one month. one lense

Good morning all,

I have a scenario coming up soon where we will be away for one month.

I have a Canon 5d mk3 so the choice of body is fixed but I only wish to take one lense.

What lense would you take if you were travelling abroad and disciplining yourself with taking only one lense.

I look forward to your replies..

( I have the choice of L series lenses. 24-70 ; 16-35, 70-300, 100 macro)

With a trip like this I could shoot 2000-4000 frames. so I'll be busy ...though I am reminded by my family I am retired....long live Alamy!!

Thanks

Sparks!!

Neil ...Thank you reply...but it is not one I have .

I tend to agree with you I may need more than one...but I'd prefer not...

lets see how this topic goes..

Sparks

On my travels my 24-105 is my lens of choice on my 5D Mk III, but from your options I would go with the 24-70.

That would be my take as well, when I had FF Canon the 24-105 f4 L was my go everywhere lens (and I had the 24-70 as well). It is the range I miss in my Fuji X-T2 outfit so I use 24-70mm equivalent instead.

Gruffydd, good morning...normally the 70-300 is never off the camera. with its collar (and monopod.or tripod)..but it is the L series...much larger & heavier

than the non 70-300.

its interesting how the preference is 24-70.

Thanks to all so far.

Sparks

Obviously depends on what you like & want to shoot and of course where you are going, City,Country etc but as you have a pretty limited range, your choices appear to be wide or long.

For me the 24-70mm gives you a decent wide range and almost some zoom for portrait type shots or slight zooms/close ups on subjects.

I have Nikon, so used to take a 24-120mm which gives you more capability, until I broke it. Don't Canon do a lens that covers a bigger range that you can sell maybe 2 lenses to get one?

24-70mm but I don't know where you are going and what the objective is.  If it's all wildlife then I would chose something else.

Exactly right.

And what subject is the OP most interested in?

By the way, anyone can easily carry a couple of lenses. Me? I've never gone anywhere without a second camera. In fact for most of my assignment life, I carried six bodies. Now how many pairs of socks: that a more important question. 

To be fair to those kindly replying....this trip is Greek islands, Athens, Rhodes and Santorini and others then 2 weeks UK.

Regrettably, I more often think "can this shot sell" rather than "my favourite subject"...I have a preference for marine shipping but that is by-the-by.

I see myself taking 24-70 and packing also the 70-300

I was just curious to see what ways we would discipline ourselves if it was limited to just ONE lense.

Thanks ALL

Sparks

' ... we would discipline ourselves if it was limited to just ONE lense ...'

But why would we?  We use the best 'tool' for the job in hand, if not we would never buy more than one lens ever!

The issue here is the room to carry more than one - i think, for me the 24 - 70 and 70 - 300 - Hands Down!

' ... we would discipline ourselves if it was limited to just ONE lense ...'

I practice self discipline by not getting blind drunk and falling out of a hotel window.  :wacko: 

Besides - as happens to me every time - leave one lens at home and rest assured that a once-in-a-lifetime experience will occur that only could be recorded ........ with the lens ....... you left ...... at home

Mister P: No point in worrying about missed shots; just move forward. There are lots of ways to not capture something.

Archived