November 2019 Favourite uploads

gvallee

On 16/11/2019 at 18:32, Betty LaRue said:

Those are beautiful images.  Your story reminded me of an all-woman fishing trip I took to the boundary waters in Minnesota.

Betty, Thank you for the kind words about my images, Boundary Waters is one of the places I would love to explore as I've have been told its extremely beautiful.. Though I have heard it can get buggy at certain times of the year just like Alaska. It's nice to be somewhere with no cell service just good friends and fun adventures. The fear of surprising a brown bear on the overgrown trails adds to the excitement!

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Nice shot. I'm not sure that I've ever managed to license an image with an aquabus in it. But hope springs...

Thanks. I've never sold one either, but I do see an occasional search for one.  It's a great way to do some sightseeing here in Vancouver.

53 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

Thanks. I've never sold one either, but I do see an occasional search for one.  It's a great way to do some sightseeing here in Vancouver.

Yes, they come up in searches quite often. Making your image seasonal (autumn) was a good idea. Best of luck!

• Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 14:15, Ed Rooney said:

That's beautiful, Bill. I don't envy you that hard, Canadian winter though. I bought me a 13.5 tog duvet in case any of that weather comes across the Irish Sea. 

What is a 13.5 tog?  Is that the weight or the warmth of the duvet, which I assume is like a comforter in the U.S.? I kept trying to ignore this post because I didn’t understand it, but it’s like a burr under my saddle and I keep puzzling over it. 😁 I must know the answer! Inquiring minds, and all that!

Betty

4 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

I licensed a few aquabus shots but never on Alamy.  Used to live directly above Granville Island & would take aquabus when I was too lazy to walk across Burrard bridge over to downtown.

I've had a few sales of Granville Island images on Alamy, all of them predictable subjects.

On 07/11/2019 at 22:57, gvallee said:

I scrolled and scrolled but couldn't find a thread for November, so I'll kick off.

I have no idea if it will sell, but I love this portrait too much to leave it on my hard drive.

The person is an old opal miner taken a few days ago in the opal fields near Lightning Ridge in Queensland, Australia.

Obviously we can't tell from this B&W portrait, but he had amazing liquid blue eyes, matching the stripes on his shirt.

Very daring and most unusual of me, I nervously asked him if I could take his portrait. He obliged, the lovely man. 

2A86XPA.jpg

Wow, that's a remarkable face. You can still see the young man full of dreams hiding inside the old one.

• Love 2

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ah! Never heard of tog other than in relation to clothes, and even then, that word seems to be out of use. Thanks.  So Ed’s is quite warm, then.

Tog ratings are also used for sleeping bags. Another common use, nothing to do with insulation, is an abbreviation for photographer.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

What is a 13.5 tog?  Is that the weight or the warmth of the duvet, which I assume is like a comforter in the U.S.? I kept trying to ignore this post because I didn’t understand it, but it’s like a burr under my saddle and I keep puzzling over it. 😁 I must know the answer! Inquiring minds, and all that!

Betty

Here you go, Betty:

https://www.sleepypeople.com/duvet-buying-guide/which-tog-rating-for-which-season.html

And no, a duvet is not a comforter: 

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Comforter_vs_Duvet

Most duvets used to be filled with goose down but I bought a synthetic, breathable, non-allergic one at John Lewis department store. It's cosy and warm. 

I understand the difference, now. But the information says a duvet is usually the size of the bed. Fine for you, or any single sleeper. But a couple sleeping on their sides could have a backside uncovered. I like plenty of lapover for my guests, so I have blankets and quilts/comforters that allow two people to be well-covered, no matter their sleep positions, including those at the edge of the bed.

I slept under a duvet with a duvet cover at a friend’s house and wasn’t impressed. During the night, the duvet bunched down inside the cover, making the whole thing lumpy when I made the bed. I didn’t know what to do with it. I started to unzip the cover to straighten the duvet, but the zipper stuck. Maybe it was my inexperience with it. I remember thinking how much simpler, easier a comforter is.

Different strokes, I guess.

Betty

10 hours ago, sb photos said:

Tog ratings are also used for sleeping bags. Another common use, nothing to do with insulation, is an abbreviation for photographer.

True. In the past, I’ve seen so many people who mentioned they don’t like the term “togs” used for photographers, though! 😊

These couple of images were taken just last week & uploaded to Alamy over the weekend.   I seriously doubt they will ever sell (just not the "right thing"), but I am putting them up as little Sony Rx100 showcase.   I go for my afternoon walks & would never lug heavy Canon SLR, but Sony is so handy - just put it in the pocket and go.  Then you end up seeing something & you are glad you had camera on you!

snowcapped-grotto-mountain-peak-landscap

railway-line-and-distant-mountain-peaks-

snowy-walking-footpath-by-wooden-alpine-

It is still a small sensor, and it shows, but it is acceptable & would be downright shame to miss such a great sky.   All images were taken using in-camera HDR feature I find quite useful (although you have to be sure you hold camera very steady if you don't have a tripod on you).

• Love 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

These couple of images were taken just last week & uploaded to Alamy over the weekend.   I seriously doubt they will ever sell (just not the "right thing"), but I am putting them up as little Sony Rx100 showcase.   I go for my afternoon walks & would never lug heavy Canon SLR, but Sony is so handy - just put it in the pocket and go.  Then you end up seeing something & you are glad you had camera on you!

It is still a small sensor, and it shows, but it is acceptable & would be downright shame to miss such a great sky.   All images were taken using in-camera HDR feature I find quite useful (although you have to be sure you hold camera very steady if you don't have a tripod on you).

Beautiful images and what a wonderful place to go for an afternoon walk.   I've never use the HDR feature in my rx100, must give it a try.

1 hour ago, MariaJ said:

Beautiful images and what a wonderful place to go for an afternoon walk.   I've never use the HDR feature in my rx100, must give it a try.

HDR saves it as JPG so overall quality is not as good as ARW.   But it is useful when there is considerable exposure difference across the frame.  It is also quite handy.   Set quality to "Extra Fine" and try;  just remember to hold camera very steady as it takes 3 shots and there will be characteristic displacement along the edges if camera moves in between because of hand shake.

We've had lousy weather of late, but on Monday the sun shone and we went for a walk. Chanced upon a young seal stranded after high tide on a beach crowded with folk exercising dogs. Fortunately help was at hand in the form of a Marine Mammal Medic who shepherded the seal back down to the sea.

a-marine-mammal-medic-shepherds-a-strand

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

A bit off-subject, Bryan -- but how is your shoulder doing?

Edo

Thanks for the thought Edo, fully recovered !  Went from being very painful indeed to completely healed in about 3 days.

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Thanks for the thought Edo, fully recovered !  Went from being very painful indeed to completely healed in about 3 days.

You found a miracle healer then?

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

You found a miracle healer then?

Allan

No miracle, just time. 

I remember once as a student I woke up with a painfully stiff neck on the day I was due to hitch hike home. I was unable to turn my head to look at the vehicles approaching and must have appeared most peculiar to those passing. Got home Ok, seem to recall going over Shap, before the northern section of the M6 was built,  in an incredibly noisy Newcastle breweries lorry. The driver had to ease off the power to enable any conversation. Neck fine the following day.

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

No miracle, just time. 

I remember once as a student I woke up with a painfully stiff neck on the day I was due to hitch hike home. I was unable to turn my head to look at the vehicles approaching and must have appeared most peculiar to those passing. Got home Ok, seem to recall going over Shap, before the northern section of the M6 was built,  in an incredibly noisy Newcastle breweries lorry. The driver had to ease off the power to enable any conversation. Neck fine the following day.

Probably jolted free in the rattly old lorry.😀

Allan