Photography Meet Up in London- August 2019

Lisa

Is anyone interested in meeting in London sometime in August? If so, where is a good place to meet? 

Update: London Meetup will be on Saturday, August 10, 12 noon at the entrance of Festival Pier near Royal Festival Hall.

Edited by Lisa
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Lisa said:

Is anyone interested in meeting in London sometime in August? If so, where is a good place to meet? 

Interested . I presume something in Zone 1 should work as location.

Royal Festival Hall at Waterloo has large areas suitable for meetups. They include chairs/couches & tables. You can bring food/drink to eat or buy it there and stay as long as you like. Just would need someone checking the area before time and then texting exact location to attendees. I used to hold meetups there. Pleasant environment.

10 hours ago, Lisa said:

How about meeting at Neal’s Yard near Covent Garden? I’ve never been there. Open to any and all suggestions. 

I like Neal's Yard but that is a general area and I think somewhere inside would be best.

How about on Saturday August 17 at noon, meet at the entrance to Festival Pier? It looks like there is a yellow ramp on Google maps that could provide shade and rain protection while we wait for the group to arrive. Then we could wander over to Royal Festival Hall together? Or do we have any better ideas???

6 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I take it you want to do some site seeing 😉😁

Originally I envisioned a small group meeting at a place like St. Paul’s, as an example. We’d tap into each other’s creativity and interests, and photograph St. Paul’s reflecting in a rain puddle, or a water fountain, or even a beer mug, or reflecting on a modern glass building wall, or a parked taxi’s rear view mirror, or framed through a red bus upper window, or framed through a doorway, etc. Then we’d take some architecture shots like a stairwell, inside of the dome, macros, leading lines, repeating patterns,  etc. I have never been to Saint Paul’s, so no idea what to expect. Or is there a popular annual event every August in London that we could meet at? A news event that would sell later as stock?  I need some locals to help with suggestions.

Quick poll, do the folks who want to meet in London want to sit inside and chat, or actually take photos? Any other thoughts?

Yes... if I'm in London then. My favourite area for photography (and good vegan food!) is South Bank. Camden Lock is good too.

Alan

Edited by Inchiquin

When you all have the time, date, place and activity settled I may come along too. If you do not mind another Cambridge interloper.

I do not know London very well but should be able to find you. Course I could link up with Kumar for the trip.

I should be fully fit by mid August.

Allan

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 15:03, Lisa said:

Originally I envisioned a small group meeting at a place like St. Paul’s, as an example. We’d tap into each other’s creativity and interests, and photograph St. Paul’s reflecting in a rain puddle, or a water fountain, or even a beer mug, or reflecting on a modern glass building wall, or a parked taxi’s rear view mirror, or framed through a red bus upper window, or framed through a doorway, etc. Then we’d take some architecture shots like a stairwell, inside of the dome, macros, leading lines, repeating patterns,  etc. I have never been to Saint Paul’s, so no idea what to expect. Or is there a popular annual event every August in London that we could meet at? A news event that would sell later as stock?  I need some locals to help with suggestions.

Quick poll, do the folks who want to meet in London want to sit inside and chat, or actually take photos? Any other thoughts?

It may astound many of you that admission to St Paul's is now £20. I don't expect to see inside it again unless at some event.

Edited by spacecadet

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It may astound many of you that admission to St Paul's is now £20. I don't expect to see inside it again unless at some event.

And I think Westminster Abbey is now £22 . 😧

Kumar

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

3 hours ago, Doc said:

And I think Westminster Abbey is now £22 . 😧

That is to help pay for all the photos you are stealing from their official photographers.🤣

Allan

• Love 2

On 29/06/2019 at 15:03, Lisa said:

Originally I envisioned a small group meeting at a place like St. Paul’s, as an example. We’d tap into each other’s creativity and interests, and photograph St. Paul’s reflecting in a rain puddle, or a water fountain, or even a beer mug, or reflecting on a modern glass building wall, or a parked taxi’s rear view mirror, or framed through a red bus upper window, or framed through a doorway, etc. Then we’d take some architecture shots like a stairwell, inside of the dome, macros, leading lines, repeating patterns,  etc.

Not so much tapping into each other's creativity as lending one another photography magazines so we can 'master' architectural photography by reading an article. Excellent!

On 26/06/2019 at 17:17, Lisa said:

City of London around Lloyds building/ Gherkin and also there’s a free rooftop garden at 120 Fenchurch (not to be confused with the skygarden at 20 Fenchurch which is also free but you have to book.). City good for old and new buildings, skyscrapers, leadenhall market. Tends to be quiet at weekends as the workers arent there. 

On 03/07/2019 at 19:21, British Gent said:

Not so much tapping into each other's creativity as lending one another photography magazines so we can 'master' architectural photography by reading an article. Excellent!

For our Cambridge meetups, we have never done any photography together - just talked about it and much more besides. More about building friendships than anything else. I am not one for photographing in groups but am very happy to share expertise. 

14 hours ago, MDM said:

For our Cambridge meetups, we have never done any photography together - just talked about it and much more besides. More about building friendships than anything else. I am not one for photographing in groups but am very happy to share expertise. 

I'm more in tune with your thoughts re a contributor meet up MDM, and my first though when I saw Lisa's original post it would have been similar to Cambridge's and others. Just wondering if there was interest in a meet in a pub and a chat re the stock business etc over a pint or a coffee prior to Lisa's meet at 12:00? There should be time for both.

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

I'm more in tune with your thoughts re a contributor meet up MDM, and my first though when I saw Lisa's original post it would have been similar to Cambridge's and others. Just wondering if there was interest in a meet in a pub and a chat re the stock business etc over a pint or a coffee prior to Lisa's meet at 12:00? There should be time for both.

Sounds good and I'm in.

Edited by Gnans