Capitol siege photos

BradleyPhoto

3 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Was trying to comment on the photos from the U.S. capitol that I've seen. 

It is funny, but in my opinion the best images were done by "old hands"

who have covered the capitol for decades.

Chuck 

Yes so far. The only thing, except for live broadcasts, I have seen is our main stream media newspapers.

The thing that struck me was that almost everybody was filming and live streaming all the time. Even when smashing the big video cameras, lots of people stood around filming it.  Lots of phones and action cams, also lots of gimbals.

That footage and those images are probably shown in a bubble I have had no access to yet. There must be thousands of images and thousands of hours of footage. Somewhere.

Let's hope the Smithsonian finds them and puts them all in their archive. Maybe not in the Folkways - I've heard no singing.

- No I wasn't expecting the Battle hymn of the Republic either.  😂

wim

• Love 1

One of the “old hand” photographers, got some of the already iconic images, was Win McNamee.  I got to know him over 30 years ago when he married a friend of mine.  He has covered Washington politics for decades for Getty.  A real pro!

16 hours ago, Phil said:

It's called the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution - including freedom of speech and expression.

Social Media platforms Twitter especially are drawing needed scrutiny for their violations. 

A sitting US president incites insurrection and starts a deadly riot, and you moan about his imagined right to incite further being restrained for 12 hours? Have you no shame?

Everyone else, sorry if this gets the thread binned but really, I had to say it.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just like Alamy can shut this thread down whenever they justified to do so.  So we have to stay within boundaries.  All the main social media sites/apps have rules you have to abide by or you can get shut down.

Often, when people begin getting heated, a cooling off day or couple of days tends to get people to realize that they were escalating the issue beyond what they really believed.   True often of Usenet beefs, and shows up in Facebook often enough.

1 minute ago, MizBrown said:

Often, when people begin getting heated, a cooling off day or couple of days tends to get people to realize that they were escalating the issue beyond what they really believed.   True often of Usenet beefs, and shows up in Facebook often enough.

Agree. I have often seen a comment in these forum threads which has caused me to want to give a hasty reply then I think I will come back to it later.

When I read it later I think "What the heck" and move on.

Allan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

One of the “old hand” photographers, got some of the already iconic images, was Win McNamee.  I got to know him over 30 years ago when he married a friend of mine.  He has covered Washington politics for decades for Getty.  A real pro!

responding to the wrong poster.

Edited by MizBrown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

I'm reading his account of it now.   In the first photo, one of the protestors was wearing his employment ID on a lanyard.   He's since been investigated by his employer and fired.

The people doing this thought they were heroes.  

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I'm reading his account of it now.   In the first photo, one of the protestors was wearing his employment ID on a lanyard.   He's since been investigated by his employer and fired.

The people doing this thought they were heroes.  

That's for good old Miss History to decide. 

Just Clio (5,152) brings up too many small French cars.

Just History (16,307,348) is interesting too.

History Bastille = 1,788 😎

wim

On 06/01/2021 at 20:29, MDM said:

My favourite photo from that gallery. 

That one hit me the hardest too as I've seen it across several newspapers. The blatant white supremacy evoked by the confederate flag coupled with the middle-aged cosplay garbed person - in my mind dressed like a caveman - speaks to the immaturity and sense of unreality these people live in. I weep for my country and I don't know how we reconcile the two sides but I feel some bit of hope in the heartening victories in Georgia and faith in our new president and vice president being able to actually work with Congress at least for the next two years.

It is not political to condemn these actors unless you live in the same unreality that they do. To recognize that even the strongest democracy can falter is a lesson for all of us who have grown up in the democracies around the world, being constantly told the only threat to our way of life was communism, or jihadists, when really the greatest threat comes from inside. And to see how they were simply ushered out, with few arrests, while peaceful protesters were assaulted with teargas and rubber bullets for a photo op with a bible not long ago, well it speaks volumes. The problems in our society run so deep. 

This is why people become news photographers. A single image like this says volumes. More than any hand-wringing editorial every could. Discussing it and all these photos is what this forum is about. It is impossible to discuss their significance while remaining completely apolitical since it is politics that has brought us to this point. But it is also advisable to try to refrain from recriminations and name-calling which I think everyone here has done so far. 

Thanks for your condolences from those across the pond and elsewhere. As a very sad, yet hopeful and patriotic American, I certainly appreciate your support. 

• Love 7

5 minutes ago, Marianne said:

That one hit me the hardest too as I've seen it across several newspapers. The blatant white supremacy evoked by the confederate flag coupled with the middle-aged cosplay garbed person - in my mind dressed like a caveman - speaks to the immaturity and sense of unreality these people live in. I weep for my country and I don't know how we reconcile the two sides but I feel some bit of hope in the heartening victories in Georgia and faith in our new president and vice president being able to actually work with Congress at least for the next two years.

It is not political to condemn these actors unless you live in the same unreality that they do. To recognize that even the strongest democracy can falter is a lesson for all of us who have grown up in the democracies around the world, being constantly told the only threat to our way of life was communism, or jihadists, when really the greatest threat comes from inside. And to see how they were simply ushered out, with few arrests, while peaceful protesters were assaulted with teargas and rubber bullets for a photo op with a bible not long ago, well it speaks volumes. The problems in our society run so deep. 

This is why people become news photographers. A single image like this says volumes. More than any hand-wringing editorial every could. Discussing it and all these photos is what this forum is about. It is impossible to discuss their significance while remaining completely apolitical since it is politics that has brought us to this point. But it is also advisable to try to refrain from recriminations and name-calling which I think everyone here has done so far. 

Thanks for your condolences from those across the pond and elsewhere. As a very sad, yet hopeful and patriotic American, I certainly appreciate your support. 

As someone who lives next door, I'm hoping that our powerful neighbour has gotten a lot of poison out of its system during the past four years. Biden and Harris may not be perfect, but they seem to be the right people to help get the US out of its current pickle. During a political crisis, Canadian prime minister Pierre Trudeau once said, "No doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should."*  Hopefully he was correct.

*Trudeau was quoting the Desiderata.

• Love 3