Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

You're quite right about being wary of them damn cranky roos. We saw plenty in the last two days. They were a different species, quite dark. Being on sheep station land, I have the feeling that they might get shot at because they were the shyest roos I've ever seen, taking off from miles ahead.

We're hoping to visit some caves (we're 10km from Cocklebiddy Caves) and will keep a sharp eye for wombats.

That will be interesting to see the caves. I've seen some photos and footage of people doing the underwater cave diving there. It's amazing all that water underneath the desert.

I woke up this morning to see this girl sleeping in the thick of my bamboo, in my backyard.  Once the sun came up, she stood in the sunshine to warm herself up...it is 17F or -8C.

Taken with my iPhone through a window so not so great image quality.  I live not far from a forested creek, so I do see deer from time to time, but not one who spends hours in my backyard!  She did enjoy eating some of the bamboo leaves.

IMG_0760-XL.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I woke up this morning to see this girl sleeping in the thick of my bamboo, in my backyard.  Once the sun came up, she stood in the sunshine to warm herself up...it is 17F or -8C.

Taken with my iPhone through a window so not so great image quality.  I live not far from a forested creek, so I do see deer from time to time, but not one who spends hours in my backyard!  She did enjoy eating some of the bamboo leaves.

IMG_0760-XL.jpg

How gorgeous. There is something beautiful about being visited by wildlife. She must feel at home in the bamboo in your garden to have a sleep there. It’s dawn where I am and I’m eating breakfast while hearing the sound of possums galumphing over my roof.

It just occurred to me, I wonder if the well-fed look is a pregnancy? I’m far from an expert in deer so really don’t know. But wondering if she is looking for a place to give birth? I imagine it is out of season for that. I just read something on deer and apparently they look for a thicket or bit of forest when they are ready to give birth as a place they are safe from predators. Whatever the case, your backyard is obviously a place she feels safe.

Edited by Sally Robertson
  • Love 1

She left my yard a few hours ago.  It is possible that she is pregnant but I think too early for birthing.  She's a white-tailed deer and mating season is in the fall.  I just looked up the gestation period and it is around 205 days, so births are generally in May or June.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

She left my yard a few hours ago.  It is possible that she is pregnant but I think too early for birthing.  She's a white-tailed deer and mating season is in the fall.  I just looked up the gestation period and it is around 205 days, so births are generally in May or June.

Yes, I was just having a read too and read about May-June being the usual time. One article said that the timing of  births are likely to vary with climate change in this century. I was imagining a cute fawn being born in your backyard. It was lovely to have such a visitor.

• Love 1

23 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

IMG_0760-XL.jpg

And….there’s the winter I sent you! How in the world did you manage to post an image taken with a phone???

38 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

And….there’s the winter I sent you! How in the world did you manage to post an image taken with a phone???

It is not on Alamy Betty.

Allan

Betty, your winter weather package 📦 is just too much, very kind of you but we just got another four inches of fresh snow over night.  My daughter just called, from her night shift at the hospital, wanting me to get her.  Her car is front wheel drive and I have a small SUV.  Our snow plowing services are not as great as they are in north and Midwest.

Micheal, I don't remember it ever snowing when I lived in DC. 

We lived on Woodley Road across from the Taiwan residence down from the Washington Cathedral. My father told me when Madame Chiang stayed at the White House she insisted on silk sheets that had to be changed three times a day. The Madame lived to be 105. Could it have been the silk sheets?

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

We lived on Woodley Road across from the Taiwan residence down from the Washington Cathedral. My father told me when Madame Chiang stayed at the White House she insisted on silk sheets that had to be changed three times a day. The Madame lived to be 105. Could it have been the silk sheets?

Oh sure, it used to snow every year here and winters were colder.  I would love to have someone change my sheets every day (3 times a day is a bit much).  It is hard enough to get the kids to help with chores.  My son does shovel the walkway but only when he is good and ready.  Luckily, I didn't have to go get my daughter this morning, she got a ride with someone with a truck and she left her car in a covered parking garage, at the hospital, and will get it later this weekend.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I lived in Annandale, a DC suburb, and this happened in February 2010.  By the end of July, I moved to Nicaragua.

2HF3699.jpg

27 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I lived in Annandale, a DC suburb, and this happened in February 2010.  By the end of July, I moved to Nicaragua.

2HF3699.jpg

WOW! Were you living in the tiny house behind the tree?

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

WOW! Were you living in the tiny house behind the tree?

Allan

I lived in an accessory house that started life as a workshop with an attic. Side view of that in March, day after, I think, another snow.     Now I live where the last snow was in 1912 and only at higher elevations.   Nicaraguans talk about freezing temperatures very metaphorically.  Historic low here was 47-48 F.  

2R9K2PN.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

🙂 That would be hard to forget, Rebecca.

Snowmageddon and Snowpocalypse!

No I wasn't there. But I still remember the Obama kids, who were from Chicago, laughing their heads off when DC schools declared a Snow Day (=schools closing) because of an inch of snow.

wim

6 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Snowmageddon and Snowpocalypse!

No I wasn't there. But I still remember the Obama kids, who were from Chicago, laughing their heads off when DC schools declared a Snow Day (=schools closing) because of an inch of snow.

wim

Yeah.   I showed my DC photos to a Nicaraguan friend and he said it looked like refrigerator frost.   The worst weather here has been unnamed tropical storms and one hail storm when I was living in my current house.   Even mild earthquake shocks are rare here, not enough to damage my rosewood fish tank stand, though its maker showed up the next day to check it.

When I lived in Albany, NY, my mom wrote about how three and four inches of snow within a day of each snow shut down Charlotte for days.   Albany had 18 inches of powder in April and the roads were cleared  by 10 a.m.   I cross country skied to classes in SUNYA at least once.  No photos.  Some poems. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Bump!

I'm starting to remember winter in different parts of the States. 

I loved snow when I was a kid.   Now I know where snow is both north (Orizaba, other volcanos surrounding Mexico City, highest part of Guatemala but only occasionally) and south of me (the Andes in various countries).  Haven't been on the ground with it yet, but saw some snowy peaks from a distance in Mexico (or flying over it).

San Francisco had a snowfall when I lived there.   One of my housemates and I drove over to Bolinas.  The snow was definitely deeper on Mt. Tamalpais, and the road was lined with people throwing snowballs at passing cars.   Something like 80 years between that snow and an earlier one.  Two young hitchhikers had never seen snow before.   Maybe up to 3 inches in the city and five to six out in the hills.

Memory lane with snow.

About 2013 or 2014, when I was visiting my daughter outside DC, it snowed so much in March that my flight back to Florida was cancelled. It was also cherry blossom time and there might have been a government shutdown at that time, too. Either that or I’ve just lumped all the events together in my mind. 

• Alamy locked this topic