Holiday Pics

Ed Rooney

Since I know no one here in Liverpool except one married couple, I'm considering sending myself a Valentine's Day card. But that might be a little heavy with narcissism. And I'm really not that fond of myself. 

Anyway . . . do you all snap a lot of pictures on holidays? I did at first, then I stopped because they didn't sell. Then they started to sell. Hmm. Do your holiday pics sell? 

Edo

Hi Edo,

Just counted them up. 38 holiday pics out of 204 total sales. I used to take a lot more holiday photos, but I'm much more selective these days as they don't sell particularly well (although I tend to be much more selective generally these days as I have a better feel for what sells). I try to concentrate more on the types of picture I think have a better chance of selling. It is definitely true that you never know what might sell, it's just that the time and effort in editing hundreds of holiday pictures doesn't seem worth it for the amount that sell.

One more thing I would add, pictures of certain countries and cities seem to sell a lot more than others - no one seems to be buying pictures of Prague much for example (or maybe mine just suck!)

Steve

Most of my sales come from pictures taken while on my travels - the majority from trips to Ireland over the years. I tend to be much more inspired to get out and about when away from home and more likely to push myself as well. I am more inclined to take a mañana approach when at home.

Roughly a third of our sold images were shot on ‘working’ holidays. 

We used to justify our travel costs going through the business by submitting images on Alamy. 

Haven’t added any since we were in Seville nearly two years ago! 

🤔

Edited by Thyrsis

By “holidays” you mean personal trips, then yes absolutely, most of my photos were taken on travels and they sell the most.  But if your are referring to the event of a holiday, such as Christmas, Valentines Day (not really a holiday) then no, not much luck with those sorts of photos.

Ahh, I got caught between British and American English. I was not asking about what we Yanks call "vacation trips" and the British call a holiday—I was referring to Valentines Day and Halloween and Christmas and such. I will do a count and answer my own question. Here, if you get a day off, it's called a bank holiday. I need a nap

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ahh, I got caught between British and American English. I was not asking about what we Yanks call "vacation trips" and the British call a holiday—I was referring to Valentines Day and Halloween and Christmas and such. I will do a count and answer my own question. Here, if you get a day off, it's called a bank holiday. I need a nap

I had a feeling that might be what was happening....🤪

But then I had a friend who wore the same pair of pants all week on a teenage 'mates' holiday once.

And he wasn't American.😶🤮

Edited by geogphotos

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Since I know no one here in Liverpool except one married couple, I'm considering sending myself a Valentine's Day card. But that might be a little heavy with narcissism. And I'm really not that fond of myself. 

Anyway . . . do you all snap a lot of pictures on holidays? I did at first, then I stopped because they didn't sell. Then they started to sell. Hmm. Do your holiday pics sell? 

Edo

Yes...this is what gets me out taking photos in the first place. And plus I find it easier as a lone female traveler to hide behind my camera at times. As far as sales, vacation photos outsell my local photos 2 to 1. There isn't much to see where Iive.

Edited by MandyD

My holiday images sell.

Allan

PS I do not have any "holiday images" of the kind Edo means.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

It's Friday afternoon and I'm confused Ed! 🙃 I don't take a lot of pictures of bank holiday events like Christmas and things because I'm generally with family and I wouldn't want to take pictures so much!

58 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

OIC- that's why the second part of your post seemed to be a non-sequitur. Heck of a place to learn English, Ed.

Just one, taken on Remembrance Day (Jour du Souvenir) in Toulouse. It's a jour férié in most of France. zzz

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

Putting aside the wrong and pointless question I was trying to ask, this has been enlightening.

I scanned more than half of my collection and found nothing that had to do with -- what shall I call them? -- days of celebration. Zip, nothing, no sales, not one. So, Steve and you all, enjoy some time with your family and mates. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Putting aside the wrong and pointless question I was trying to ask aside, this has been enlightening.

I scanned more than half of my collection and found nothing that had to do with -- what shall I call them? -- days of celebration. Zip, nothing, no sales, not one. So, Steve and you all, enjoy some time with your family and mates. 

Celebrations more widely, yes, quite a few- weinfeste in Germany mostly. I flipping miss those🙁 They may not justify the effort, but hey watcha gonna do. Except have another glass of Riesling.

Edited by spacecadet

I can't remember.
I don't know when I last had a "holiday". I used to go travelling a lot, but I was on my own and seeing the journeys very much as business trips. 
I still get sales from my Interrailing days - two yesterday in fact, a statue in Vienna and a cubist lamppost in Prague.
But as I said, they really weren't holidays, enjoyable as the trips were (and I claimed them as an allowable expense).

and now I've read the other posts and realise what is was all about.

No. I've had a couple of sales from the New Year's Day celebrations in London but little else. 

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

I can't remember.
I don't know when I last had a "holiday". I used to go travelling a lot, but I was on my own and seeing the journeys very much as business trips. 
I still get sales from my Interrailing days - two yesterday in fact, a statue in Vienna and a cubist lamppost in Prague.
But as I said, they really weren't holidays, enjoyable as the trips were (and I claimed them as an allowable expense).

and now I've read the other posts and realise what is was all about.

No. I've had a couple of sales from the New Year's Day celebrations in London but little else. 

Must be six or seven years since I had a holiday.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Putting aside the wrong and pointless question I was trying to ask, this has been enlightening.

Days of celebration? Yes...I like to attend different cultural events and celebrations (when they were happening). I have photographed a few....hope to do more after I move and post COVID.

I've taken a bit of a vacation from taking holiday pics mainly because they don't do well. Halloween is the exception. I've had a number of good Halloween sales. Christmas is probably the worst. Too much competition from camera-toting elves I guess.

Edited by John Mitchell