Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

This is a bit of a good thing/bad thing post.  A few days ago my daughter told me that she is moving out and getting rental house with another nurse and the nurse's brother.  For many reasons this is good for her and me but I sure will miss having her here, even if our schedules are almost opposite.  I will also miss her cat.  We have grown close....but not sure I will be quick to get another one to fill that void.  She was on her own before, during the height of Covid, and then with me for the last two years.  The house they are getting is about 20 mins away so not too far.  But as she gets close to 30 yr old, it is good for her to be more on her own. 

I guess that you will remain close whatever.   Our younger son, now 40 years old, rang up the other day asking how to make a cheese sauce like I used to make, when he was at home  -  20 years ago.  I couldn't remember, but it was good to talk.

This coming weekend my wife is flying south to visit her brother and family, so an opportunity to practice my culinary skills. I won't starve.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I guess that you will remain close whatever.   Our younger son, now 40 years old, rang up the other day asking how to make a cheese sauce like I used to make, when he was at home  -  20 years ago.  I couldn't remember, but it was good to talk.

This coming weekend my wife is flying south to visit her brother and family, so an opportunity to practice my culinary skills. I won't starve.

Yes, we are close and always have been...even in through her teens, she was never embarrassed of me and he friends would often call me "dad".  That was really nice.  Today she said she wants to go to Denmark with me, where my maternal grandmother was born (on Bornholm island), sort of a roots trip.

In all the years since self-scanning came out, I think I’ve done it maybe 4 or 5 times. It almost makes me break out in a sweat. I just wait in line because I’m never in that much of a hurry.
Besides….some nice conversations can be had while waiting!

We are finally out of the deep freeze over the past week. Still below freezing at night, but hooray, today is expected to be 62F. And the sun is out after weeks of cloudy, wet, foggy, freezing fog weather.

Amazing what a bit of sunshine can do for one’s spirits. I understand the UK has more wet, cloudy weather than we do. After all, you are basically an island. I don’t know how you can stand it. It’s not the norm for us to have extended dank weather.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

We are finally out of the deep freeze over the past week. Still below freezing at night, but hooray, today is expected to be 62F. And the sun is out after weeks of cloudy, wet, foggy, freezing fog weather.

Amazing what a bit of sunshine can do for one’s spirits. I understand the UK has more wet, cloudy weather than we do. After all, you are basically an island. I don’t know how you can stand it. It’s not the norm for us to have extended dank weather.

Yes it's wonderful seeing a bit of sunshine !  It has rained all day here today, enough to completely fill a large water butt, but yesterday we had hazy sunshine.

Across the UK the weather pattern varies, it tends to be wetter in the west and drier in the east. It's normally a bit warmer in the south, but there was a record January temperature recorded in  Scotland yesterday of 19.9 deg  C   (67.3 F).   I live in the north east of England, probably a bit brighter but, in summer, a bit colder than the rest of the country. Often we look at the forecast intending to travel a  moderate distance,  but find that we have the best weather just where we are.  

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Yes it's wonderful seeing a bit of sunshine !  It has rained all day here today, enough to completely fill a large water butt, but yesterday we had hazy sunshine.

Across the UK the weather pattern varies, it tends to be wetter in the west and drier in the east. It's normally a bit warmer in the south, but there was a record January temperature recorded in  Scotland yesterday of 19.9 deg  C   (67.3 F).   I live in the north east of England, probably a bit brighter but a bit colder than the rest of England. Often we look at the forecast intending to travel a  moderate distance,  but find that we have the best weather just where we are.  

I just checked the temperature, & it’s 67! Jumping up clicking heels!
Ok, you know that’s a lie. I’d end up in traction for a month! 😂

• Love 1

I bought a new iPhone. An Apple 15 Max Pro. Oh boy. It is a pretty thing. My old one is a 6 so I knew it would be somewhat different. So far I'm doing OK with it. I live not far from a couple of Apple stores and they are really good at helping. The camera should be much better and I will take one of their workshops to learn all the ins and outs. Of course, nowhere to submit the photos now. Sigh.

Paulette

• Love 1

I now have the iPhone 15 Pro Max. What a camera! Of course I have done this just as Stockimo has disappeared. I watched a video about all the settings and my brain feels a bit scrambled. There is definitely a lot to be learned. If anyone has suggestions about videos or articles that might be helpful please let me know. I want to set up the basic preferences for the maximum quality.

Paulette

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I now have the iPhone 15 Pro Max. What a camera! Of course I have done this just as Stockimo has disappeared. I watched a video about all the settings and my brain feels a bit scrambled. There is definitely a lot to be learned. If anyone has suggestions about videos or articles that might be helpful please let me know. I want to set up the basic preferences for the maximum quality.

Paulette

Yes, these latest phone cameras are pretty darn good.  

Yes, I have been reading novels on my phone for a long time. I had an iPhone 6plus so big enough to be comfortable to read. It was very handy when I was traveling with a friend. I could continue to read after she went to sleep. Didn't need a bedside lamp. Now with a real book I'm frustrated not to be able to enlarge the print!

Paulette

• Love 1

This started as a bad thing, our ten year old vacuum cleaner refused to operate. I checked the price of a replacement, between £300 and £400.

I then checked the fuse, it was fine, so we changed the bag - it was full,  dug away yards of thread from around the roller, and cleaned out the tubes.

Still no joy, burnt out motor perhaps ?

I rang a local repair man who said he would look at it. Took it to his shop and by the time we had got home he had sent a message saying that it was a fault in the wiring harness, apparently fairly common with these machines, it would cost £40 to fix it.  Said yes, and was told to come back to the shop in the afternoon.

Did so, it works.

Much prefer to repair rather than replace

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

This started as a bad thing, our ten year old vacuum cleaner refused to operate. I checked the price of a replacement, between £300 and £400.

I then checked the fuse, it was fine, so we changed the bag - it was full,  dug away yards of thread from around the roller, and cleaned out the tubes.

Still no joy, burnt out motor perhaps ?

I rang a local repair man who said he would look at it. Took it to his shop and by the time we had got home he had sent a message saying that it was a fault in the wiring harness, apparently fairly common with these machines, it would cost £40 to fix it.  Said yes, and was told to come back to the shop in the afternoon.

Did so, it works.

Much prefer to repair rather than replace

The sort of thing I help to fix at repair cafés, of which there are more and more around the country.

http://www.restarters.net

Probably a broken wire at a point of movement?.. Good that you still have a repairman, the difference is that repair cafés are intended for people without the £40 to spare, and we don't charge, although donations are welcome. I haven't had a vaccuum yet, but I've extended the life of radios, light sabres, clocks and standard lamps recently. Laptops are tackled, but I stay away from these after a mind-numbing experience with a component change. Not my deepartment, captain.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

The sort of thing I help to fix at repair cafés, of which there are more and more around the country.

http://www.restarters.net

Good to learn that you are involved with the repair café movement Mark. It's a great idea.

Re laptop. That owned by my missus started to misbehave after we had an SSD fitted. We took it to a local computer repair place but they deemed it unfixable, new laptop required and acquired.

I decided not to give up on the old one however and have discovered that the fault only occurs when you restart it very shortly after switching it off.  Being careful to avoid this, I get 100% reliability, until, that is, Mr Microsoft sends out his Windows update requiring a restart or two during installation.  Given that this only happens about once a month, I can live with the problem, but remain curious as to why there is this strange behaviour. 

Meanwhile, in celebration of my success in taming the beast,  I've just indulged in a brand new Logitech trackball, currently on offer at Argos.

Edited by Bryan

On 06/02/2024 at 13:30, NYCat said:

Paulette

I just got that same phone, Paulette, & switched carriers. To give me a good trade in price for my 12 pro max, they said at AT&T I had to upgrade my plan, an addition $30 over what I was paying. I told him forget it & drove across the street to Verizon. Got the fantastic trade-in, & an upgraded plan for what I’d been paying at AT&T. I don’t understand when I walk through a door with my silver hair, salesmen see sucker. 
I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck.

Wichita doesn’t have an Apple Store like I was used to in Oklahoma City.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I love all the help I get at the Apple Store. The guy who was teaching the iPhone class had hair that was long and mostly green with a section shaved with a design. He had long sparkling fingernails with different colors on each finger. He was very patient with a couple of guys he was teaching who were old and very much in need of help. Very New York in a good way. I have also just bought the Sony RX100 mvii. It has been decades since I set up my original  RX100 and I seem to remember very little about dealing with the menus. It took me a long, long time to set up language, location, date, time and image format. Digital exhaustion has set in.

Paulette

27 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I love all the help I get at the Apple Store. The guy who was teaching the iPhone class had hair that was long and mostly green with a section shaved with a design. He had long sparkling fingernails with different colors on each finger. He was very patient with a couple of guys he was teaching who were old and very much in need of help. Very New York in a good way. I have also just bought the Sony RX100 mvii. It has been decades since I set up my original  RX100 and I seem to remember very little about dealing with the menus. It took me a long, long time to set up language, location, date, time and image format. Digital exhaustion has set in.

Paulette

So you & I have the same setup. Except for our bigger cameras. Sony menus aren’t fun. I haven’t found where to reformat my memory card yet. 😅I always do it in-camera.

On 07/02/2024 at 00:49, NYCat said:

Yes, I have been reading novels on my phone for a long time. I had an iPhone 6plus so big enough to be comfortable to read. It was very handy when I was traveling with a friend. I could continue to read after she went to sleep. Didn't need a bedside lamp. Now with a real book I'm frustrated not to be able to enlarge the print!

Paulette

With its larger page for reading, I stopped in at the Apple store yesterday to compare the new iPhone 15 Pro Max to my iPhone 12 mini. I do not need a better phone camera. The one on my 12 works just fine for the memo snaps I use it for.  Considering reading books on a somewhat larger screen, I decided I was content with the screen I had, that larger was not worth the cost for me. Apple was willing to allow for a £200 trade-in. I'm going to stay with what I have.

You're a clever lass, Paulette. You won't have any serious problems setting up your new phone.

I am reliably informed that today marks the 55th anniversary of my relationship with herself, our 50th wedding anniversary occurs later this year.  It's been good. no complaints.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I am reliably informed that today marks the 55th anniversary of my relationship with herself, our 50th wedding anniversary occurs later this year.  It's been good. no complaints.

Brilliant!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Bryan, a woman always considers it a huge plus in a man to not only be heart to heart, but to get one who is handy at fixing or building things. Mine was a sweetheart (most of the time) but when it came to handyman stuff, he was of the stick-it-together-with-chewing-gum and baling wire sort. If it was something I could figure out how to do, I ended up doing it. Or stood over him & directed him if I didn’t have the strength!😁

Your wife is fortunate to have you. And I’m sure, you are fortunate to have her.

This repair resulted in it coming apart on Christmas Eve & flooding 4 rooms of our house during the night. It was only hearing water gush through the floor heating vents that made us get up & start baling.

C0J5P3.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This repair resulted in it coming apart on Christmas Eve & flooding 4 rooms of our house during the night. It was only hearing water gush through the floor heating vents that made us get up & start baling.

W

Not much fun doing that Betty, parts difficult to get at and very uncomfortable ! Full marks for effort.

Over the years we've had the feeds to most of taps {faucets} replaced with those armoured flexible  connections that generally come with a valve, which is a good thing. However friends of ours suffered flooding when such a connection burst while they were away. You can't win with plumbing..

2TB8C7F.jpg

• Alamy locked this topic