Edo in Sevilla . . .

19 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, there's a lot of history there, Wim. Calle Feria is where my realty office is. I've had lunch at the Mercado three times. I took the pic of the kids playing cards there.

As someone who's about to lose free movement rights and become an ex-EU national, I'm chuffing envious. Well done, Ed.

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

BTW, that's a terrific shot of the kids playing cards in the mercado. What did Hercules do in Sevilla to have a street named after him, I wonder.B)

He was the founder of Seville according to legend. And he sits on a pillar in that square. Not sure what came first ;-)

wim

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, there's a lot of history there, Wim. Calle Feria is where my realty office is. I've had lunch at the Mercado three times. I took the pic of the kids playing cards there.

Children playing handheld computer games while grown ups, parents, are all looking at their smartphones on a Sunday - Stock Image

This one is on the roof deck restaurant/bar of the Corte Ingles on a Sunday.

wim

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Vivir y apprender. I never knew that. Gracias.

Must have a picture of him somewhere and his fellow pole-sitter Julius Ceasar. This one is on Google Maps. -Both Hercules and Caesar with their faces blurred ;-)

JC actually not just visited but did stay in Seville.

And in turn was part of legends like how the rivalry between the local football clubs came about.

Btw both emperors Trajan and Hadrian (the wall guy) came from Seville (well from Italica, which lies next to Seville - 7km as the crow flies from Alameda de Hercules).

Marble bust of Roman emperor Trajan who was born in Sevilla Seville Spain. Palacio La Casa de Pilatos, Pilate's - Stock Image

Trajan

wim

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I signed a year's lease on a nice furnished one-bedroom apartment today.

I'm in what I consider a perfect location, just off the double-wide avenue of Hercules in Alameda. Lots of bistros and tapas bar and stores of all kinds. I met an American woman who is an expat and part of that community. Now I must get a NIE number and open a Spanish bank account and do many more strange things without speaking more than a dozen words of Spanish. Poco a poco.

Edo of Seville

So pleased for you Edo.  Looks an amazing place.

John

41 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Must have a picture of him somewhere and his fellow pole-sitter Julius Ceasar. This one is on Google Maps. -Both Hercules and Caesar with their faces blurred ;-)

JC actually not just visited but did stay in Seville.

And in turn was part of legends like how the rivalry between the local football clubs came about.

Btw both emperors Trajan and Hadrian (the wall guy) came from Seville (well from Italica, which lies next to Seville - 7km as the crow flies from Alameda de Hercules).

Marble bust of Roman emperor Trajan who was born in Sevilla Seville Spain. Palacio La Casa de Pilatos, Pilate's - Stock Image

Trajan

wim

I didn't know that Sevilla had such an illustrious Roman past. The ruins at Italica look interesting, well worth a visit.

Fantastic news Edo. Great to hear you have settled. Lets hope you can find a longer term solution during the years grace you now have.

Allan

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Fantastic news Edo. Great to hear you have settled. Lets hope you can find a longer term solution during the years grace you now have.

Allan

In NYC we only have one year leases and two year leases. You can buy, of course, but there is no guarantee that your "maintenance" won't go up and up. So I guess "long term" is not in the cards here except that there are a lot of safeguards against landlords just kicking you out. That's one reason Ed had the funds to move to Spain. I am so glad to see him settled and the lease seems long enough to me and, I hope, to him too.

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

In NYC we only have one year leases and two year leases. You can buy, of course, but there is no guarantee that your "maintenance" won't go up and up. So I guess "long term" is not in the cards here except that there are a lot of safeguards against landlords just kicking you out. That's one reason Ed had the funds to move to Spain. I am so glad to see him settled and the lease seems long enough to me and, I hope, to him too.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette I did not know that.:)

Allan

Betty, the public time and temp display across the street from my hotel window says 25C at 5:32PM (77F). Next week we will be getting rain. Good for las fiores, they say. 

I checked into the apartment this morning and found lots of little problems. But doing a lease without a common language, I expected that. I met a woman on the roof earlier who spoke good English. She was hanging her laundry up to dry; my flat has a washer but not a dryer. That's is typical here. I shall adjust. 

Paulette, NYC is a great city, but I wouldn't want to retire there. ;)

Anyone of you who gets to Seville in the next year will be my guest at a slap-up lunch. 

Have I been lucky? I certainly have. Without the generosity of friends, of Alamy, of my ex-step son and his wonderful Québecoise wife and of all you forum folks -- I would not have made it.  Muchas gracias.

Edo of Seville

Archived