Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Our trip to Purnululu (or Bungle Bungles) in Western Australia was out of this world. We were lucky that the 'road' had just been graded and wasn't too rocky. Creeks were numerous but low. Visitors were non existant. 

We did several hikes to local geological highlights and stayed up to watch the night sky. We're still under the spell.

Here's how my beloved hubby's described it:

"We let the tyres down, bubble-wrapped plates and dishes, and up we went to Purnululu (WA). The notorious 53km dirt and shockie busting road in is a panoramic delight, freshly graded, just like a baby's bottom with just a couple of pimple corrugations and all creeks passable for our bus. No crowding in the campground, just us by the dry creekbed.

Next day is a dawn start to see the beehive strata and their carpets of spinifex bathed in golden light. Not a whisper of wind. The silence is punctuated with the crystal fluting calls of a butcherbird. Such an aura to this place."

Some photos here, social media quality, not Alamy's.

• Love 4

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Our trip to Purnululu (or Bungle Bungles) in Western Australia was out of this world. We were lucky that the 'road' had just been graded and wasn't too rocky. Creeks were numerous but low. Visitors were non existant. 

We did several hikes to local geological highlights and stayed up to watch the night sky. We're still under the spell.

Here's how my beloved hubby's described it:

"We let the tyres down, bubble-wrapped plates and dishes, and up we went to Purnululu (WA). The notorious 53km dirt and shockie busting road in is a panoramic delight, freshly graded, just like a baby's bottom with just a couple of pimple corrugations and all creeks passable for our bus. No crowding in the campground, just us by the dry creekbed.

Next day is a dawn start to see the beehive strata and their carpets of spinifex bathed in golden light. Not a whisper of wind. The silence is punctuated with the crystal fluting calls of a butcherbird. Such an aura to this place."

Some photos here, social media quality, not Alamy's.

Sounds wonderful, looks even better!

• Love 1

This might not be to everyone's taste, but a very Good Thing in my view. Vaughan Williams is to be composer of the week on Radio 3 starting Monday. I'll probably listen using BBC sounds at a time convenient to me rather than catch the live broadcasts. Many years ago we heard a performance of his Tallis Fantasia and Sea Symphony in Lincoln cathedral, probably the most memorable concert I have ever attended. 

• Like 1

Back from Yorkshire last night. Getting ready to visit my daughter's family in Bristol. Will be celebrating my daughters and grandson's combined birthday's that are a few days apart. Other good news the foxes are back at the bottom of their garden with cubs. Amongst other kit making sure I take a crop sensor body and 70-300 so I can fill the frame when photographing them. Will take a treat for the foxes, some cat food our cat has gone off and some peanut butter. Must borrow a small hide another year. Then I'll be out Sunday early before 6am to shoot some events, then back home late evening, it's been a busy week.

Edited by sb photos

Received money £££ from my district council today totally unexpected.  I can only assume it is something to do with the governments gift of funds to help us to pay for utility bills.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Received money £££ from my district council today totally unexpected.  I can only assume it is something to do with the governments gift of funds to help us to pay for utility bills.

Allan

Was that the £150.00? Nothing here yet other than 2 pension payments.

7 hours ago, sb photos said:

Was that the £150.00? Nothing here yet other than 2 pension payments.

Yes £150. 

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

5 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

You beat me too it I was going to say the same / probably a rebate of council tax. I’m miffed as we don’t qualify 😢

Carol 

Are you ancient?   If so you will receive it in due course.   If not be thankful.😃 

Allan

We have a robin nesting in our courtyard garden! It is in the favorite place for robin nests....above a light fixture. Not the best situation for images but I do have some of a previous brood ...https://www.alamy.com/lightbox/details.aspx?lbId=09622062-afb4-4d33-bcad-93d53eb6c14e

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Are you ancient?   If so you will receive it in due course.   If not be thankful.😃 

Allan

I'm 'ancient' so eventually should receive the payment. Everything helps.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I don't consider myself ancient😁 in this case it depends on which band your Council Tax is in, those in bands A - D get £150 refund, those in E and after get zero🙃 but you are no doubt aware of that😄

Carol

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sb photos said:

I'm 'ancient' so eventually should receive the payment. Everything helps.

Sorry that bit was meant for Carol. Got into your reply by mistake.

Allan

15 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I don't consider myself ancient😁 in this case it depends on which band your Council Tax is in, those in bands A - D get £150 refund, those in E and after get zero🙃 but you are no doubt aware of that😄

Carol

Yes I'm in "D" band.

Allan

Today after a gap of a couple of years I took Gertie Bicycle out for a ride and I didn't fall off. Also our local fox has turned up again and she also had a good thing happen in her life this afternoon. A nice piece of chicken for her evening meal.

• Love 1

Our eldest grandson has elected to take art as one of his GCSE subjects and the syllabus includes photography.

I therefore warped out a Canon 450D that has been gathering dust, checked to see it it still worked, and gave him that along with the only Canon fit lens that I have that I don't use, a Sigma 10-20 designed for the crop sensor.   His dad promised to add a more suitable lens.  The 450D is now old technology but it should enable him to learn the basics of digital photography.  I presume that they will be discussing choice of focal length, aperture, shutter speed and ISO setting etc.  

Not sure that it is a good idea to contemplate a career in photography these days, but I've enjoyed the hobby over many years and hopefully he will too.

• Love 3

Accidentally uploaded some archive to /stock just now instead of /archive_stock and being a 5-star general I've got away with it:D 

I really don't abuse the system, officer.

Going through the family photographs I found some 30s and 40s images of weddings of friends of the family, and a couple of jazz bands. I wouldn't put up images of family members, but friends are fair game I think. See uploads thread.

• Like 1

I went to the dermatologist today fearing I might have skin cancer. Turns out it is eczema. So sort of bad good news. I'm happy anyway.

Paulette

• Love 2

55 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I went to the dermatologist today fearing I might have skin cancer. Turns out it is eczema. So sort of bad good news. I'm happy anyway.

Paulette

I have an appointment with a dermatologist next week.  I would be happy with your diagnosis! Anything that is pretty treatable is better than cancer!!

On a medical note also…I’ve been getting dry needling from my physical therapist. She’s worked on the injured muscle in my leg, and it feels much better. Not healed, but better.

I have had spasms in the big muscle that runs beside my spine, left side, running down toward my hip. She needled the back muscle today, but didn’t get the response she was looking for. She puts the needle in, then attaches something electrical to it. If the needle is in the right place, there is a jumping, felt as a thumping in the muscle. She moved lower, closer to my gluts and wow, the muscle jumped in response which shows the needles were where they needed to be. So far, my back isn’t hurting. I’ll probably have several more sessions in that area because it takes multiple treatments for the muscles to respond and reset.

As a catch-up to how I’m doing…I mostly walk without aid. But it’s like to stand up straight I am pushing against resistance. Like something is pushing me to lean forward, and I have to work against that force. I don’t know if it’s the stiff rods in my back or what. I try hard, but as the day wears on the muscles in my back get tired and refuse to hold me straight. I can’t exercise these back muscles because it will take a full year for the fusion to take place, and I’m not supposed to do anything that could loosen the screws or mess up the donor bone.

It may just be that over time, my back will get stronger as I’m able to do more. 
All of that said, I’m way advanced to where I was 3 months ago. I’m almost 4 months post op.

• Love 2

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

On a medical note also…I’ve been getting dry needling from my physical therapist. She’s worked on the injured muscle in my leg, and it feels much better. Not healed, but better.

I have had spasms in the big muscle that runs beside my spine, left side, running down toward my hip. She needled the back muscle today, but didn’t get the response she was looking for. She puts the needle in, then attaches something electrical to it. If the needle is in the right place, there is a jumping, felt as a thumping in the muscle. She moved lower, closer to my gluts and wow, the muscle jumped in response which shows the needles were where they needed to be. So far, my back isn’t hurting. I’ll probably have several more sessions in that area because it takes multiple treatments for the muscles to respond and reset.

As a catch-up to how I’m doing…I mostly walk without aid. But it’s like to stand up straight I am pushing against resistance. Like something is pushing me to lean forward, and I have to work against that force. I don’t know if it’s the stiff rods in my back or what. I try hard, but as the day wears on the muscles in my back get tired and refuse to hold me straight. I can’t exercise these back muscles because it will take a full year for the fusion to take place, and I’m not supposed to do anything that could loosen the screws or mess up the donor bone.

It may just be that over time, my back will get stronger as I’m able to do more. 
All of that said, I’m way advanced to where I was 3 months ago. I’m almost 4 months post op.

Very good news on the back front.

Allan

• Love 1

I made a delicious potato soup yesterday. All of my life I have used regular milk in my potato soup. It was always good. But yesterday, I had some heavy cream and some half & half in my refrigerator, and I used a combination of the two. What a difference it made. It took the soup from very good to fantastic.

Just ask my hips.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I made a delicious potato soup yesterday. All of my life I have used regular milk in my potato soup. It was always good. But yesterday, I had some heavy cream and some half & half in my refrigerator, and I used a combination of the two. What a difference it made. It took the soup from very good to fantastic.

Just ask my hips.

Oh yum. The health food store near me carries milk that is not homogenized. What a treat it is!

Paulette

• Love 1