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, geogphotos said:

But why do you need to be concerned with what other people decide to do?

It doesn't seem rational to me to expect that 'everyone' will suddenly change their behaviour. And you can continue as long as you want with your way of living under Covid. Lockdown or not. 

Do I really need to answer that?

OK. Just this once. Because it is a highly infectious disease and managing it depends on the cooperation of society as a whole. I  am not thinking of myself alone here but of society as a whole. What one person does affects other people. Covid is an extremely serious disease. Less than 50% of the population of the UK has been vaccinated to date and that is just jab 1 so immunity levels are still very low. Even then, there are new variants arising all the time. This is not over. Let it go now and it will be the same thing all over again, as is happening now in Europe. 

• Like 5

In my county in Kansas, the mask mandate has just been canceled. Businesses can still require them, many won’t. People who feel unsafe can still mask up. A choice. Our positive rate is about 1%. I’ve been to dinner in a restaurant a couple of times, taking off the mask to eat at socially distanced tables.

Our lockdowns have not been nearly as severe as yours, yet the virus has dramatically dropped. I’m speaking for Kansas, not other states.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2
  • Dislike 1