March 2021 favourite uploads

First uploads of the year😮 Except for my pizza. Not on sale yet.

"Grab and go" breakfast at a hotel in Liverpool

2ET6BYH.jpg

Passengers alighting from a peak-time train from London Euston. Lime Street station, Liverpool

This train has a capacity of 470. These are all the passengers.

2ET6C0N.jpg

This is the carriage I was in. I had company (two) as far as Runcorn, then, just me. Capacity 60-odd.

2ET6BYK.jpg

Strange times.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

A fairly mundane scene really. I initially took a picture of the BP petrol station in a previous shot thinking that it might be worthy of illustrating stories about oil prices, BP financial results or a switch from petrol to electric cars in the future... but then I took this wider shot almost as an afterthought and for some reason, I really quite like it.

the-bp-petrol-station-on-london-road-in-reading-uk-with-a-small-londis-convenience-shop-incorporated-2ETTED8.jpg

And this is another fairly mundane scene that I rather like but am not really sure why.. I guess it has leading lines with the ridges in the ceiling, ducting, edges of the road and boardings all drawing the eye to the middle of the picture.. not sure if that is subconsciously part of why I like it... 

a-car-enters-the-riverside-multi-storey-car-park-part-of-the-oracle-shopping-centre-in-reading-uk-2ETTETE.jpg

22 hours ago, spacecadet said:

First uploads of the year😮 Except for my pizza. Not on sale yet.

"Grab and go" breakfast at a hotel in Liverpool

2ET6BYH.jpg

Passengers alighting from a peak-time train from London Euston. Lime Street station, Liverpool

This train has a capacity of 470. These are all the passengers.

2ET6C0N.jpg

This is the carriage I was in. I had company (two) as far as Runcorn, then, just me. Capacity 60-odd.

2ET6BYK.jpg

Strange times.

It will be interesting to see as lockdown restrictions in the UK lift, how full this train would be at the beginning of August ... or will people have abandoned the idea of commuting even though they will be allowed to once more, preferring to work from home and video conference instead?

10 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

It will be interesting to see as lockdown restrictions in the UK lift, how full this train would be at the beginning of August ... or will people have abandoned the idea of commuting even though they will be allowed to once more, preferring to work from home and video conference instead?

My film work is immune from Zoom, but not from the restrictions- most of the crew I talked to were pleased, or was it relieved, to be getting their first work for a year. 100 of us in total were working in close proximity- "social distancing" is a joke on set, quite impossible, but in practice there don't need to be more than a dozen or so together- all tested, wearing FFP2 masks (first time I had worn one for more than half an hour-you get used to it) and working under a 23-page protocol, no public transport and no more than 2 to a minibus, or one cast member- and no, I didn't catch it.

Edited by spacecadet

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

My film work is immune from Zoom, but not from the restrictions- most of the crew I talked to were pleased, or was it relieved, to be getting their first work for a year. 100 of us in total were working in close proximity- "social distancing" is a joke on set, quite impossible, but in practice there don't need to be more than a dozen or so together- all tested, wearing FFP2 masks (first time I had worn one for more than half an hour-you get used to it) and working under a 23-page protocol, no public transport and no more than 2 to a minibus, or one cast member- and no, I didn't catch it.

Does a train not count as 'public transport'?

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Does a train not count as 'public transport'?

To and from location. Most cast and crew were local or in hotels. But if a film needs a Steenbeck on set in the UK nowadays, it needs me, and you can see how many people were on that train.

Besides, I'd had a test the day before. For cast and crew it's bi-weekly.

Edited by spacecadet

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

To and from location. Most cast and crew were local or in hotels. But if a film needs a Steenbeck on set in the UK nowadays, it needs me, and you can see how many people were on that train.

What's a Steenbeck Grandad? LOL

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Mark, that hotel doesn't do my go-to breakfast? Depressing. 

2EW8FHF.jpg

Well, the sausage, bacon and the egg were there, but using the bap as a vehicle, if you like. The quality was fine, they're doing their best. I suppose you could even go down again for seconds, but these days you have to take it back to your room in splendid isolation. But it got me through to boxed beef curry on set at about 1430. With salad and ginger sponge. Also boxed.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Here's to the next outing!

• Thanks 1

I learnt something surprising today. Kangaroos do regurgitate their food, chew it again and swallow it again like cows!! Like this female Eastern Grey Kangaroo.

This process is known as 'merycism' or rumination syndrome. It's like a second extraction of protein from their herbivore diet.

The amazing thing too is that lots of Australians also learnt it from the experts replying to me. They were very surprised.

2EWX6A8.jpg

• Love 2

On 03/03/2021 at 20:20, Mr Standfast said:

Here's to the next outing!

Well I have one next week but they're coming here, so rather less of an outing.

They want to shoot at an archive which is closed for the duration, so leafy Woodford will have to do.

My invite letter- but it was dated the 24th. last and I've already booked on a tipoff from a friend.;)

5-star general but these got pulled in for QC this time.

2EX5GWC.jpg2EX5GBR.jpg

Edit: no worries, passed just now.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Well I have one next week but they're coming here, so rather less of an outing.

They want to shoot at an archive which is closed for the duration, so leafy Woodford will have to do.

My invite letter- but it was dated the 24th. last and I've already booked on a tipoff from a friend.;)

5-star general but these got pulled in for QC this time.

2EX5GWC.jpg2EX5GBR.jpg

Our sequence was invitation text, got the jab, and then got the invite letter 3 days later. A familiar bit of efficiency with a side order of muddle. 😀

30 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Our sequence was invitation text, got the jab, and then got the invite letter 3 days later. A familiar bit of efficiency with a side order of muddle. 😀

I did get a phone call a month ago but they thought I was a carer in whatever priority group and I didn't know if the call was kosher, because they'd only had my mobile number for a few days so I rang off. It checked out with the surgery so I felt such a fewl🤪 Note to self, trust NHS.

Anyway what's a few weeks in the scheme etc. I booked last Wednesday. In on Saturday.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

On 01/03/2021 at 10:56, Alan Beastall said:

Q in Sherwood Forest at f1.7

2ERAT01.jpg

2ERAWBN.jpg

Nice shots as ever, though I can't quite get my head around the idea of a mono only digital camera, particularly given the price assuming I'm looking at the correct model. Could have a Canon R5 for that!

Edited by Cal

Cal, thanks for the comment. The camera is a Leica Q which i picked up in mint condition for about £2000 as opposed to £4500 for a Q2 or even more for the Q2 monochrome. The Q has a colour sensor therefore the images are converted to B&W in lightroom. Yes you are right they can be expensive but it such a great camera to use and the image quality are mind blowing. The day to day cameras when doing live music, political events, live news, nature etc being Nikon D5's but due to the restrictions of covid 19 these have been very limited. If you are shooting B&W images and if this is your market then a B&W sensor would give you a far superior image quality and a higher dynamic range.

Weather miserable and can't travel under lockdown, so I have spent some time reworking old images. The replica Stephenson's Rocket at Beamish museum.

replica-of-stephensons-rocket-steam-locomotive-pulling-train-at-beamish-museum-north-east-england-uk-2EWTA46.jpg

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

I've never seen a kookaburra but remember singing about them in Camp Fire Girls in California. A nice happy rousing song. That's a lovely photo.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat