Use Of Image Manager to older images

I have in the region of 12800 images on here. I would like to know how many of you with say 5000+ images bothered to go back and applied the new AIM (supertage, tags etc) to your existing images or did you just leave them to what transferred over and just apply them to newly uploaded images. To go back and apply the new details to 12000+ is an awful lot of time. I started but thought is it really worth it

Kevin

I did it and it was truly worthwhile. Sure, it took a while but if you allow a few hours each day you can wade through them comfortably. Also you'll be surprised how many errors and corrections you'll coma across

Go for it.

I did when the transfer occurred, at which time I only had around 3500 images. It's difficult to say whether it has any impact on sales, but given that it corrupted many of my keywords and the ordering of supertags then it could only be a negative to leave them uncorrected. Only you can decide on how much time it is worth dedicating to the project, but perhaps start with anything you feel is your strongest areas?

This has been a well-threaded .. er, thread, Kevin.

As a major project, I've not touched mine. I have however tweaked a few that really needed it. But you're right, when one's collection runs into tens of thousands, it's just too much work and I value my evenings alongside my family, not hunched over Alamy tags.

And now, many will disagree ..

I don't have that many files, but when the new AIM was introduced, I went back and redid all my port.

As above, found and corrected typos, added some new keywords here and there, and found and corrected mis-matchings which the AIM system had mashed up.

Can't say it has made any positive difference.

well, I've done some but not the lot. I forget the details but there was a big change about five years ago which required me to re-do the entire portfolio. Once was enough!. I check random sections and can't see that the new AIM had mangled my entries. I did tweek about twenty to achieve that green shift in discoverability but as many have discussed, I don't think that is worth the effort. Not at the moment anyway.

I have left my older images alone to fend for themselves in general and it does not seem to have made much difference. If older images are zoomed and even licensed I may have a look at the tagging and adjust if necessary.

Allan

There's no way of being sure whether going back over old images has helped with sales, but I have done it for the majority of my portfolio.  A large proportion of my sales has come from these reworked images, but I cannot know if they would have sold anyway.

Like others in this thread, in going back I found errors, missed keywords and mistypes. Some improvements to captions were also called for. Given that in the new AIM the caption is heavily weighted and supertags also carry a lot of weight it seems foolish to leave them unrefined if you can spare the time to polish things up.  The main thing for me is that I was able to apply to my older images the benefit of my years of experience in captioning and keywording for Alamy. I was wet behind the ears when I started and it's only in the second half of my time at Alamy that I feel I've begun to get to grips with the task.  In the midst of winter keywording in front of the fire is more attractive than standing in the cold hoping for a good shot.

I too re-did almost all my images in the new AIM.  I started while the new search engine was truly messed up for, what? half a year?

I started with re-doing all my captions up to 150 characters for my top pseudo and my medium pseudo.  I've mostly left my third tier pseudo alone.

When supertags made sense again in the search engine I then went back and did the clean-up work on tags and getting to 10 supertags.

Was it worth it?  Hard to tell, but it could only help with sales.

I have recently completed going over my entire collection. It got easier as I progressed, as keywording skills improved over time.

I had much rubbish in the keywords of older images, from a previous image manager that allowed us to drag the description fields in to the keyword box for the least important keywords. Sorted that out now.

Quite a few spelling mistakes corrected.

There had been times when keywording new pictures that I only added basic keywords, intending to revisit soon after to add more, but never did so. Those have been sorted out too.

About 200 or so images deleted, if there's better out there of the same thing then what's the point of having rubbish out there.

A laborious task that took several months, but hopefully worth it.

It's one of those chores that you do when you don't want to do anything else !

I think it was John Mitchell who said words to the effect that it takes less effort to sort out older submissions than to submit new ones. I've done most of mine, and, as above, came across plenty of errors and omissions.  Has it made any difference - no way of knowing. The market is becoming tougher all the while. My sales have gone down this year, but the fall may have been greater if I had not done the work.....

A job for the winter evenings.

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Has it made any difference - no way of knowing

It can only be a positive move. If I hadn't gone through and corrected all mine I'm sure it would play on my mind that I'd dropped the ball. The images might as well not be there if the means of finding them is broken.

I've been reworking older images -- adding supertags plus improving captions, etc. -- for over a year now and have found it to be very worthwhile. Quite often, images with new tags get zoomed not long after they have been updated. I feel that this happens too regularly to be mere coincidence. It's pretty brain-numbing work, though, which is why the project is taking me so long. I'm not a very systematic person, so it's a good thing that my collection is relatively small.  Not sure what I'd do if I had tens of thousands of images. As it is, I'm still finding batches almost every day that need fixing up. It's probably going to remain a work-in-progress...

P.S. A lot of my older images' keywords were a real mess -- i.e. they didn't transition well to the new AIM. Also, many of my captions were (and still are) inadequate.

Thanks for your input. I have started but I think its going to take ages . I will stick with it and see how it goes. I guess I have more time on my hands since I gave up going out to shoot just to shoot photos. With the sale prices these days I cant justify the time effort or expense. I only take photos away from home if I am going somewhere for another purpose and take the camera with me

kevin

Archived