Updates Explained! - Photoshop 2020

Some great stuff there!

Has anyone on here updated yet?

Any bugs/issues found?

I'm reluctant to update for a day or two as I've got a bit of editing to do and don't want to risk any unwanted/unforeseen issues...😉

Phil

Just now, Phil Crean said:

Some great stuff there!

Has anyone on here updated yet?

Any bugs/issues found?

I'm reluctant to update for a day or two as I've got a bit of editing to do and don't want to risk any unwanted/unforeseen issues...😉

Phil

I updated last night and have no issues (that I know of). There is an option to keep the older software in any case. I have had a quick look at the object selection tool and it looks interesting. Not had time to have a detailed look yet. Lightroom uses a new catalog structure so has to convert the older catalog. I have had no issues doing this - I made a backup of the older catalog files (.lrcat) before proceeding.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, MDM said:

I updated last night and have no issues (that I know of). There is an option to keep the older software in any case. I have had a quick look at the object selection tool and it looks interesting. Not had time to have a detailed look yet. Lightroom uses a new catalog structure so has to convert the older catalog. I have had no issues doing this - I made a backup of the older catalog files (.lrcat) before proceeding.

Thanks MDM 

I'll probably do it later today after I've finished my edits and done some backups...😁

Phil

Quite a few improvements:

The selection output, although a little easier to get there, still needs the refine edge for anything other than the smoothest of edges, so it's not earth-shattering in that regard. I still prefer a bit more control than the auto feature the video concentrates on.

However, the enhanced "converting smart objects to layers function really is brilliant.

Rotating brush tips is very cool, as is "close others" . . .

The new flexibility of adjustment layers in conjunction with one-click pre-sets is impressive.

The new power in 'warp' is impressive too, and the more powerful content-aware 'repair' function . . . if they're your things so to speak ;)

I guess for future-proofing and accessing your images from any computer, and certainly for online collaboration (said feature pending at the moment), the save-to-cloud function could be a real game-changer for many.

I don't think folk with older versions of PS should worry too much, unless they do use layers and smart objects a lot or have a need for saving-to-cloud.

Having said that, I'm impressed :)

DD

Edited by dustydingo
changed "shouldn't" to "should"

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Why do all these Youtube experts talk so quickly?

Funny you should ask. Being raised in Oklahoma with somewhat of a drawl, New Yorkers speak so fast they leave my brain in the dust. I’m still soaking in word one and two when they’re on word ten. 
Paulette and I would probably have a communication problem. 😊

Betty

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Funny you should ask. Being raised in Oklahoma with somewhat of a drawl, New Yorkers speak so fast they leave my brain in the dust. I’m still soaking in word one and two when they’re on word ten. 

Betty

In YouTube, go to settings (bottom right) then check the playback speed to .75

You're welcome 😉

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

No, we're OK. I'm still talking like a Californian.

Paulette

1 hour ago, Martin Carlsson said:

You can change playback speed. Click the "cog" symbol (settings), then change "Playback Speed" to your liking.

That is certainly an experience.  

Still not sure why 'normal' Youtube explainer talking speed has to be 200mph. And for me the movements between the tools is too quick - it is all too speeded up for my slow brain.

Just a comment. Not a complaint. My problem.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

For something a bit more mellow try Adobe's very own Juleanne Kost . There is a mass of material both video and written at the above link, including info about the recent Photoshop and Lightroom updates.

She has loads of really excellent bite-sized video tutorials, explains things really well at a sensible pace and a pleasant speaking voice thrown in. In fact her voice could become a little soporific, especially if you haven't had enough sleep like me right now zzzzzz

2 hours ago, MDM said:

For something a bit more mellow try Adobe's very own Juleanne Kost . There is a mass of material both video and written at the above link, including info about the recent Photoshop and Lightroom updates

+1 for Julieanne!

She can be really funny too: here she's introducing herself at the Adobe Max 2018.

wim

On 07/11/2019 at 23:35, geogphotos said:

That is certainly an experience.  

Still not sure why 'normal' Youtube explainer talking speed has to be 200mph. And for me the movements between the tools is too quick - it is all too speeded up for my slow brain.

Just a comment. Not a complaint. My problem.

Agree, Ian. The speed speaker’s words just slide over the surface of my brain instead of wiggling down into all those crevices. :blink:

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry    she    is    speaking    too    fast    for    me.

Allan

Have you tried Martin's advice?

You can change playback speed. Click the "cog" symbol (settings), then change "Playback Speed" to your liking.

Try setting it from normal to 0.75.

I didn't know it could be done either and it really works.

wim

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Have you tried Martin's advice?

Try setting it from normal to 0.75.

I didn't know it could be done either and it really works.

wim

Hi wim, I was joking. Just a very little one. I will have a look at it using the slow-down technique mentioned though.

When     I     get     a     bit     more     time.😀

Allan