Capitol siege photos

BradleyPhoto

Incredible. Literally incredible.  I stopped watching political TV news after the UK 2019 election but have been glued to Sky News for the last few hours. The most amazing thing I have seen since the prorogation of parliament here. Fascinating to see the statements about maintaining democracy by the very people who attempted to override democracy here not so long ago. You can bet they are relieved that the schools u-turn and today's record breaking Covid figures in the UK have been swept off the front pages 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Fortunately my shoot today did not have me in DC.  I got home about when all hell broke loose at the U.S. Capitol bldg.  A very sad dad in U. S. History. 

glad you are safe.

sad for your country.  hope mine is watching and realise no one is immune to this

• Love 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

glad you are safe.

sad for your country.  hope mine is watching and realise no one is immune to this

It is frightening how fragile democracy really is once the players (the politicians and the media) stop playing by the rules and the spreading of lies becomes not just commonplace but accepted by enough of the players. Unregulated social media is a major contributor. What I am finding quite sickening is how quickly those who should have been standing up for truth for the past four years are now suddenly taking the righteous approach and condemning this horror attack on democracy and freedom. I will name no names but it is pretty obvious who they are. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I certainly don’t want for this thread to become too political.  What we all saw today is sad no matter where you stand.  So I am not looking for a debate.  Yes, the photos, in the above link, are amazing and historic in capturing what happened today.

• Love 2

44 minutes ago, MDM said:

Unregulated social media is a major contributor.

The Social Dilemma is a really good and frightening documentary on just this topic. Given the amount of polarisation and frenzied hatred in the last 4 or 5 years, its a must watch.

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

The Social Dilemma is a really good and frightening documentary on just this topic. Given the amount of polarisation and frenzied hatred in the last 4 or 5 years, its a must watch.

I will check that out Colin thanks.

34 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I certainly don’t want for this thread to become too political.  What we all saw today is sad no matter where you stand.  So I am not looking for a debate.  Yes, the photos, in the above link, are amazing and historic in capturing what happened today.

Unfortunately it is impossible to watch this unfold and not feel anything or comment on the reasons and implications. This has truly global implications in relation to democracy. This is not at all surprising given what has been happening these last several years and it is not going to go away as the disease of lies and alternative facts has taken deep roots across western society.

Not all is dark, however, as the senate election wins in Georgia are of major significance and have gone completely under the radar this evening in the news here. This gives hope that some effective changes for the best can take place over the next few years. I am thinking of climate change in particular, something that is of enormous urgency on a global scale. And you will notice I have mentioned no names.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

I agree that picture is scary in itself, The reason I find the one I linked to above scary is the idea of someone in the Capitol with a confederate flag, with its direct connotations of civil war (and racism of course). The divisions that we are seeing in Washington are far more global than we might think and to different degrees in different countries. That is what I find most scary. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, MDM said:

The divisions that we are seeing in Washington are far more global than we might think and to different degrees in different countries. That is what I find most scary. 

Watch The Social Dilemma - it is a global phenomenon.

Quite right, sorry Wim. It is indeed on Netflix and for Netflix users its a must watch for anyone with an interest in the way of the  world and for anyone with kids. It explains how the big players gather data and use it to show people things that they will be more interested in, to keep them stuck to their feeds and hence exposed to advertising. Its more than just a conspiracy theory show, it features interviews with some really big names from inside the industry.

My post was very short, I was going to add more but a sudden dispute between the kids prevented me from adding more.

Edited by Colin Woods