2020 February Favourite Uploads

meanderingemu

Some older shots just uploaded, Nicaraguan:

Credomatic sign in a hotel in Nicargua.  Credomatic is owned by the Pellas family, which also sells beer and rum and automobiles in Nicaragua. Stock Photo

This was a large house turned into a small hotel and now for sale as house or possible small hotel.   This is the bar with a Credomatic sign, the credit card billing company owned by one of the richer families in Nicaragua, the Pellas family.

Details of an upper middle class house in Jinotega, Nicaragua, that was briefly used as a hotel. Stock Photo

View of two upstairs rooms through a semi-round doorway in a house that had for a while been a small hotel

Detail of  a stone sculpture of a man wearing a jaguar helmet, from Ometepe Island. Stock Photo

Eroded sculpture of a man wearing a jaguar helmet  in the Altagracia cathedral grounds, Ometepe Island, Nicaragua. 

Edited by MizBrown
  • Love 3

Yippie! My upload of 73 images went straight for sale. I do have quite a few favourites (hey I worked hard for it!), so I hope it's OK to post a mini-series.

A Black-breasted Buzzard (Hamirostra melanosternon) demonstrating the use of a stone as a tool to crack open a fake emu egg (which are blue) during a bird display in Australia

2AYK13C.jpg

2AYK15Y.jpg

Australian Bustard (Ardeotis australis) displaying

2AYK0MG.jpg

Dingo yawning

2AYK18M.jpg

Red Watlebird (Anthochaera carunculata) and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater (Acanthagenys rufogularis)

2AYK191.jpg

A Mallee Ringneck (Barnardius barnardi) coming in to land

2AYK1A1.jpg

Happy Valentines!

2AYK19E.jpg

A Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater (Acanthagenys rufogularis) and a Masked Woodswallow (Artamus personatus) squabbling

2AYK1A9.jpg

Red Watlebird (Anthochaera carunculata)

2AYK193.jpg

Barn Owl

2AYK164.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 6
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 1

Famous Tokyo Skytree, world tallest tower.   Image snapped just last week.

outside-vertical-panoramic-view-of-famou

Had 23hr layover in Haneda Intl. Airport & decided to go sightseeing.  After 2 months in ultra polluted SE Asia, Tokyo was breath of fresh air!  I could not believe -- streets clean like pharmacy.   Everyone wearing masks too as corona fears have spread everywhere -- I was probably 1 out of 100 on average not wearing it.

Image is vertical stitch of 4 frames.  They told me on clear day you can see Mt. Fuji from the tower, but not on this day so I passed & went exploring some nearby pagodas.  It is quite pricey too to get up -- ~30 USD!  But it will definitely be on my list when I return to Japan for fabled cherry blossom season in April.

• Love 4

1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

Famous Tokyo Skytree, world tallest tower.   Image snapped just last week.

outside-vertical-panoramic-view-of-famou

Had 23hr layover in Haneda Intl. Airport & decided to go sightseeing.  After 2 months in ultra polluted SE Asia, Tokyo was breath of fresh air!  I could not believe -- streets clean like pharmacy.   Everyone wearing masks too as corona fears have spread everywhere -- I was probably 1 out of 100 on average not wearing it.

Image is vertical stitch of 4 frames.  They told me on clear day you can see Mt. Fuji from the tower, but not on this day so I passed & went exploring some nearby pagodas.  It is quite pricey too to get up -- ~30 USD!  But it will definitely be on my list when I return to Japan for fabled cherry blossom season in April.

Very nice. How do you do your stitching?

Japan has a reputation for being pricey. A friend of mine joined the throngs climbing Mount Fuji a couple of years ago. That might be a cheaper alternative.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Very nice. How do you do your stitching?

Japan has a reputation for being pricey. A friend of mine joined the throngs climbing Mount Fuji a couple of years ago. That might be a cheaper alternative.

Thank you John!  Yes, Japan is very pricey.  But it's well worth visiting.  I was just passing by (Bangkok -- Vancouver flight with long layover in Tokyo), so I hopped on train for city tour.  Lots to photograph, from architecture to people.  Extended visit to Japan, incl.  Mt. Fuji, is on my bucket list. 

Stitching depends on camera I am using.  If little Sony Rx, then it's in-camera automatic.   If SLR (Skytree shot), then Photoshop

I was advised to avoid photographing children's faces (:shrug) so long shutter speed to blur them - I quite liked the effect.

Rochdale.

Catch Dippy on Tour here...https://www.nhm.ac.uk/take-part/dippy-on-tour.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs67yBRC7ARIsAF49CdX59gf5d9zuFHSiWTHvdZgIBQ0oHt0erZbFoGTGvREaDNldmSd6VDoaArekEALw_wcB

2AYXG6F.jpgI

• Love 3

Old Nepalese Woman with wrinkled face counting money she got from begging tourists at Boudhanath Stupa in Kathmandu:

poor-old-nepalese-woman-with-red-clothin

Image uploaded exclusively to Alamy;  even if it never sells, I deemed it too good to give away for pennies on micros

https://www.alamy.com/poor-old-nepalese-woman-with-red-clothing-and-wrinkled-face-sitting-and-begging-by-buddhist-praying-wheel-at-boudhanath-stupa-in-kathmandu-nepal-image344015296.htm

• Love 2

A green sea turtle crawling up a boat ramp with a view of the Mauna Lani Resort by Auberge on the Kohala Coast of Big Island of Hawaii
a-green-sea-turtle-crawling-up-a-boat-ra

A juvenile green sea turtle at the Kohala Coast near Puako on The Big Island of Hawaii 
a-juvenile-green-sea-turtle-at-the-kohal

A bottlenose dolphin at Waikoloa off of the Kohala Coast on The Big Island of Hawaii

a-bottlenose-dolphin-at-waikoloa-off-of-

Edited by Lisa
  • Love 3

A batch of this subject went straight to QC and I was a little worried about passing, but I had written a note at the end of the description.

Intempo high rise residential property. Sun rays reflecting off golden glazed tower block through mist. noise in image due to mist. 2AYY25D

intempo-high-rise-residential-property-sun-rays-reflecting-off-golden-glazed-tower-block-through-mist-noise-in-image-due-to-mist-2AYY25D.jpg

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

Matt, its called work in process as long as they return. I'm Intrigued why there is a 6mm twin & earth cable coming down the wall above the toilet🧐

My mother-in-law lives in a block of self-contained flats owned by a housing association for people over a certain age... every flat in the block is having a new bathroom... so they will be back! 🙂

There used to be an electric shaver socket on the wall.. I assume they are planning to remove this cable entirely.

Edited by Matt Ashmore

Wat Pho, also known as Temple of the Reclining Buddha, in Bangkok Thailand by Night

spires-of-wat-pho-or-wat-phra-chetuphon-

Interesting detail: Complex closes at 6pm, and it was still not dark.  So night long exposure shots were not possible.  But to my surprise I found the gate open (with nobody inside -- this is normally swarming with tourists!).   What happened?  King sister was coming for a visit;  so they left the gate open past closing.  I asked if I could quickly take some shots, and they let me.    Was running around with tripod like crazy chicken for 15-20 min before guard told me "Ok she is coming now, get out".   As soon as I did, there was limousine with row of security cars in front and behind on main street in front of complex, with rest of traffic blocked.   Sometimes you just have to be lucky I guess

• Love 1

FEAR Stock Photo

An old montage illustrating fear.

Expensive jewelry used as bait on large hook Stock Photo

Back in the film days, all done in camera on 6x7 cm roll film on a 4x5 shot for my portfolio at the time I was working in a commercial studio (early 1990's)

Photoshop montage illustrating a mind reading robot Stock Photo

Done on Photoshop 4.0! Brave new world of digital 😂

Edited by dlmphotog
formating
  • Love 1