My Local newspaper has started a camera club and you can send in photos and if your lucky you may see them in the newspaper social media or on there website for free of course. Thet are getting 100's of photos daily

9 minutes ago, Southpole said:

My Local newspaper has started a camera club and you can send in photos and if your lucky you may see them in the newspaper social media or on there website for free of course. Thet are getting 100's of photos daily

We had a thread about that last year- Bradford Telegraph and Argus iirc. They shut their FB group down after a few well-directed posts from contributors here:ph34r:

12 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

BBC Weatherwatchers does this every single day. I wince every time I see a photo on the local news that could have earned money.

Alan

Fortunately the weatherwatchers pics on our local news are flat and boring. Not seen a good one yet.:)

Allan

I'd have thought all local newspapers do this, mine certainly does and have done for years, you even see them pinch stuff off facebook, or google if there is a local fire or something, just like the weather pics, they don't pay you, but too many people want to see there name and photo on the TV or in the paper for nothing, i'm afraid.

Funnily enough, a couple of years ago I had an image license through another - small - agency, for use in a local, small-town newspaper. The image was of the town-twinning sign on the edge of town - about 1/2 mile from the newspaper offices! 

I posted on Fb a pic which had been used by a UK newspaper and a Fb friend asked how I had got it on there, and I said, I sold it via Alamy.

This person regularly has half-page photos in a national newspaper, which he supplies for free.

Anyway, he said he'd applied a while back to Alamy and was rejected for his camera (I didn't press whether that was when they had a list or more recent, but for sure he uses an all-in-one, not a dSLR).

Anyway, when he found out what I earned for the pic, he said he couldn't understand why I berate him from time to time for supplying the paper for free.

Another friend only last week had a national magazine approach her and ask for a photo she'd posted on Fb.

I said, "I hope you said, "Yes, at your usual fee" as they'd approached me about a Flickr pic a couple of years back and I got £50, exactly the same as they'd paid to Alamy for each of another two from the series, except I kept the lot. (I hadn't put the Flickr one on Alamy because although it was arguably the most interesting of the set, I didn't think the IQ would pass, as it was a photo of a night festival, and there was probably too much subject-movement-blur to be acceptable.)

She hadn't, but she also said, "But if I had, I'd just have had a hassle having to report it for tax, as I don't have self-employed earnings, then they'd likely have sent me a tax form for life."

... and then there's Alamy only taking iPhone pics. People I know aren't about to buy a more expensive iPhone rather than e.g. a Galaxy (which I have) on the offchance of making the extra from Alamy stock (other agencies do accept e.g. Samsung (other brands are available) pics, but we're in the Alamy forum).

10 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

She hadn't, but she also said, "But if I had, I'd just have had a hassle having to report it for tax, as I don't have self-employed earnings, then they'd likely have sent me a tax form for life."

She doesn’t know, then, that you can earn £1000 annually from a hobby/business without it attracting tax.

7 hours ago, Sally said:

She doesn’t know, then, that you can earn £1000 annually from a hobby/business without it attracting tax.

No, she's never had to think about it until now, and I had no idea either.

Thanks for the info! I've heard the 'tax thing' being quoted before and now I can quote that.

An y idea how long that's been the case?

Not all local papers are the same that's for sure.  I've had some success ( paid for ) with a local paper, who is owned by one of the "big" players. There were some issues with license agreements, which basically I refused to sign as they were. This led to a constructive conference call with 4 people from head office in London, including a director, and opportunities may well arise. For sure don't do free stuff, I think editors appreciate quality images, even the local paper that says it has no budget. I periodically send them what I think is a decent picture ( to buy ) on the off-chance.

2 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

No, she's never had to think about it until now, and I had no idea either.

Thanks for the info! I've heard the 'tax thing' being quoted before and now I can quote that.

An y idea how long that's been the case?

It’s new, since April 2017 I believe.

I will not name her but the amount of times I see a certain weatherwatcher from Twickenham credited with her photos I scream at the TV. It cracks my wife up. Her photos must be used at least 4 out of 7 days per week. For god sake woman, do not give your photos away for nothing!!!. She is obviously a keen photographer for the amount of photos she sends in

That's my rant for the day

Kevin

On 3/29/2018 at 12:10, spacecadet said:

We had a thread about that last year- Bradford Telegraph and Argus iirc. They shut their FB group down after a few well-directed posts from contributors here:ph34r:

Yes, that was my (then) local paper, part of Newsquest who were offering a split of £9,000 to the paper who could get the most free content in a year!
It wasn't closed, but all dissenting commenters were banned from the group LOL.
I originally blogged about it here... https://blog.mickflynnimages.com/2017/04/love-to-see-your-pictures-in-print-so.html

Then got banned...
https://blog.mickflynnimages.com/2017/05/banned-from-my-local-newspaper.html

During the winter weather a few weeks back they used a picture of mine (it was from 2015) and credited it as being mine... from the Facebook camera club.
The editor agreed to pay me, but hasn't yet, so I will be going to the small claims court.

Archived