How would you keyword this image?

work, worker, working, female, woman, girl, hi-vis, PPE, personal protection equipment, airline, airliner, airplane, aeroplane, aviation, job, skill, at work, in work, support work, support worker, airside, airside worker, airside clearance, airside cleared, airside security,  airport, aerodrome, airport work, airport worker, female airport worker, airside staff, etc

stuff like that

and the plurals: women, girls, females, workers, jobs, etc

Which, with yours, gets you to the 50 tags, all relevant, without too much bother

Thank you!

@ PPE - personal protection equipment:

She's not using a whole lot. In all other images about this job, there's face masks and huge ear defenders and safety helmets. (She maybe wearing in-ear protection though.)

Now would you somehow comment on that in the keywords?

Would it make the image totally unsuitable for the UK and the US?

Would you somehow allude to men-women job equality?

I cannot find that many in AoA, so my guess is that's not what clients are looking for. Or I'm not using the right keywords for a search.

wim

55 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Thank you!

@ PPE - personal protection equipment:

She's not using a whole lot. In all other images about this job, there's face masks and huge ear defenders and safety helmets. (She maybe wearing in-ear protection though.)

Now would you somehow comment on that in the keywords?

Would it make the image totally unsuitable for the UK and the US?

Would you somehow allude to men-women job equality?

I cannot find that many in AoA, so my guess is that's not what clients are looking for. Or I'm not using the right keywords for a search.

wim

I'd most certainly be prioritising the gender content here in the caption/supertags

EDIT: - and, as has already been mentioned, the safety aspect - or lack of it!

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Canada her job position is "station attendant", working on the airport ramp.  In addition to baggage handling, her duties would include cleaning out the human waste from the crapper (which she seems to be doing here).

My nephew is a "Ramper" and is currently doing that particular job (he calls it doing Lav's) as it is the easiest job on the ramp and he is recovering from hernia surgery.  He recently experience a problem when after being serviced by mechanics the hose that attaches to the plane was improperly tightened and became disconnected from the metal fitting while pumping out the human waste.  He was showered with "blue juice" as he called it.  He had to shower, throw his uniform away, see a doctor, get a hepatitis shot, and schedule a return visit to see if there were any other ill effects.  He hasn't had any ill effects, but he did have to listen to a lot of bad jokes about what a (insert word here) job he had.  Here is a good description of their duties.

2 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Do they still call the waste truck a "Honey wagon"?

Lol! I had totally forgotten about this one. Unfortunately the clients too: no searches for it.

Also very little or no searches for apron and airside. Very few for ramp referring to an airport. Clients seem to prefer tarmac.

You can all think of what they're looking for with all those searches for girl or woman apron. ;-)

@GS

Yes most of that is on my list by now.

Let's make a list of what I have never known (ramper!) or what has been totally off my radar today:

turnaround

typical male jobs (just the typical, which I do use often)

station attendant

Airport Ramp Agent

ramper

blue juice

doing (the) Lavs

Ground Support Equipment  - GSE (which I have used on other airport images - duh)

ramp area

fleet service agent

sewage
sewerage

effluent

sanitation

personal protection equipment - PPE

airside clearance

airside staff

waste

poor practice

Thank you all so far!

wim

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It might be used as an example of poor practice- surely ear defenders are mandatory on the tarmac?

In her job I would want nose defenders.:wacko:

Allan

She's got her gloves on - that's enough since there is no detectable smell in this process.

I worked a summer as a station attendant (or ramp worker) for Air Canada and as others have said, this was an easy job.

When I was training, the instructor mentioned that the previous group had a fellow how messed up the locking mechanism and got drenched with blue goo in front of all the students.  He commented that he "didn't need this sh1t" and walked off and was never seen again.

2 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Oh it's like a pumping out of the loos, is it? My Dad used to have to do that on his boat. The hose does look the same sort of size.

I remember the sounds it made as it sucked it all up. Not a good thing to listen to while eating! Not that you would want to sit and eat while.....well anyway, enough of that. I WAS about to eat but now I'm not so sure. I blame Allan (of course).  :P

Geoff.

Oh you are back are you?

Good on you geoff.  Nahnanahna nah nah.:P

Allan

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:
It's maybe not a very saleable image, but what keywords/key phrases would you use?

In a year when we are celebrating 100 years since the suffraget movement won women the right to vote and given as "equal opportunities" is a buzz phrase in the media (in the UK at least) at the moment, I would think that a photo of a woman doing what might in the past have been considered a male job is quite saleable! In fact, didn't Alamy fairly recently have a blog on the same? 

59 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

In a year when we are celebrating 100 years since the suffraget movement won women the right to vote and given as "equal opportunities" is a buzz phrase in the media (in the UK at least) at the moment, I would think that a photo of a woman doing what might in the past have been considered a male job is quite saleable! In fact, didn't Alamy fairly recently have a blog on the same? 

This was more or less why I wanted to include something like this image.

However it's not the girl outrageously grinning over a bowl of salad type image that everybody loathes, but still outsells everything else.

I've looked at quite a lot of AoA pages over the day and not that many are looking for real people doing real things like Jeff always says.

Now there's not much more anti glamour than dealing with poo all day long of course, and I do smell recognize a niche when I see one.

But I'm not convinced this one will ever sell.

So when it does, it's because it has the best keywords ever!

wim

13 minutes ago, vpics said:

Female aviation maintenance engineer ....

Yes tempting: nice and positive.

However that is a person with a licensed qualification.

Everyone working as a below the wing employee, will immediately recognize the lav agent at work.

The clueless client who uses the image to illustrate seriously skilled work, will be the butt of a lot of jokes on social media. And so will Alamy (and I).

wim

3 hours ago, losdemas said:

This thread and all in it makes me happy to be here. Give yourselves a pat on the back, all of you, for being such nice peeps! ;) :)

Aside that is, of course, from the d**k who thought they were justified in giving my post a red arrow! :lol: Seriously, what is the matter with some people? Get a life. 

Thanks for the post, its exactly what I've been looking into since I joined. I've been through thousands of forum posts trying to get info on keywords.

I've only ever used keywords for my own purposes to help me find pics in Lightroom.

But it seems that I need to add way more if/when I start posting here.

Someone mentioned the term used for her position in Canada.

So should we use every term used worldwide for that particular job?

Should we include the type of aircraft, airline, etc etc?

As an example, here in Australia, we have numerous terms for ‘luggage’, eg bag, port, case, suitcase, luggage, duffle bag all depending on which state or territory you are from.

I can imagine that there are many more terms used throughout the world for the same thing

So do we just stick to the common terms used in your own location of put up every possible word?

Thanks

BTW - you people are really helpful with each other. Its so refreshing to find these days

16 hours ago, GS-Images said:

:D  I've been back for a week. All the staff at Alamy signed a petition saying they wanted me back. So I caved in and here I am.

Maybe a minor lie in there somewhere.  :lol:

Actually I have been "Following " you but kept my head down for a while, just waiting for an occasion where I could pounce.:)

Allan

Archived