Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Hi Betty,

I'm very much enjoying reading Mrs Bridge set in Kansas City - can't help thinking of you and some of your family experiences recounted here on the forum.😀

Edited by geogphotos

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Oh hell just read terrible news coming from Kansas City - so sorry to hear all that.

Thank you, Ian. Yes, very bad news. I had turned off the TV before it happened. I’m in Wichita, Kansas.

33 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you, Ian. Yes, very bad news. I had turned off the TV before it happened. I’m in Wichita, Kansas.

Do you know the book I mentioned by Evan S Connell? 

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Do you know the book I mentioned by Evan S Connell? 

No, I don’t think so. But you must realize I’ve read about 4-5 books a week since I was 8 years old. Voracious reader. I couldn’t possibly remember all of the titles. I’m sure I’m pushing 4,000 books. Some of my favorites like Gone With the Wind or Grapes of Wrath, I’ve read several times with some years in between. 

For instance, in elementary school, the teacher would assign us to do a report on a book about an American president. I would check out 4 books from the town library on different Presidents, read them all, then do my report on the one I liked the most. The weird thing is I quickly forget the names of most of the authors. When I worked for a doctor for 10 years, I remembered patients’ faces but seldom remembered their names.

I wore nurse’s whites at work. One day I ran into a patient in a department store. I said, “Hi, how are you?” She stared at me for a bit, then her eyes lit up with recognition. She laughed and said, “Oh for a minute I didn’t recognize you with your clothes off!”

Of course she meant my uniform but that didn’t stop me from laughing my head off as she turned beet red, stuttering, also laughing.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

No, I don’t think so. But you must realize I’ve read about 4-5 books a week since I was 8 years old. Voracious reader. I couldn’t possibly remember all of the titles. I’m sure I’m pushing 4,000 books. Some of my favorites like Gone With the Wind or Grapes of Wrath, I’ve read several times with some years in between. 

For instance, in elementary school, the teacher would assign us to do a report on a book about an American president. I would check out 4 books from the town library on different Presidents, read them all, then do my report on the one I liked the most. The weird thing is I quickly forget the names of most of the authors. When I worked for a doctor for 10 years, I remembered patients’ faces but seldom remembered their names.

I wore nurse’s whites at work. One day I ran into a patient in a department store. I said, “Hi, how are you?” She stared at me for a bit, then her eyes lit up with recognition. She laughed and said, “Oh for a minute I didn’t recognize you with your clothes off!”

Of course she meant my uniform but that didn’t stop me from laughing my head off as she turned beet red, stuttering, also laughing.

Give 'Mrs Bridge' a try!

15 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Give 'Mrs Bridge' a try!

I will if I can find it. Most of my reading materials come via Bookbub for the past 10 years, most of them free. I read them on my Kindle. I do get caught up by an author occasionally who gets me hooked with a free book, then I pay from .99 to 3.99 for another one or two. I have to wrench myself away! When I was buying books I could hold in my hands, I spent way too much.

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I will if I can find it. Most of my reading materials come via Bookbub for the past 10 years, most of them free. I read them on my Kindle. I do get caught up by an author occasionally who gets me hooked with a free book, then I pay from .99 to 3.99 for another one or two. I have to wrench myself away! When I was buying books I could hold in my hands, I spent way too much.

Have you tried taking out e-books from the library? The app I like best is Libby and it connects with our library here. I don't know what might be available where you are but it's worth trying for free books.

Love, Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Have you tried taking out e-books from the library? The app I like best is Libby and it connects with our library here. I don't know what might be available where you are but it's worth trying for free books.

Love, Paulette

No I haven’t tried that yet. My sister keeps encouraging me to do that. She does it often. She’s a reader like me, just not quite as voracious.
We came by it naturally, my mom was a reader also. I didn’t pass it on to my kids who read some, but not often. Maybe they received too many of their Dad’s genes. He didn’t even read the newspaper that came every day. Occasionally he’d pick up a fishing magazine & glance through it. He subscribed to a fishing mag but I was the one who read it cover to cover. Maybe that’s why I always outfished him! 😆

• Like 1

Various good things.

For the first time this year we played music at our local National Trust property on Saturday, then, the following day, we played for a Wassailing ceremony at Durham Old Gardens - slightly weird but harmless.

With the weather warming the gardening year quickens pace.  I  took delivery of 60 kg of seed spuds for our allotment society, and continued to sow seeds.  Aubergines already showing and fortnightly sowings of leeks well under way. Today I sowed parsnips in the greenhouse and started off some red onion sets in trays under glass. Overwintering broad beans are now hardening off prior to planting later in the week - I'm hoping we don't get any more severe frosts, they'll survive some cold but not minus10 deg C.

More people are appearing at the allotment site, there's opportunity for a chat between jobs. 

Then there is the saga of the leaking water butt. The first attempt at a concrete solution failed miserably, I put it down to an excess of water in the mix. So I dug it out, sieved the contents and tried again using fresh cement and less water.  It's looking better, but time will tell.

• Like 1

I bought  a new cordless upright vacuum that was delivered today. I had to get my son-in-law to come over & put it together. He likes puzzles. Considering it took me 30 minutes to open the box, I decided not to attempt putting it together.

The box. The infernal box. Sometimes it was on top…sometimes I was. A chewed tongue later, I won the battle. I laid out the parts on the floor, stared for a minute, then picked up the phone. I think I’d used up my frustration quota for the day.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I bought  a new cordless upright vacuum that was delivered today. I had to get my son-in-law to come over & put it together. He likes puzzles. Considering it took me 30 minutes to open the box, I decided not to attempt putting it together.

The box. The infernal box. Sometimes it was on top…sometimes I was. A chewed tongue later, I won the battle. I laid out the parts on the floor, stared for a minute, then picked up the phone. I think I’d used up my frustration quota for the day.

If your son is not available call me. I like that sort of puzzle.

Minimal charges apply.🤨

Allan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

If your son is not available call me. I like that sort of puzzle.

Minimal charges apply.🤨

Allan

You missed your opportunity to buy the house next door 2 years ago when my neighbors moved to Florida. Dang!
Mike was my handyman & I sure miss him. I never asked him to help me, but he always seemed to intuit when I needed help & volunteered.

i would pay you with baked goods. 🤤

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You missed your opportunity to buy the house next door 2 years ago when my neighbors moved to Florida. Dang!
Mike was my handyman & I sure miss him. I never asked him to help me, but he always seemed to intuit when I needed help & volunteered.

i would pay you with baked goods. 🤤

Dang! See I am starting to use the lingo already.

Allan

• Love 1

I took 6 of my watercolor paintings to be matted & framed yesterday. I’ll pick them up today. It was fun picking out frames & mats that best complimented the painting. There is a buy-one-get-one-free sale on the frames, so it was a good time for me to do this. I saved quite a bit.

I brought home at least 4 paintings out of the lot that I chose not to frame at this time until I rob a bank.

I'm working on my mask now. Any of you want to volunteer to drive the getaway car?

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I took 6 of my watercolor paintings to be matted & framed yesterday. I’ll pick them up today. It was fun picking out frames & mats that best complimented the painting. There is a buy-one-get-one-free sale on the frames, so it was a good time for me to do this. I saved quite a bit.

I brought home at least 4 paintings out of the lot that I chose not to frame at this time until I rob a bank.

I'm working on my mask now. Any of you want to volunteer to drive the getaway car?

Count me in. I have AA breakdown assistance. JIC.  I'll bring my own mask.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Count me in. I have AA breakdown assistance. JIC.  I'll bring my own mask.

Allan

Apropos of nothing, if you have Homestart the nice AA man will come to your address to diagnose a red dashboard warning light, but not a yellow one. Fortunately ours was red- handy to confirm that I really did need to change the ABS pump recently. Although we'd driven to Germany and back with the fault, because the brakes still work, just not the ABS, and since to my knowledge the ABS has only cut in once in 14 years of driving the car, we reckoned, whatever, no biggie.

Edited by spacecadet

Had a colonoscopy today. My last one was 11 years ago, so I was bit concerned about what might have transpired during that time. Fortunately, the road was clear, not even any polyps or other speed bumps, so it looks like I'll be uploading for awhile longer. 🤞

• Like 4

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Had a colonoscopy today. My last one was 11 years ago, so I was bit concerned about what might have transpired during that time. Fortunately, the road was clear, not even any polyps or other speed bumps, so it looks like I'll be uploading for awhile longer. 🤞

Great news.

Allan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

👍x2.

We now have a nationwide screening. Lots more convenient than having a camera shoved up the nether regions. I once woke up and it looked remarkably like a computer game: a space ship barreling through a canyon. Complete with shooting at the polyps, which I could feel and probably was what woke me up. Smelled like burning pig meat.

Oh and the nice drinks the day before are a thing of the past also. 😁

Congratulations you have reached the next level.

wim

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

👍x2.

We now have a nationwide screening. Lots more convenient than having a camera shoved up the nether regions. I once woke up and it looked remarkably like a computer game: a space ship barreling through a canyon. Complete with shooting at the polyps, which I could feel and probably was what woke me up. Smelled like burning pig meat.

Oh and the nice drinks the day before are a thing of the past also. 😁

Congratulations you have reached the next level.

wim

My doc makes sure that I have a FIT screening test every year. My latest one was positive, which is why I went for the colonoscopy. Fortunately, it turned out to be a false alarm. The test is apparently about 70% reliable. Even when it is, there are many possible causes for microscopic blood in one's poo (sorry to be so graphic). They gave me a mild "happy drug" during the procedure, which didn't knock me out. I actually enjoy following the whole thing on the screen. It's a bit like watching a car rally. Then again, I've never had any polyps burned off. Sounds a bit gross. For me, the worst part by far was the prep, especially having to drink four liters of vile liquid that should be made illegal. 🤢

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I found an old 1970's Shaftsbury Rodeo acoustic guitar in a local Charity Shop over the weekend. Given its age it wasn't in bad condition with just a bit of cracking to the lacquer on the body. Having got it home I gave it a good clean and fitted new strings. Having then tuned it I noticed the tension on the strings had pulled the bridge away from the guitar body. It's also developed a 'belly bow', dipping in front of the bridge and raised behind it. Before noticing the problem I'd strummed a few tunes and it sounded great and was nice to play. I've since slackened the strings off again to release the tension on the bridge. The bridge is riveted on to the body and seems quite secure so I'm going to leave that as it is for now.

Belly Bow was a new one to me but after watching numerous YouTube videos today I now know quite a bit about it. The solution seems to be a device called a Bridge Doctor which sits inside the guitar, under the bridge, and allows adjustments to try and pull the belly back in. I've ordered one from Amazon today so belly busting looks like my project for the weekend. 

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

My doc makes sure that I have a FIT screening test every year. My latest one was positive, which is why I went for the colonoscopy. Fortunately, it turned out to be a false alarm. The test is apparently about 70% reliable. Even when it is, there are many possible causes for microscopic blood in one's poo (sorry to be so graphic). They gave me a mild "happy drug" during the procedure, which didn't knock me out. I actually enjoy following the whole thing on the screen. It's a bit like watching a car rally. Then again, I've never had any polyps burned off. Sounds a bit gross. For me, the worst part by far was the prep, especially having to drink four liters of vile liquid that should be made illegal. 🤢

I’ve had several of these & hate the prep. The last one I had, of course I was starving when done since I couldn’t have anything the day before but clear liquids/jello. Versaid was the drug they gave me. It’s a “doesn’t stop the pain but makes you forget it” drug. I was all the way out. On the way home, I asked hubby to stop at a fast food place & I got a bacon, egg & cheese biscuit, I love those things. I ate it immediately in the car. By the time I got home, I knew I had had the biscuit but couldn’t remember how it tasted. Bummer.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic