Another sweet little milestone.....

It's all been announced before...back on Nov 23 last year....

From the Alamy blog

http://www.alamy.com/blog/introducing-the-new-alamy-image-manager

"

A ‘discoverability’ score for each image

As you enter details for your images a status bar will show you the overall discoverability of that image (or those images) based on the amount of data you enter. The discoverability bar gives you an indication of how discoverable (visible) your images are within the search results seen by customers. The discoverability bar does not indicate a specific ‘rank’, but will increase as you add more information to your selected images. If the discoverability bar is fully green and shows ‘Optimized’ then there is no more information you can add to improve it. It’s not necessary to optimize every image. The discoverability bar is not in any way ‘reading’ or ‘scoring’ the quality of your metadata, it simply increases with the volume of searchable information you enter.

KM, congratulations on your new sales number.

I'm wondering about something James Allsworth said in that blog post. If I use the supertag "new york city" will I get a view when buyers are searching with just New York? 

Yes.

But if they search on "new york city" in quotes you will figure higher. Ditto if they search without quotes, but not so high.

As I understand it.

I'm wondering about something James Allsworth said in that blog post. If I use the supertag "new york city" will I get a view when buyers are searching with just New York? 

Congrats Keith on such an achievement.

Not to derail, but I am assuming (always a danger) that once the tags come about,tags with "new york" will superceed tags with "new york city".  Currently I am adding "toronto ontario canada"  "toronto ontario" and then each word individually.  Means a lot of extra tags but covers the bases. 

Jill

Yes.

But if they search on "new york city" in quotes you will figure higher. Ditto if they search without quotes, but not so high.

As I understand it.

Are you sure??? 

Do I understand correctly that you are saying that if I have "New York City" in quotes, and let's say no other keyword, if someone searches for New York without quotes my image will turn up?  (Not discussing how high or low it will land on the page)

How can we be sure of that?

I guess I could just keyword something like that and see.

Yes.

As I understand it.

Are you sure??? 

Do I understand correctly that you are saying that if I have "New York City" in quotes, and let's say no other keyword, if someone searches for New York without quotes my image will turn up?  (Not discussing how high or low it will land on the page)

How can we be sure of that?

I guess I could just keyword something like that and see.

I've tested something very like that with some new images today. I'm pretty sure, but do try it. A keyphrase (new word?) in quotes will get the image higher in searches, but the component words willl still figure in the search individually.

Only a search with quotes excludes component words. That's definitely right because Keith said so. ;)

Hmm. It's hard for me to do an effective test, because at the moment I have: New York City "new york city" and NYC in my cap or keywords.

My test?

New York City 1,056,132

"new york city" 941,168

New York 2,623,238

NYC 380,311

My rank is good on all searches. 

Not to derail, but I am assuming (always a danger) that once the tags come about,tags with "new york" will superceed tags with "new york city".  Currently I am adding "toronto ontario canada"  "toronto ontario" and then each word individually.  Means a lot of extra tags but covers the bases. 

Jill

Congrats, km. You definitely earned it.

Jill, can't you just use commas instead of quotation marks?

e.g. ...,toronto ontario canada,toronto,ontario,canada,...

What is the advantage of using quotes now?

Jill

Congrats, km. You definitely earned it.

Jill, can't you just use commas instead of quotation marks?

e.g. ...,toronto ontario canada,toronto,ontario,canada,...

What is the advantage of using quotes now?

I don't use quotes, just did that to separate in the post.  Just using the commas. Probably should have mentioned that.

Jill

1,057,989 search results for New York City. I guess it depends on your rank and how far buyers are willing to wade through images.

Archived