March 2021 favourite uploads

One new and one pulled out of the files and cropped a bit:

2F3ECRF.jpg

I noticed a search for a cat profile.  One of mine was in the viewed but not zoomed showing, but it was a three quarter view, not a true profile.  I didn't have any true in earlier shots.  Cats don't appear to like them.  So, I got this one of Maude, my cat that has a coat close to the original wild Libyan cat subspecies that was domesticated.   And I cropped two of my cats fighting that had been viewed but never zoomed, trying to get something more dynamic. 

2F3ECRT.jpg

This one was one of those "Gee, why didn't I add that one" sort of photos.  I cropped it a bit since one side had a headlight right at the picture frame and the other side had a stray branch.  Wanted the one headlight to show the time of day.  Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive at dusk. 

On 17/03/2021 at 06:32, gvallee said:

I reworked that image. Camping under the stars in the Australian Outback.

Great shot, so atmospheric.  Did you use a flash on the tree?  My wife loves to star gaze, and when we park our caravan in out of the way places, without light pollution, she will always find time after dark to peer at the sky.   I confess to being ignorant of the heavens, I can just about pick out the plough, but that's it.

On 19/03/2021 at 05:40, Bryan said:

Great shot, so atmospheric.  Did you use a flash on the tree?  My wife loves to star gaze, and when we park our caravan in out of the way places, without light pollution, she will always find time after dark to peer at the sky.   I confess to being ignorant of the heavens, I can just about pick out the plough, but that's it.

Thank you. I did light painting with my torch on the tree. Then signalled OH to turn the blue lights off in the bus and continued exposing for the sky for another 20 sec or so.

Edited by gvallee

last-light-on-the-ice-pack-on-teh-st-law

Last light on the pack ice on the St Lawrence here in Quebec City. Its a shame that there were no clouds to fill in the sky, but its still a lovely scene. Especially as here the spring has arrived 3 weeks early and it was about 14C when we were there shooting.

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I love the contrast between the yellow and blue!

looking-up-at-yellow-forsythia-flowers-against-a-blue-sky-2F4KC2J.jpg

Nice colours !

Blue and yellow sit opposite each other on the colour wheel, so they are a good combination when used together (Ikea use blue & yellow in their colour scheme)

Other colours that work well together being green and magenta, or red and cyan.

bedtime reading !

You may know this already tho.

2 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

You may know this already tho.

I did indeed! My initial aim was to use my extension tubes to take some close up shots of the flowers but when I finally noticed the yellow against the blue sky, it was a no-brainer to remove the extension tube and take some of the yellow forsythia against the blue sky.

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Taken last night - this was one of two helicopters tasked with airlifting 7 fishermen off a trawler which had no power and was taking on water.

2f5r1yg.jpg

It may not have been a choice you had, but anyway well done for not stopping the motion of the blades.

Whenever I see that I'm tempted to look for the string.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It may not have been a choice you had, but anyway well done for not stopping the motion of the blades.

Whenever I see that I'm tempted to look for the string.

Thanks - the blade movement was what I aimed for, as well as the winchman looking out the door. 

2 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

Maybe shutter speed a tad slower Andy?

Tenterden, Kent, UK. 15th May, 2019. A Kent Surrey Sussex air ambulance has been dispatched to an incident in the town centre. Medical staff are at scene. The emergency has taken place at the Old Dairy Brewery just off the high street in the town centre. The MD902 Explorer helicopter takes off into the air. Credit: Paul Lawrenson 2019, Photo Credit: Paul Lawrenson/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

You’re right, Paul. However, I did t want to go too slow in case I made a mess of the shot - the story was important. 

22 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I can and I have, many a time 😂

7 hours ago, PAL Media said:

You can't mess up with a D5 :D

I don't call them mistakes, I refer to them as learning opportunities.

• Love 1

On 21/03/2021 at 02:25, Sally R said:

Ha ha! 🤣  I should have attached a speech bubble with "We shall fight on the beaches..."

I once knew a cat who went by two names, either Winston or Churchill. He lived on my brother's street and was much more like a dog. He was a big fluffy thing who would go up to complete strangers and roll onto his back for a tummy rub. He was later run over by a car and lost a leg but it didn't dampen his spirits at all, and he still galumphed up to people on his three legs for tummy rubs.

Every cat I ever had or petted would only tolerate a stroke or two on the belly before teeth and claws came out. I learned that lesson when I was 8, but still tried a few more times. After all, they offered the tummy!!!  Suckered me in!
Winston surely was an extraordinary cat.

• Love 1