4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The reality is that the majority of people supplying photos are not motivated primarily by money - it is not a business for them more of a hobby from which they get satisfaction when their images are published.

It means that people can regard themselves as 'proper' photographers and get a real kick out of it. I call it 'psychological income'.

This is where the analogies to dairy farming and other types of business fall down. I can't think that any farmers are producing milk for fun and as an ego boost.

I expect you are right about this. I got into photography for the sheer love of it. After facing down cancer and wanting to do something that gave me pleasure for whatever life I had left in case things went sideways with my health.

Then I got into stock to support my hobby, hopefully. When I sold, the thrill of it was enormous, and it made me feel that I was doing something right. 

It was only later, when more sales came in, that the psychological boost was gone, I felt confident in my abilities while always striving to get better. Then it became more earnings centered, but the pleasure and fun always remains. I never feel “this” is good enough. The day I quit loving to learn new things is the day I will hang it up.

Betty

I saw the same a few days back.

RM

Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 June 2018
End: 01 June 2023
Duration: 3 months. Any placement: Inside or cover.

Was originally Live News, of an animal rights march in Whitehall heading for Downing Street. Lowest yet, but better than nothing.

Archived