I'm seeing quite a few of these sales (very low sales value), Any Idea of which quarterly magazine this could be? (Wildlife images)

Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 June 2018
End: 01 June 2023

I wouldn't mind knowing too as I had one just the same yesterday and it's not the first time.  A shockingly low price for any use including front cover.  Mine was a pair of trainers.

Pearl

If you dont mind me asking, what is a "low value"? I am only starting up and haven't had a sale yet, therefore I am trying to understand and control expectations :) Is this below £5? Is it below £50? Would you be able to give me some indication?

Thank you

10 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

If you dont mind me asking, what is a "low value"? I am only starting up and haven't had a sale yet, therefore I am trying to understand and control expectations :) Is this below £5? Is it below £50? Would you be able to give me some indication?

Thank you

We try not to actually mention low prices on this public forum but I will say lower your expectations even more.

Pearl

24 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

As my son would say... OMG!!! Seriously? 

To be fair, I’ve had nearly 60 sales now, and only 8 have been in single $ and only one of those as low as is being implied. The only thing you can be sure about though is that there will be lows as well as highs.

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Fees at Alamy are better than other places. I know that does not prevent disappointment but there are also relatively healthy fees here which are not available from competitors.

My fee as contributed above was followed by a $$$ value, and in the low times I have to remind myself that can happen, so yes, stay positive and don't let the buggers grind you down.

I had one similar back in January, same wording and image size of 1 page etc, not found it yet - I keep trying with google images and alamy details in " " via google (found two images waiting to be credited for by using the " " 

3 hours ago, Avpics said:

My fee as contributed above was followed by a $$$ value, and in the low times I have to remind myself that can happen, so yes, stay positive and don't let the buggers grind you down.

And as said in the North of our fair country. (nil desperandum Illegitimi non Carborundum)

Allan

5 hours ago, Avpics said:

Good for you, :)

I haven't had a $$$ (even gross) sale since Dec 2016, and that was exactly $100.

5 hours ago, York Photographer said:

Something is very wrong when the Net Value of a sale, isn't enough to buy a copy of the publication.

It is not in my business interest to subsidise international publishing firms.

+1

Pearl

6 hours ago, York Photographer said:

Something is very wrong when the Net Value of a sale, isn't enough to buy a copy of the publication.

It is not in my business interest to subsidise international publishing firms.

Many people in supply jobs can't afford the product they make. Do people who work for big name fashion houses get to wear their products? I remember years back reading that pineapple producers could never afford to eat pineapples. That latter is more shocking than our situation. (Doesn't make it right.)

If the images cost more, the price of the magazines would go up, so no difference; or else they'd use fewer images. Good if they chose yours, but you'd have less of a chance of getting sales. The publishers would want to keep their profit, so no way they'd pay more for the same number of pics and keep the magazine cost the same.

It's not in Alamy's business interest to allow these sales to go to micro competition (as many do).

Maybe these low value sales come under the UKNS, and those opted out won't get them. Of those who reported these sales, is anyone opted out?

FWIW, I opted out for nine months or so, and all that happened was my average rpd went up, but my sales and total earnings.went down.

I remember reading one forum member saying they didn't lose by opting out, but the person I remember saying that was supplying mainly US content, so perhaps not surprising.

Still, the lowest price I can remember via Alamy was to an Italian newspaper, not in the UKNS scheme.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Stop supplying micros with images ( as many do)!

Yawn.

I stopped over two years ago.

Still earn more there, pro rata, though it's falling.

I've uploaded a lot, pro rata, to my port here and will re-evaluate at the end of the year. I'm losing quite a bit of money by uploading here.

I think I've posted this before, but a couple of years back I bought a book on photographic history and styles, by a very well known photographic author. It had one historic photo in most chapters, all the 'information' and some photos by the author illustrating the 'style' of the chapter, and  then a list of web links to other relevant images. IIRC, there is also a website where you can click directly on the links by chapter. So not supplying the micros doesn't mean  buyers will buy here. If an end product has a price, costs will be cut to make that price, and it's unlikely to be in publisher's profits.

3 hours ago, York Photographer said:

The best analogy is, it's like being a farmer supplying a supermarket. If the Supermarket decides they want to gain market share by selling 4 pints of milk for 99p, and it's costing you £1.20 for 4 pints. You ain't going to be a dairy farmer for long!

Indeed, so the dairy farmers got publicity for the situation and now some major supermarkets are getting into 'fair prices for farmers'  in the hope that customers will support them.

Whether photo buyers could be similarly persuaded remains to be seen. Very few people actually 'need' to buy all that many photos - and as we know, many refuse outright to pay for anything.

The analogy isn't truly parallel. Milk producers need to sell their product very quickly, and once they've sold their four pints of milk, it's gone, they have to produce more, they can't sell the same 4 pints again. Our product can be sold again and again, and might not sell until years down the line.

Archived