Capitol siege photos

BradleyPhoto

3 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Quite right, sorry Wim. It is indeed on Netflix and for Netflix users its a must watch for anyone with an interest in the way of the  world and for anyone with kids. It explains how the big players gather data and use it to show people things that they will be more interested in, to keep them stuck to their feeds and hence exposed to advertising. Its more than just a conspiracy theory show, it features interviews with some really big names from inside the industry.

My post was very short, I was going to add more but a sudden dispute between the kids prevented me from adding more.

I think it exaggerated the "intelligence" of the algorithms.   A lot of the algorithms were created by people with stereotypes about what certain genders and age brackets would be interested in.  I have ad-blocking on and also my browser has a FB sandbox.   What they imagine I'd be interested in are not things I'm interested in.    I suspended my Facebook account, but am still on Twitter and a private Usenet hierarchy.

• Love 1

I have Netflix so will put The Social Dilemma on my list. I also want to watch the Trial of the Chicago 7 - seems pretty relevant right now as well. Currently in the middle of Series 5 of Better Call Saul.

Edited by MDM

18 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I think it exaggerated the "intelligence" of the algorithms.   A lot of the algorithms were created by people with stereotypes about what certain genders and age brackets would be interested in.  I have ad-blocking on and also my browser has a FB sandbox.   What they imagine I'd be interested in are not things I'm interested in.    I suspended my Facebook account, but am still on Twitter and a private Usenet hierarchy.

FB sandbox? What's that?

4 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Container is Firefox's name for it.  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/facebook-container/

That and Ad-blocker Ultimate seem to handle most problems. 

Thanks. I don't use FB much but shall have a look at this. My twitter account is also covered in cobwebs.

6 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

s this what was meant by "make America great again"? 

From their point of view, yes. They feel that to rescue a country from what ails it takes a strongman who is prepared to do whatever it takes, to trample down any and all enemies and the rule of law. Its dictatorship backed up by a lawless group looking for their strongman - a quick browse along the history books section an any bookshop will show exactly how new it is.

• Love 3

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Is this what was meant by "make America great again"? 

10 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

From their point of view, yes. They feel that to rescue a country from what ails it takes a strongman who is prepared to do whatever it takes, to trample down any and all enemies and the rule of law. Its dictatorship backed up by a lawless group looking for their strongman - a quick browse along the history books section an any bookshop will show exactly how new it is.

Yes and there is also typically a drive to turn one part of the population against the other often by lies and propaganda which holds one side as somehow elitist and the other deprived by the elite which at its most extreme can lead to civil war. This type of populism, nationalism, racism, xxxism is not an exclusively American phenomenon of course and we don’t have to look too far in space as well as time to see it rearing its ugly head elsewhere. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

This type of populism, nationalism, racism, xxxism is not an exclusively American phenomenon of course and we don’t have to look too far in space as well as time to see it rearing its ugly head elsewhere. 

A quick skim through the history books shows us that it is, unfortunately, a very human phenomenon. As has been said, those that cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

• Love 2

21 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Twitter has reportedly banned Trump for the next 12 hours. What took them so long, one wonders.

It's called the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution - including freedom of speech and expression.

Social Media platforms Twitter especially are drawing needed scrutiny for their violations. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 7

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's called the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution - including freedom of speech and expression.

Social Media platforms Twitter especially are drawing needed scrutiny for their violations. 

The 1st Amendment protects against censorship by the government, not by private entities.

A newspaper is not forced to accept articles from anyone who wants to be published.    Twitter is a private business.  

Also, note "peaceably" in the right to assemble.

• Love 3
  • Like 2

Phil, you need to understand that some kinds of speech are not covered by the First Amendment. One that is not covered is speech that incites imminent lawless action. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

And Paul, you need to understand that some kinds of speech are not covered by the First Amendment. One that is not covered is speech that incites imminent lawless action. 

A saying comes to mind: "You're free to say whatever you want. But you're not free from the consequence of your words."

• Love 2

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Phil, if inciting unwarranted violence and illegal behaviour is considered freedom of speech and expression, then the US is in deep trouble IMO. Somehow I don't think that those who devised the US Constitution -- and the 1st Amendment -- had this in mind.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MizBrown said:

The 1st Amendment protects against censorship by the government, not by private entities.

A newspaper is not forced to accept articles from anyone who wants to be published.    Twitter is a private business.  

Also, note "peaceably" in the right to assemble.

+1 Miz,

Sometimes you do sound like one of my journalism professors.....

Chuck

• Thanks 1