Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had several of these & hate the prep. The last one I had, of course I was starving when done since I couldn’t have anything the day before but clear liquids/jello. Versaid was the drug they gave me. It’s a “doesn’t stop the pain but makes you forget it” drug. I was all the way out. On the way home, I asked hubby to stop at a fast food place & I got a bacon, egg & cheese biscuit, I love those things. I ate it immediately in the car. By the time I got home, I knew I had had the biscuit but couldn’t remember how it tasted. Bummer.

Prep was the same for me. I headed straight to the refrigerator when I got home. 🏃‍♂️

Whatever drug they gave me, an opioid I imagine, made me feel dreamy with no pain at all.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

My doc makes sure that I have a FIT screening test every year. My latest one was positive, which is why I went for the colonoscopy. Fortunately, it turned out to be a false alarm. The test is apparently about 70% reliable. Even when it is, there are many possible causes for microscopic blood in one's poo (sorry to be so graphic). They gave me a mild "happy drug" during the procedure, which didn't knock me out. I actually enjoy following the whole thing on the screen. It's a bit like watching a car rally. Then again, I've never had any polyps burned off. Sounds a bit gross. For me, the worst part by far was the prep, especially having to drink four liters of vile liquid that should be made illegal. 🤢

Like Wim, in England, we get bowel screening. We're sent a test every two years over the age of 60 (I think). That's just a poo sample, collected at home, and posted off to a lab. The NHS agreed to give me a colonoscopy in my late 50's as we have a family history of colon cancer. I had a follow up colonoscopy just before Xmas last year. All was good but because they found one polyp I've been referred for another colonoscopy in 5 years time. The consultant did say if they hadn't found the polyp they would have discharged me and just relied on the poo tests in the future as they're excellent at identifying any possible problems. Those Colonoscopy prep solutions are awful. However, on the report card the Consultant sent me home with he gave me a Gold Star for bowel preparation 😁

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

I'll join the colonoscopy club, had a couple ! Prior to going I was told by a guy at the allotment that it was the worst thing he had ever experienced, but, in practice, the only bad bit was the prep the previous day.  I also had some polyps cauterised, felt it, but not painful.  I recall a large male nurse positioned at my head, presumably prepared to stop any squirming, or panicky movement, but no need.  Watching on the monitor was quite interesting.  There's nowt to it.

The joys of getting old, but better than the alternative....

19 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Prep was the same for me. I headed straight to the refrigerator when I got home. 🏃‍♂️

Whatever drug they gave me, an opioid I imagine, made me feel dreamy with no pain at all.

I don’t know if I had no pain, or did, & didn’t remember it! The first test I had done, the doctor found several polyps & removed them. One larger one was pre-cancerous. Tests thereafter showed no reoccurrence.

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I don’t know if I had no pain, or did, & didn’t remember it! The first test I had done, the doctor found several polyps & removed them. One larger one was pre-cancerous. Tests thereafter showed no reoccurrence.

That's good to hear. Sounds like it was wise for you to have the procedure done. I guess you got a lower higher dose or a different drug. I was awake both times and comfortably watched the whole show on the screen. There were no commercials thankfully. As mentioned, no polyps were found, but the doc said that I do have some diverticulitus, which apparently is very common.

Edited by John Mitchell

22 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's good to hear. Sounds like it was wise for you to have the procedure done. I guess you got a lower dose or a different drug. I was awake both times and comfortably watched the whole show on the screen. There were no commercials thankfully. As mentioned, no polyps were found, but the doc said that I do have some diverticulitus, which apparently is very common.

Common, maybe, but can cause trouble. My sister had food pack in one of hers. It got infected to the point she had to have abdominal surgery & removal of a small section of bowel, years ago. That surgeon left a large blind alley at the point of resection that recently got severely impacted to the point there was a worry that tests showed the large mass might have been a tumor. It wasn’t. She had surgery this last late December, & a different surgeon removed it. Two surgeries that began with a diverticuli. She still has others, too many & diversely located to remove.

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Common, maybe, but can cause trouble. My sister had food pack in one of hers. It got infected to the point she had to have abdominal surgery & removal of a small section of bowel, years ago. That surgeon left a large blind alley at the point of resection that recently got severely impacted to the point there was a worry that tests showed the large mass might have been a tumor. It wasn’t. She had surgery this last late December, & a different surgeon removed it. Two surgeries that began with a diverticuli. She still has others, too many & diversely located to remove.

Ouch! I'll be speaking to my family doctor soon about the colonoscopy results. Shall see what he has to say.

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Ouch! I'll be speaking to my family doctor soon about the colonoscopy results. Shall see what he has to say.

Doctors used to recommend if one had potentially problematic ones, not to eat things like corn, nuts, seeds, coconut; things that weren’t very digestible. I think I read recently that they removed those recommendations. My sister was told not to eat those things years ago but she ate them anyway.  Snickers are her favorite candy bar & they have nuts. Coconut pie is another favorite of hers.

It’s really hard for people to cut out favorite foods if you are a foodie. She’s not heavy by any means but eats what she likes to eat.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Doctors used to recommend if one had potentially problematic ones, not to eat things like corn, nuts, seeds, coconut; things that weren’t very digestible. I think I read recently that they removed those recommendations. My sister was told not to eat those things years ago but she ate them anyway.  Snickers are her favorite candy bar & they have nuts. Coconut pie is another favorite of hers.

It’s really hard for people to cut out favorite foods if you are a foodie. She’s not heavy by any means but eats what she likes to eat.

I do love chunky peanut butter. Can't see giving that up. Also, I often buy multigrain bread, which usually has a lot of seeds. Lately, though, I've switched to plain whole wheat bread since all that indigestible stuff just goes through your system anyway. Will have to see what the doc recommends...👨‍⚕️

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

I do love chunky peanut butter. Can't see giving that up. Also, I often buy multigrain bread, which usually has a lot of seeds. Lately, though, I've switched to plain whole wheat bread since all that indigestible stuff just goes through your system anyway. Will have to see what the doc recommends...👨‍⚕️

Those indigestible things are fiber, & we fair better with fiber. Maybe better with beans, celery & those things for fiber. Eat the potato skins on your baked potato. I do.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Those indigestible things are fiber, & we fair better with fiber. Maybe better with beans, celery & those things for fiber. Eat the potato skins on your baked potato. I do.

I'm herbivorous for the most part, so I get lotsa fiber (perhaps too much). Love potato skins. 🥔

• Love 1

All this talk of healthy fibrous food makes me feel very slightly guilty, having just prepared a batch of garlic flavoured pizza dough for use this evening !

We'll have to have some salad as an accompaniment and fungi on top.

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

All this talk of healthy fibrous food makes me feel very slightly guilty, having just prepared a batch of garlic flavoured pizza dough for use this evening !

I had two pieces of that guilty stuff 3 days ago. I didn’t feel guilty past 10 seconds. No salad. 🍕🍕

Speaking of diverticulitis, it seems that the dietary recommendations have changed. Crunchy peanut butter and the like may be back on the menu:

"In the past, doctors had recommended that people with diverticular disease (diverticulosis or diverticulitis) avoid hard-to-digest foods such as nuts, corn, popcorn, and seeds, for fear that these foods would get stuck in the diverticula and lead to inflammation. However, recent research has noted that there is no real scientific evidence to back up this recommendation.

In fact, nuts and seeds are components of many high-fiber foods, which are recommended for people with diverticular disease."

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

I enjoy whole wheat pizza. It can be difficult to find in restaurants, though. I also enjoy a Caesar salad with pizza.  A glass of red wine is of course de rigueur. Lately, Ive been experimenting with de-acoholized wines as I'm wanting to cut down on the real thing. They ain't bad at all. 🍷

Edited by John Mitchell

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Speaking of diverticulitis, it seems that the dietary recommendations have changed. Crunchy peanut butter and the like may be back on the menu:

"In the past, doctors had recommended that people with diverticular disease (diverticulosis or diverticulitis) avoid hard-to-digest foods such as nuts, corn, popcorn, and seeds, for fear that these foods would get stuck in the diverticula and lead to inflammation. However, recent research has noted that there is no real scientific evidence to back up this recommendation.

In fact, nuts and seeds are components of many high-fiber foods, which are recommended for people with diverticular disease."

Yes that’s what I said before . I read somewhere a month or two ago about the change in thinking. But John, I remember when doctors said to put butter on a burn. Later they said no, you’ll hold in the heat, use cold water then later, no, cool water.

When my kids were born, doctors said I couldn’t sit in bath water for 6 weeks.  I knelt in a bathtub in 3 inches of water & it wasn’t fun. Basically a sponge bath. At the time, we had no shower. Clean oneself with boiled sterilized water. Later, when my grands were born, mothers took sitz baths & soaked.

If I thought about it, maybe did some research, I could name a dozen older medical edicts that have been reversed 180 degrees. Sometimes I think one needs to employ good old common sense. I think some of the old wives remedies have merit. They had no money for doctors & learned from old-timers, usually the older women. Many babies were born at home with the mom’s mom in attendance, or a mother in-law.

My two sisters & I were born at home, usually with a doctor that arrived just in time to weigh the newborn baby with traveling scales & sign the birth certificate. Not saying that was always safe, though. I know my mother’s mother-in-law delivered my oldest sister. Then walking, took a switch to the town beer bar & beat her son (my daddy) all the way home to see his newborn. Not only did he get switched, he got a tongue-lashing. He showed up with ringing ears & welts.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I enjoy whole wheat pizza. It can be difficult to find in restaurants, though. I also enjoy a Caesar salad with pizza.  A glass of red wine is of course de rigueur. Lately, Ive been experimenting with de-acoholized wines as I'm wanting to cut down on the real thing. They ain't bad at all. 🍷

Ours was accompanied by a glass of Merlot, lovely.

We discovered nice alcohol free beer while cycling in France some years ago and it has improved since. We keep a small supply handy, but, like the real stuff, it's fattening.

My wife attended an alcohol free wine tasting and discovered a brew she liked, but we've been unable to find it on the supermarket shelves, while those few that we've tried have failed to hit the mark. More testing required....

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Ours was accompanied by a glass of Merlot, lovely.

We discovered nice alcohol free beer while cycling in France some years ago and it has improved since. We keep a small supply handy, but, like the real stuff, it's fattening.

My wife attended an alcohol free wine tasting and discovered a brew she liked, but we've been unable to find it on the supermarket shelves, while those few that we've tried have failed to hit the mark. More testing required....

I've found a couple of de-alcoholized (0.5%) Australian wines along with some local craft beers that I like. I now tend to drink the real thing only in restaurants, etc. Canada has recently overhauled its alcohol consumption guidelines. They aren't without criticism, though.

Edited by John Mitchell

I only buy wine during my college team’s football season. When I get tense, my heart acts up. A glass (maybe another half) of wine calms it. You might say, then don’t watch football.

Yeah, right. As if. That would be like taking one of my greatest pleasures in life away. I’ve lost too many of those already. I’ll risk it.

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

I only buy wine during my college team’s football season. When I get tense, my heart acts up. A glass (maybe another half) of wine calms it. You might say, then don’t watch football.

Yeah, right. As if. That would be like taking one of my greatest pleasures in life away. I’ve lost too many of those already. I’ll risk it.

Yes, it can be argued that wine is a gift from the gods. I've noticed something interesting when drinking the de-alcoholized stuff -- it seems to relax me almost as much as the real thing (and I'm not even a sports fan). It's almost as if the taste of wine sets off a conditioned response and my body says, "Ah, wine...". ☺️

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, it can be argued that wine is a gift from the gods. I've noticed something interesting when drinking the de-alcoholized stuff -- it seems to relax me almost as much as the real thing (and I'm not even a sports fan). It's almost as if the taste of wine sets off a conditioned response and my body says, "Ah, wine...". ☺️

Wine may be a gift from the gods. But alcohol-free wine is their revenge.

Those limits are nuts- your chief medical officer must be great fun at a party. Ours are far higher.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Wine may be a gift from the gods. But alcohol-free wine is their revenge.

Those limits are nuts- your chief medical officer must be great fun at a party. Ours are far higher.

They have been controversial. No riots in the streets yet, though. But, hey, this is easygoing Canada.

P.S. They are only guidelines, not rules -- you can take 'em or leave 'em. Everything has its risks...

On 02/03/2024 at 22:00, John Mitchell said:

They have been controversial. No riots in the streets yet, though. But, hey, this is easygoing Canada.

P.S. They are only guidelines, not rules -- you can take 'em or leave 'em. Everything has its risks...

I suspect that the risks are related to an individual's genetic make up, some folk can perhaps happily sup alcohol and eat processed meat with minimal consequence, while others are better being cautious.  My family history includes a sad litany of cancer deaths, both paternal and maternal, involving the digestive system, so I would be foolish not to be careful.

But this is the good things thread, it's cold but the sun is shining, and this afternoon we are going for a walk around the historic city of Durham with friends.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic