Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

18 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Thank Betty they are very tasty. I have 4 other plant pots doing the same so you can grow over 140+ carrots in a couple of pots on the patio, take up no room in the veg plot and no thinning out.

Maybe I’ll use one of my tomato pots for carrots next year. I have 4 pots. I’ve got tomatoes coming out of my ears the past week.

What I would love is an asparagus patch. I love it and it’s so expensive to buy. I like to drizzle it with olive oil, season with with garlic salt and roast it.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Maybe I’ll use one of my tomato pots for carrots next year. I have 4 pots. I’ve got tomatoes coming out of my ears the past week.

What I would love is an asparagus patch. I love it and it’s so expensive to buy. I like to drizzle it with olive oil, season with with garlic salt and roast it.

My tomatoes are keeping me very well fed! as well, also picking 6/7 cucumbers a day, thankfully the local village shop takes them and they all sell every day. Love asparagus when its young, yesterday had whiting (caught on my own rod) wrapped in courgette ribbons (my own courgettes, use a speed peeler to get thin ribbons ) also baked with olive oil and sea salt. 

Andy.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, aphperspective said:

My tomatoes are keeping me very well fed! as well, also picking 6/7 cucumbers a day, thankfully the local village shop takes them and they all sell every day. Love asparagus when its young, yesterday had whiting (caught on my own rod) wrapped in courgette ribbons (my own courgettes, use a speed peeler to get thin ribbons ) also baked with olive oil and sea salt. 

Andy.

Ah. You’ve spoken of another of my loves. Fishing. I have fished since I was 8 years old. I haven’t been able to since moving to Kansas. I’m cautious of a woman alone sitting on a lake bank, an easy victim. Crime seems to be more rampant in Kansas than Oklahoma, where I moved from. Especially these days.
I have a serious collection of fishing gear, including light rods for trout and pan fish, right on up to the large rods. I would have loved to share your dinner.

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ah. You’ve spoken of another of my loves. Fishing. I have fished since I was 8 years old. I haven’t been able to since moving to Kansas. I’m cautious of a woman alone sitting on a lake bank, an easy victim. Crime seems to be more rampant in Kansas than Oklahoma, where I moved from. Especially these days.
I have a serious collection of fishing gear, including light rods for trout and pan fish, right on up to the large rods. I would have loved to share your dinner.

You can never have to much fishing gear, its the law 🙂. Always loved fishing my dad took me when I was about three with a little rod. Living on the coast in Ireland fresh fish of all sorts is not a problem, and being friendly with the local commercial skippers ensures a well stocked freezer.  

5 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Andy.

We are overrun with cucumbers and courgettes!

Favourite uses are a courgette and chorizo  jam (more of a chutney than a jam!) lasagne,  or I spiralise them for deep fried courgette ‘frizzles’. Not the healthiest veg

dish but delicious!

spiralised courgettes Stock Photo

Edited by Thyrsis

On 09/07/2020 at 19:53, Allan Bell said:

HURRAH!

I have had an email to say my beds which, if you remember delivery was held up by covid lockdown, are to be delivered on 17th July 2020.

Looking forward to a comfortable good nights sleep.

Allan

😭 Whaaaa Haaaa Haaaaa! 

My delayed delivery of beds due tomorrow have been delayed AGAIN!

Now due 5th August.🤬

Allan

The good thing is I have fixed up my self painted curtain poles.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

10 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

😭 Whaaaa Haaaa Haaaaa! 

My delayed delivery of beds due tomorrow have been delayed AGAIN!

Now due 5th August.🤬

Allan

The good thing is I have fixed up my self painted curtain poles.

ITMA

Darn, darn, heck.

16 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

We are overrun with cucumbers and courgettes!

Favourite uses are a courgette and chorizo  jam (more of a chutney than a jam!) lasagne,  or I spiralise them for deep fried courgette ‘frizzles’. Not the healthiest veg

dish but delicious!

spiralised courgettes Stock Photo

I'm going to give the deep fried courgettes a go with my fish, make a healthy change from fish n chips.😉

6 hours ago, aphperspective said:

I'm going to give the deep fried courgettes a go with my fish, make a healthy change from fish n chips.😉

Spiralise them or cut into very thin batons. Pat them dry with kitchen roll or a tea towel. Put them in a bowl and toss with a spoonful of cornflour to coat them. Fry immediately in hot deep vegetable oil,  turning regularly as they get crisp. Drain on kitchen roll, add a little salt and eat! 

Edited by Thyrsis

15 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Spiralise them or cut into very thin batons. Pat them dry with kitchen roll or a tea towel. Put them in a bowl and toss with a spoonful of cornflour to coat them. Fry immediately in hot deep vegetable oil,  turning regularly as they get crisp. Drain on kitchen roll, add a little salt and eat! 

Still waiting for the courgette onslaught in these northerly climes, but they're not far away. In past years we've kept friends and neighbours supplied, as we struggle to deal with the quantities produced. A comprehensive list of cooking solutions would be useful. We don't normally get much further than making muck, the traditional blend of onions, tomatoes and courgettes that posh folk call ratatouille. During lockdown we've been watching Rick Stein's cookery wanderings and courgettes get occasional mention - fried flowers come to mind. Not sure I could be bothered with that mind.

Edit should have mentioned that we lifted and ate our first carrot of the season, very nice indeed and a world away from the tasteless supermarket version. We grow them in troughs around the top of the compost bins, which, to date, has been successful in keeping the root fly at bay.

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Still waiting for the courgette onslaught in these northerly climes, but they're not far away. In past years we've kept friends and neighbours supplied, as we struggle to deal with the quantities produced. A comprehensive list of cooking solutions would be useful. We don't normally get much further than making muck, the traditional blend of onions, tomatoes and courgettes that posh folk call ratatouille. 

Use the ‘muck’ instead of the ragu sauce in lasagne. Just make sure it’s not too liquid or you’ll end up with a very runny lasagne!

Also, as you grow beetroot, a quiche with grilled courgette slices, thinly sliced roast beetroot and soft goat’s cheese is good. 

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Use the ‘muck’ instead of the ragu sauce in lasagne. Just make sure it’s not too liquid or you’ll end up with a very runny lasagne!

Also, as you grow beetroot, a quiche with grilled courgette slices, thinly sliced roast beetroot and soft goat’s cheese is good. 

Ah beetroot and cheese, one of my favourites, but the courgette addition is new to me. We'll give it a go.

42 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Government realized hubby was owed back money from pension and $8500 dropped in his bank account today.  Well needed.

Jill

"Dropped"? Must have smashed a big hole right through it🤩

As "good things" go, that's a good thing.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Government realized hubby was owed back money from pension and $8500 dropped in his bank account today.  Well needed.

Jill

That’ll pay for the car damage, Jill! Very good!

My good thing is I received delivery of a ceramic butcher’s tray for watercolor mixing today. I scored it on a 2/3 off sale from one of my art supply online shops.  
Another good thing, Alexa has been playing Brooks and Dunn country music for me. Whatever artist I want to hear, I just say, “Alexa, play....xxxx xxxxxx.” Or, “Alexa, play 80s pop music”.

A lot of people say they’d never have one of those, listening in, yada, yada. I say, unplug it when not using.

• Love 1

My daughter safely made the 15 hour drive from Florida to NYC, packed up her apartment over the course of two weeks, then drove west to live near my son in Arizona. The NYC to Northern Arizona drive was done over four days. I’m relieved she’s made it safely and now feel I can relax a bit. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’ll pay for the car damage, Jill! Very good!

My good thing is I received delivery of a ceramic butcher’s tray for watercolor mixing today. I scored it on a 2/3 off sale from one of my art supply online shops.  
Another good thing, Alexa has been playing Brooks and Dunn country music for me. Whatever artist I want to hear, I just say, “Alexa, play....xxxx xxxxxx.” Or, “Alexa, play 80s pop music”.

A lot of people say they’d never have one of those, listening in, yada, yada. I say, unplug it when not using.

I love my Alexa and music is my main use for it now.  And as a timer and an alarm.

Jill

Watched another episode of A House Through Time, which I find fascinating and very well presented. They take a house that has survived a century or two and examine the lives of some of the people who have lived there. The current series is based upon a house in Liverpool, so might be of particular interest to Ed, but you don't need to have an association with the city to enjoy the programmes.  BBC 2 or watch it through iPlayer.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

On 18/07/2020 at 16:15, Jill Morgan said:

I love my Alexa and music is my main use for it now.  And as a timer and an alarm.

Jill

Jill, when I moved from Oklahoma to Kansas, I could no longer get the sports radio show I listened to every morning. Not only does Kansas news & sports tv never mention my Oklahoma Sooners football team, their sports reporting is just bad. So not only was I getting used to a new house, finding my way around town, I couldn’t keep up with my team. Not hearing my show was a big deal for me. I’m only one state away from where I used to live, I can’t imagine the adaptation Ed’s had to make over the past couple of years.

My sister told me I could get “Sports Animal” (my show) on Alexa. I ordered one the very next day. Yes, I listen to my radio show, listen to music, ask her what the temperature is, set the alarm if needed, and I can ask her facts. 
When a favorite song comes on, I say, “Alexa, I like this song” and she saves the title as a favorite. Later, I can tell her to play all of the songs “I liked”.  Pretty cool.

On 18/07/2020 at 13:46, Cecile Marion said:

My daughter safely made the 15 hour drive from Florida to NYC, packed up her apartment over the course of two weeks, then drove west to live near my son in Arizona. The NYC to Northern Arizona drive was done over four days. I’m relieved she’s made it safely and now feel I can relax a bit. 

What a chore she had. My goodness. We never stop worrying, do we?