Another search engine shake-up?

Just noticed, I have been out all day - there seems to have been another shake up of the search results. One of my test searches has moved my first image from half way down page 1 (and other people's) to page 16 pf 63!

Some of my other test search results seem much the same or have even improved my positioning.

Anybody else?

I did notice that if I did a search for "motorway", I got a set of results.

If I then used advanced search to find my own images via the contributor name option and then repeated the "motorway" search (having cleared the previous search), I got a different set of results. Opening a new browser or closing and re-opening my existing browser and searching for "motorway" again yielded the original results.

So this does tend to suggest that depending on what you do in your browsing session, different results might occasionally occur, presumably as a result of some caching.

But I believe I was also doing all of this at the same time that the search engine was doing it's daily refresh.. so it could all just be a result of that.

Still shaken up for me, and I hope it stays this time.

My BHZ searches make sense again.  My best images from page 4 to 2, new images at middling rank of page 20 and crummy images on page 25 where they belong.

Now if I could just get back those views and zooms to get some sales... any sales.

It's switched round how some of my images are shown in the results, images that used to be first in a batch of mine are now last... my test searches have definitely changed position, some better, some worse...

Hi All

Somethings changed for me but there seems to be a very strange clustering behaviour on some searches .

Has reverted to before the new IM I think, also changed the order of my returned images for any given search term .

The moving target has moved again.

I think it is due to a refresh as I have some images being replaced by MS the thumbnails for the old images turn up in searches but when clicked on I get an error page so might have to wait for refresh in 24 hours ???????

Jon

images that have sold dropping 160 places just one example 

Wonder what a search for SOLR would return?.

Whatever it is I hope it stays. It looks mostly very good for me.

Paulette

Me too!

2 images I'm following:

Image 1 went from page 8 (#880) to page 2 (# 202)

Image 2 went from page 3 (# 264) to page 1 (# 40).

I haven't checked any other, don't want my bubble to burst!

MY BHZ image has moved from page 4 back to to 7, pretty much back to where I was before all the changes to the search engine started.

Same behaviour for me. From page 15 to page 7 where it was before. 

Alas, my snow leopards have fallen again to page 10 and below. And to think I was inspired to upload more images today. Maybe won't bother. Not that everything is horrible but just not what it was and so discouraging.

Paulette

Still shaken up for me, and I hope it stays this time.

My BHZ searches make sense again.  My best images from page 4 to 2, new images at middling rank of page 20 and crummy images on page 25 where they belong.

Now if I could just get back those views and zooms to get some sales... any sales.

I take it back. 

The next day my best pseudo went to the top of page 1 for BHZ.  But today it went to page 9.  The other two pseudos are on both on page 19.  Back to post Dec 5 mess.

Is someone tinkering with the algorithm, or is Philippe right to say the search is now a lottery?

Not that this is news, but just for emphasis....

The other day I cleaned up the BHZ images for my 3 pseudos.  That means deleting duplicate keywords (getting them down to below 50) and adding supertags to the 10 limit.  They promptly fell about 4-5 pages in the BHZ search results.

Having BHZ only as a supertag, I then added BHZ to the caption.  My best pseudo went from page 9 to 1, and my second tier pseudos went from page 23 to 8.  Wow!

The caption is clearly a super-duper tag.

Not that this is news, but just for emphasis....

The other day I cleaned up the BHZ images for my 3 pseudos.  That means deleting duplicate keywords (getting them down to below 50) and adding supertags to the 10 limit.  They promptly fell about 4-5 pages in the BHZ search results.

Having BHZ only as a supertag, I then added BHZ to the caption.  My best pseudo went from page 9 to 1, and my second tier pseudos went from page 23 to 8.  Wow!

The caption is clearly a super-duper tag.

When you think about it, the caption should be a high priority because that is where you are going to have the most relevant information. It would improve the image results being more what the customer was searching for.

Jill

Caption significance was always quoted as "medium". If it has changed we should have been told. It would certainly have changed some of my keywording tagging behaviour lately- I wouldn't have bothered with a lot of new phrase tags.

Agreed.  Since supertags don't seem to have much effect, right now, we're better off stacking the caption with important keywords to the text limit whether it makes grammatical sense or not.

Caption significance was always quoted as "medium". If it has changed we should have been told. It would certainly have changed some of my keywording tagging behaviour lately- I wouldn't have bothered with a lot of new phrase tags.

Agreed.  Since supertags don't seem to have much effect, right now, we're better off stacking the caption with important keywords to the text limit whether it makes grammatical sense or not.

+1 Reimar

The algro is probably also hunting in the caption for search terms so that the reportage images will show up.

Some reportage images only have a caption, without tabs or keywords, but show up high in searches.

The best thing would be to have the same supertab phrase in the caption as well, it will probably raise you in the search order.

Both extensive captions and supertabs.

Archived