Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Marb

23 uncleared sales and counting

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Is having 23 uncleared sales at Alamy normal since January ? I was shocked to see this having just looked now. Its bad enough that sale amounts have drastically reduced but to have so many sales uncleared is disappointing.

 

And on another note, what happened to the forum link at the bottom of the page ? I have to Google Alamy forums to get the page up now.

Edited by Marb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you mean 23 sales from January remain uncleared, or that 23 sales between January and now remain uncleared? The former would be unusual - all my January sales cleared in March and I am now receiving cleared amounts for February and March.

 

23 sales over a period of a few months from a portfolio of 2200 is good going. Well done. Do some of the sales look like they might be to the same customer and it is that one customer who is slow? Some sales are notoriously slow to come in - calendar sales being a notable example. 

 

The missing link to the Alamy forum has been discussed in another thread. The consensus is that it discourages customers a little from reading the moans and machinations of contributors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Do you mean 23 sales from January remain uncleared, or that 23 sales between January and now remain uncleared? The former would be unusual - all my January sales cleared in March and I am now receiving cleared amounts for February and March.

 

23 sales over a period of a few months from a portfolio of 2200 is good going. Well done. Do some of the sales look like they might be to the same customer and it is that one customer who is slow? Some sales are notoriously slow to come in - calendar sales being a notable example. 

 

The missing link to the Alamy forum has been discussed in another thread. The consensus is that it discourages customers a little from reading the moans and machinations of contributors.

14 sales from january and the rest are later months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marb said:

Is having 23 uncleared sales at Alamy normal since January ? I was shocked to see this having just looked now. Its bad enough that sale amounts have drastically reduced but to have so many sales uncleared is disappointing.

 

And on another note, what happened to the forum link at the bottom of the page ? I have to Google Alamy forums to get the page up now.

Glad to hear you’ve had so many sales these last few months.

 

It’s not the number of uncleared sales that is relevant, since that simply depends on how many sales you’ve had. It depends on who the sales were to. The newspaper sales take much longer to clear than others, I have some going back to 30th January, and plenty uncleared for later months. I even have one uncleared sale from last August. A newspaper that I won’t name used two of my images for the same article. They did pay up for one of them a couples of months ago, but unbelievably they didn’t pay up for the other.

 

The Sun, Times etc tend to clear their sales in a bunch around every 5/6 months in my experience.

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sally said:

Glad to hear you’ve had so many sales these last few months.

 

It’s not the number of uncleared sales that is relevant, since that simply depends on how many sales you’ve had. It depends on who the sales were to. The newspaper sales take much longer to clear than others, I have some going back to 30th January, and plenty uncleared for Later months. I even have one uncleared sale from last August. A newspaper that I won’t name used two of my images for the same article. They did pay up for one of them a couples of months ago, but unbelievably they didn’t pay up for the other.

Ok, thanks Sally. Just wanted to run it past everyone as I am unsure if this is normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marb said:

14 sales from january and the rest are later months.

 

I suspect this may be sales to a single customer, it would be very odd for 14 different sales all to remain uncleared for this long. I would send an email to contributor relations on the matter if they don't clear by the end of this month, or sooner if you are getting itchy about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

 

I suspect this may be sales to a single customer, it would be very odd for 14 different sales all to remain uncleared for this long. I would send an email to contributor relations on the matter if they don't clear by the end of this month, or sooner if you are getting itchy about it.

They are all personal use which I suspect if not paid could be people buying images to have with no watermark and use to sell on. I have since unchecked personal use in my account some weeks ago. Not all the same buyers either.

Edited by Marb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm surprised more contributors haven't complained that finding the forum has changed. I now go to my dashboard and hit the help button opposite  AIM in blue and that takes me to contributors homepage and the forum button is bottom left in grey.

 

seems we just had to find it by trial and error. maybe there was a notification I missed

 

Of course limiting access to the forum to contributors is a good thing and has been suggested many times

Edited by Robert M Estall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Marb said:

They are all personal use which I suspect if not paid could be people buying images to have with no watermark and use to sell on. I have since unchecked personal use in my account some weeks ago. Not all the same buyers either.

 

Such a large number of PU licences does seem unusual. I know some other contributors complain about the high proportion of PU sales, but for me it is about 1 sale in 20. The other oddity is that you might reasonably expect PU sales to be to one or more private individuals and for payment to be made immediately, in which case they would clear after 45 days, per Alamy's T&C. 

 

While it is possible you are right about people using the PU sale to get images for further resale, it seems unlikely to me that such people would spend money to get unwatermarked images when they can nick stuff quite easily from other parts of the internet. Unless there is something unique about these particular images?  In any case I would query with Alamy such an unusually high number of PU sales and why they have not cleared by now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Marb said:

They are all personal use which I suspect if not paid could be people buying images to have with no watermark and use to sell on. I have since unchecked personal use in my account some weeks ago. Not all the same buyers either.

 

Beggars the question if they were all for personal use then surely the buyer would have bought them on personal debit/credit card in which case they should have been cleared already.

 

Smells like some outfit with an account is taking the mick :(

 

You should try having an uncleared distributor sale from March 2018 ~ I've written for the third time to Alamy politely asking when it will be cleared.

 

I've withdrawn from distributor sales this April I'm tired of small amounts waiting for them to clear :(

Edited by David Pimborough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

Smells like some outfit with an account is taking the mick :(

 

 

You mean image theft or a tardy company ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a response from support:

 

The sales from January are mainly distribution sales and these do take longer to clear because of the number of people involved in the process. If you haven’t seen the payment clear we haven’t given up or forgotten about it, our Credit control team are constantly chasing invoices and we’ll update your account once we’ve collected payment.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2019 at 08:49, Robert M Estall said:

I'm surprised more contributors haven't complained that finding the forum has changed. I now go to my dashboard and hit the help button opposite  AIM in blue and that takes me to contributors homepage and the forum button is bottom left in grey.

 

 

why not make the forum page a favourite/bookmark/shortcut in your browser so that it's just one click away?

 

km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2019 at 08:49, Robert M Estall said:

I now go to my dashboard and hit the help button opposite  AIM in blue and that takes me to contributors homepage and the forum button is bottom left in grey.

 

I second Keith here, though I like to bookmark the All Activity page:

 

https://discussion.alamy.com/discover/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just found quite a few from November that are still uncleared - distributor sales to China and Japan.

And - perhaps more surprising - 5 UK newspaper sales from 30th January (The Sun, I think)

and another 5 newspaper sales from February (The Sun, I think)

I think perhaps it is time Mr Murdoch was sent a reminder

Edited by Phil Robinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.