Edo in Sevilla . . .

People have been asking me for my impressions on this wonderful, historic Spanish city. I feel it is too early for me to have real opinions. After I find a place to live and settle in for a few weeks, I'll be ready to say what I think. There is an generous amount of general information on Seville, with its many layers of history, available to all on the Net. 

Right now I'm forced to deal with another wall that I must get past: it seems that nothing in the way of furnished apartments are available right now. Nothing. Very scary this. And even the hotels, where I'm hemorrhaging money at the moment, are all booked up. I'm going to have to get lucky, and it will have to be soon. 

Here's a few of my first snaps of Seville to go live on Alamy:

tapas-PWAF5R.jpg

two-spanish-businessmen-in-suits-and-tieoutside-the-seville-bullring-is-this-sta

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

People have been asking me for my impressions on this wonderful, historic Spanish city. I feel it is too early for me to have real opinions. After I find a place to live and settle in for a few weeks, I'll be ready to say what I think. There is an generous amount of general information on Seville, with its many layers of history, available to all on the Net. 

Right now I'm forced to deal with another wall that I must get past: it seems that nothing in the way of furnished apartments are available right now. Nothing. Very scary this. And even the hotels, where I'm hemorrhaging money at the moment, are all booked up. I'm going to have to get lucky, and it will have to be soon. 

Here's a few of my first snaps of Seville to go live on Alamy:

tapas-PWAF5R.jpg

two-spanish-businessmen-in-suits-and-tieoutside-the-seville-bullring-is-this-sta

I like the name of the bar in the middle photo!!

Hi Edo

Glad to hear you are there now but obviously not your accommodation worries. Don't wish to try to teach you to suck eggs, but have you tried 'friending' a local bar owner, shop keeper, waiter? Get chatting with them and I would like to bet one of them will know of something available, or failing that they may be able to direct you to a local website, bit like craigslist, that type of thing. Also there is Facebook marketplace, I know around me here in Portugal lots of people put places to let on there, you have to join Facebook of course ;)  Hope you manage to find something soon, its looks lovely. Jenny

5 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I like the name of the bar in the middle photo!!

Arenal Ventura? Sounds rude.:huh:

Pleased you are liking it there Edo, but sorry you are having trouble finding more permanent accommodation.

Allan

Hello!

Well, there is right now a real touristic apartment bubble in Seville, which is making life very hard for all of us who still like to live in our hometown. As a result, apartments for rent are hard to find and very expensive, because every landlord seems to prefer fast (and big) money through Airbnb and so. You can check the rent offer on idealista or casafoto, the two leading websites in real estate subjects.  But be ready to pay a high fee if you want to live in the city center, Triana or any other tourist-oriented quarter. Middle class or working class quarters are cheaper, they are all around the city center northwards, eastwards and southwards. Some scary neighborhoods like Los Pajaritos or Las Trel Mil Viviendas must be avoided, though, but the vast majority of places are very safe. Sevilla is not that large. I go walking or biking everywhere. Another option is the Aljarafe area connected to the city through the tube (car traffic is awful, avoid it), id est, San Juan de Aznalfarache or Mairena del Aljarafe. There, prices are much lower and the tube is quick (if not exactly cheap). 

Anyway, good luck in your search, I'm sorry not to know someone who has a nice apartment for rent.

On 10/17/2018 at 13:32, george said:

Edo, try Idealista they seem to have lots of apartments. good luck 

Jenny

They do, Jenny, but when you dig down deeper you'll find that they are all booked for sometime into the future.  (And Felipe is right.)

I thank you all for your suggestions; I know you mean well. I don't have the time or energy to respond to them all . . . expect, Michael, I have this funny feeling that you speak Spanish. ;)  Unfortunately, I do not. 

Sorry, Michael -- that last remark should have been aimed at Jenny, not you. :unsure:

Edo

Did a quick search “need furnished apartment in Seville, in Google there is a sponsored result, nestpick.com they returned 170 results went from 150 euros per month upwards, most wanted a minimum 9 month term, checked some listings and had availability from October.  I recognized the Bull Ring statue, I photographed the matador statue across the street by the river as well.

Sorry to hear about your apartment challenges, Edo. Hope something comes up soon.

As I remember, you encountered a similar situation in San Miguel de Allende. Popular travel destinations always seem to be difficult places in which to find long-term digs. That's a pretty trendy looking crowd at the Arenal Ventura. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Have you tried Airbnb, Edo? I haven't looked closely but there seem to be some reasonable options there, short-term.

Good suggestion, but Airbnb might be part of the problem. That's certainly the case here in expensive Vancouver where the vacancy rate is virtually zero. So many landlords have taken apartments off the long-term market in order to rent them short-term on Aibnb that the city has had to step in and impose regulations. There have literally been families camping in tents because they can't find a place to live. Airbnb has become a very contentious issue.

Yes, John, airbnb is the core of the problem here too. When I was looking at them (and all the other online rental agencies too) I found most apartments had one of three problems: too expensive, too far out of the center, or a shared bathroom. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, John, airbnb is the core of the problem here too. When I was looking at them (and all the other online rental agencies too) I found most apartments had one of three problems: too expensive, too far out of the center, or a shared bathroom. 

Airbnb works best in cities with high vacancy rates. In Vancouver, people now have to pay for a business license if they want to rent out accommodations thru airbnb. Also, the room or apartment has to be in their primary residence. Sorry, don't mean to ruin your day... :unsure:

Sorry to hear you can't find an accommodation. When I came to live to Spain I used idealista.com , it was easy, but I live in Zaragoza, which is not a touristic destination.

How long do you plan to stay? Is Sevilla the only option? If not, you might consider Cordoba. It shares the same Andalucia culture, it is well connected with Madrid and Sevilla through the high speed train (AVE), but less touristic. Also, other cities on the Mediterranean side, like Malaga, Valencia, Alicante, Murcia, might have better offer.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

We haven't heard from you in awhile, Edo.

How is the apartment-hunting going?

John Mitchell      Arrrrrgh!  You frightened me John.:o

Bloody Halloween.

Allan

30 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry about that. Dia de los Muertos (day of the Dead) actually. Halloween is too tame for me. B)

Tame! Not in this country it ain't.:blink:

Allan

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've not reported because I have nothing good to report.

Edo

Sorry to hear that Edo.:(

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

I signed a year's lease on a nice furnished one-bedroom apartment today.

I'm in what I consider a perfect location, just off the double-wide avenue of Hercules in Alameda. Lots of bistros and tapas bar and stores of all kinds. I met an American woman who is an expat and part of that community. Now I must get a NIE number and open a Spanish bank account and do many more strange things without speaking more than a dozen words of Spanish. Poco a poco.

Edo of Seville

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I signed a year's lease on a nice furnished one-bedroom apartment today.

I'm in what I consider a perfect location, just off the double-wide avenue of Hercules in Alameda. Lots of bistros and tapas bar and stores of all kinds. I met an American woman who is an expat and part of that community. Now I must get a NIE number and open a Spanish bank account and do many more strange things without speaking more than a dozen words of Spanish. Poco a poco.

Edo of Seville

Excellent news and excellent choice!

Remember the wet market Mercado de Feria on C Feria, just to the East of the A de H.

The whole Feria street is a flea market on Thursday morning.

wim

Archived