Edo in Sevilla . . .

Yes, internet and a bank account and a NIE number are the big items. The smaller things I’m solving one by one.

going back to the basics I was looking for in a location: cost, climate, cuisine, culture, walkability, and worthy stock subjects.

so far I’ve been spending more than I hoped, but that could get better. It’s cold and dark in my rental. And I’m not looking forward to 100-plus days in summer. There are lots of good restaurants. The history and culture in Seville is rich. I can cover the inner city on foot, no problem. I’ve not yet gone out to shoot, but this city is filled with subject matter. I doubt that it will produce the sales that NYC has, but it is incredibly photogenic. 

Edo

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, internet and a bank account and a NIE number are the big items. The smaller things I’m solving one by one.

going back to the basics I was looking for in a location: cost, climate, cuisine, culture, walkability, and worthy stock subjects.

so far I’ve been spending more than I hoped, but that could get better. It’s cold and dark in my rental. And I’m not looking forward to 100-plus days in summer. There are lots of good restaurants. The history and culture in Seville is rich. I can cover the inner city on foot, no problem. I’ve not yet gone out to shoot, but this city is filled with subject matter. I doubt that it will produce the sales that NYC has, but it is incredibly photogenic. 

Edo

If your place is on the cool side that could prove to be a boon once the hot weather arrives. Hopefully, they sell electric heaters in Spain. I imagine that NYC is tough -- if not impossible -- to beat when it comes to urban stock-photo opportunities, but there's a lot to be said for photogenic. Too bad your flat didn't come with Wi-Fi. Is Internet service expensive in Sevilla?

I'm tempted to quote Oscar Wilde about advice: pass it one, he said. John, I've got 6 months before it gets hot. It's raining a lot now, but the winter is mild . . . except in my apartment. Poco a poco.

Whatever WiFi costs, it should be less than hitting cafes to do it. 

Lots of lovely people and children and doggos here in Seville. Screw the PTSD!!!  I got through it before. 

On 24/11/2018 at 13:52, Ed Rooney said:

The history and culture in Seville is rich. I can cover the inner city on foot, no problem. I’ve not yet gone out to shoot, but this city is filled with subject matter. I doubt that it will produce the sales that NYC has, but it is incredibly photogenic. 

Edo

I agree. Went to Seville for a few days a couple of weeks ago (first ever visit), and was very impressed with what's on offer, three UNESCO world heritage sites just for a start! And like you say, a compact walkable city too, so easy to get around. Only possible downside I can think of ......... summer! 

I don’t know that I deserve all that praise, Mark, but thank you. 

I’m glade to hear that Seville is selling for you. There are a bunch of tourists here, so there’s an interest. 

In the mean while — give my regards to Broadway. And to Oxfordshire.

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I haven't really checked it out yet, John, but WiFi will cost about 20 euros a month. I was paying $110US in NYC.

Hmmm... let's see. That's only about $30 CAN, I pay more that twice that, which is still a lot less than what you were paying in NYC.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The complexities of getting Internet or anything here are beyond reason; can't do A before I do B and can't do B before I do C. And I can't do C at all. That's as good as I can explain things. :wacko:

You can't do C because you haven't done D yet.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Spain has proven to be a huge mistake.

I would like to get on a flight out tomorrow and go home. But I have no home. The complexities of the Spanish bureaucracy are impossible to navigate, and without speaking Spanish doubly so. 

English is the linga franca of the 21st century, but not here. Not one person where there is a need to be an English speaker speaks English. No one at the University Hospital, realty offices, clinics, or at the Immigration Office speaks English . . . and I cannot learn enough Spanish to use now when I need to. 

I do not believe things will get better with time, nor do I know what to do or where to go. I’m stressed, depressed and scared (PTSD). 

I’m sorry, but it would be impossible for me to explain the endless details of this situation.

Edo

Edo I am sorry to hear of your problems and hope you can get help soon.

Wonder if there is a "Citizens Advice Bureau" with English speaking helpers near to you that you have not spotted yet.

Allan

Not good news Edo, and you're absolutely right on the language thing.

I know that in Malaga there's quite a lively expat scene with a facebook group and meet-ups.

Not sure about Seville /Sevilla. Google does bring up some expat forums, but no facebook group.

Maybe try the Malaga one?

wim

(from Madrid)

Thank you for your supportive thoughts, people. I’m sorry to have posted such downer. 

I do have an American expat woman who has been helpful, but she doesn’t work for me nor is she on my schedule. There are lots of locals who speak some English where I don’t need them to, in restaurants and such. This is the telling point: no one at the government’s Immigration Office speaks anything but Spanish. Does that make sense to any of you? 

Edo 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thank you for your supportive thoughts, people. I’m sorry to have posted such downer. 

I do have an American expat woman who has been helpful, but she doesn’t work for me nor is she on my schedule. There are lots of locals who speak some English where I don’t need them to, in restaurants and such. This is the telling point: no one at the government’s Immigration Office speaks anything but Spanish. Does that make sense to any of you? 

Edo 

Reading your tales sounds like it is here in France. Bureaucracy. Endless paperwork. They know it but won't do anything about it!

Don't you have access to an Irish passport? Wouldn't it be easier to go to there? I know that's probably easier said than done but it's a thought. Outside of that, how about Italy. In my many travels to the country I have found a good number of people speak English and not just in cafés and restaurants but you also find it in some of the bigger cities town halls.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo 

You would think that they would have someone who speaks some English in an immigration office. However, the situation is similar even in Mexico, government workers -- especially functionaries -- who speak English tend to be few and far between IME. Fortunately, I can mumble enough Spanish to get by, so I haven't had any major problems when there. Also, the Spanish exported their love of mind-numbing bureaucracy to most of what is now Latin America -- endless confusing forms and endless rubber-stamping. I guess it's one way of keeping everyone employed.

Sorry to hear that things are so tough in Seville for you Ed.    Perhaps you could connect with more English speakers through a meetup group.  I checked and there are a few in Seville (and some others as well):

Maria

John, I was only in Mexico for two months and didn’t have to deal with the bureaucracy. 

Jools, the reason I’m not in Ireland or Italy is that they cost a lot more ... and I speak Italian. 

I’ll remind all of my considerations: cost, climate, cuisine, culture, walkability and stock subjects. 

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I was only in Mexico for two months and didn’t have to deal with the bureaucracy. 

You lucked out in that department. However, to be fair, things aren't quite as bad as they used to be down Mexico way.

English speaking doctors are usually easy to find in Mexico, though. Doesn't sound like that's the case in your part of Spain.

Archived