Hi,

Does anybody use a small lightweight camera when travelling?

I'm cycling from Edinburgh to Budapest so want a small camera which will pass QC...

I'm thinking about the canon EOS 1300D or similar, anybody on here shoot with this and does it pass QC?

Any other thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

I occasionally still use my Canon 400D  and pictures pass QC without issues. 

According to technical data @ DXOmark, the 1200D should be slightly better than the 400D and also has 18MPix versus 10Mpix of the 400D. 

I would not see a reason pictures of the 1200D should not pass QC. 

Since it is available for quite some time, you may bargain a used one as well. 

As for the Sony - a lot of fellows here in the forum use it very successfully - I am just not a Sony guy. 

It has some noise issues in low light/higher ISO, best to read some of the threads in the forum about the Sony. 

Two more things: 

Thing 1: I would not recommend using the kit lens, specially if you have other Canon bodies with a selection of better lenses. 

Thing 2: If I need lightweight, sometimes I just remove the Battery grip  :) - but the 5dsr i(850gr) is still heavier than 400D (510gr),  which in turn is also heavier than the 1200D (480gr). (The weights are body only)

5 hours ago, hdh said:

As for the Sony - a lot of fellows here in the forum use it very successfully - I am just not a Sony guy. 

It has some noise issues in low light/higher ISO, best to read some of the threads in the forum about the Sony. 

I am not starting an argument here but just to let you and others know I regularly submit images taken at ISO3200 processed in LR to Alamy with no failures yet.

Allan

27 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Likewise, my A58 is fine at 3200 downsized to the minimum. RAW/LR with a NR import preset. It's safe to let the auto ISO go to 3200.

I don't downsize.

Allan

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

SONY RX100 Mk3.

Allan

I agree, I love my RX100 Mk3 and no problems with Alamy QC. For twilight shots it can use some clever processing (multi-exposure) to allow handheld results that are pretty amazing too. The results are so much better than I used to get from my Canon G15 (my previous "travel" camera), also better than the Canon G9X (Sony RX100 Mk3's lens is better).

Mark

On my last trip to Maui my Sony RX100-1 was the only camera. To see them click on my images total under my Avatar. Go to middle of page 1 through all of page 3 and maybe beyond, depending on the refresh time for more recent images.

Interiors around Toronto with same camera approximately page 4

Everything hand held, but I do downsize to 14 megapixels.

I also shoot at optimum aperture. Wide angle F4, Normal F5, Tele F6.3. ISO 125 and sometimes 400 but only if necessary. I can handhold steady sharp at 1/20 second with the RX100. The RX100 series has different lenses, so test your own copy.

RX 100 great for traveling light, and also makes you just another tourist. I stand beside security at malls museums etc and snap away. Something I have trouble doing with my Canon 5Ds kit.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I am not starting an argument here but just to let you and others know I regularly submit images taken at ISO3200 processed in LR to Alamy with no failures yet.

Allan

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Likewise, my A58 is fine at 3200 downsized to the minimum. RAW/LR with a NR import preset. It's safe to let the auto ISO go to 3200.

It was just my impression, remembering some threads around this and not definitely not meant to downplay that camera. 

I tried to soften it by saying a lot of people here are using the Sony successfully, which obviously is the case. 

Nothing beats first hand experience, which you all have and me not. 

Hence, apologies if misstated or misinterpreted by me. 

I would recommend a compact camera that accepts a "filter/lens adapter"... a metal tube the screws onto the camera around the lens so you can use filters such as a polarizer or keep a clear filter to protect and encapsulate the telescoping lens elements that are the most prone to damage and attracting dust. The "filter/lens adapter" does add some bulk but well worth it for the convenience and not having to worry about the camera as you use it.

Unfortunately compact cameras that accept "filter/lens adapter" are hard to find. I have been trying to update my Panasonic DMC-LX3 but so far have not found a suitable replacement so I just keep using the trusty old DMC-LX3. I have sold many photos from the DMC-LX3 here on Alamy, even a cover of a travel guide.

The bike tour sounds like great fun. It's been to long time since I've done a tour Just a Ride, Oregon loop bicycle tour

13 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I don't downsize.

Allan

I just started doing it with the A55, so I assume an older sensor, and I've carried on just as a precaution. It's just another tool in the box if an image I like needs a bit of help.

Come to think of it I don't think a 3200 has ever sold. 1600, certainly.

16 hours ago, hdh said:

It was just my impression, remembering some threads around this and not definitely not meant to downplay that camera. 

I tried to soften it by saying a lot of people here are using the Sony successfully, which obviously is the case. 

Nothing beats first hand experience, which you all have and me not. 

Hence, apologies if misstated or misinterpreted by me. 

No need to apologise you were making a genuine statement with your knowledge and experience.

I do the same thing myself sometimes and have been caught out but no matter as someone with more experience on the subject corrected me.

Allan

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I just started doing it with the A55, so I assume an older sensor, and I've carried on just as a precaution. It's just another tool in the box if an image I like needs a bit of help.

Come to think of it I don't think a 3200 has ever sold. 1600, certainly.

I have downsized one or two or more images in the past when I thought it was needed but it not a regular step in my processing flow.

Allan

The Sony RX100 is a very good choice, indeed... from the original RX100 to the most recent RX100 mark V, you have a wide gamut of prices/features to choose from. The main choice to make is between going for the original and mk II (which have a 28-100mm equivalent zoom lens) or the mk III-IV-V (which feature a 24-70mm lens). You give up on the tele end but gain an important 4mm on the wide end. There are, of course, other differences between each iteration.

Another good alternative is the Canon G7X and G7X mk II, which have a 1" sensor similar to the Sony's. The G7X and G7XII feature a 24-100mm lens that, despite being slightly softer in the corners at 24mm than the RX100, is still more than sufficient for passing Alamy's QC.

And then there's the Canon G9X. It's a smaller version of the G7X with the same 1" sensor but a less ambitious lens and no tilting LCD. The price and size may interest you, though.

I personally had an original Sony RX100 which served me well but that I ended up losing somewhere... I then got a Canon G7X and have been enjoying it as well. Never had a photo from either camera fail Alamy's QC.

If you are considering the Canon because you have existing Canon lenses then a look at the new mirrorless M50 may be worthwhile. Any existing lenses could be used with the canon adaptor. I use the Sony RX100 Mk2 as it is my constant companion but would not be confident enough for it to be my only camera on a trip. The Sony 6000 is available at bargain prices at the moment and the Sony 6300 (and if you can afford it the 6500) are excellent options, but what glass do you use with them?

A lot of my pictures are taken with a Canon G9x mk II including my best three figure sale.  Also I’m just back from Budapest which was stunning, I’m working on my pictures now. It’s a beautiful city, enjoy 😊.

I too want a small pocketable, go everywhere, camera. I keep looking at each iteration of the RX-100 but it never works for me - I much prefer to use a viewfinder but I wear glasses and as soon as I hold the RX-100 up to my eye the pop-out viewfinder pops in :(

I currently use a Fuji X-100T as an adjunct to my extensive Fuji X outfit; I like the results but it is bigger than I want and not as flexible. Most of this small camera's images will be used on my own blogs and articles rather than for stock so the camera's Alamy QC acceptability is not really an issue. I do want decent quality and it must shoot RAW as I might try placing images other than with Alamy so will be looking at different acceptance criteria. I am heading for my worst year with Alamy since my first part year in 2002, last year was my best year for numbers but well down for revenue, hence my change of emphasis.

Archived