How long until you sold first image?

Just out of interest and by no means through being a new member on the forum when did you sell your first image?

How much was it a relief to know that you where actually doing something that others wanted to buy?

I had my first sale on Alamy with around 300 images accepted. Shoot a wide variety of subjects, keyword well, look at pictures in magazines, newspapers, textbooks, and get additional hints from All of Alamy as to what people are willing to buy...and keyword well...

Nice chocolate lab...good bird hunting dog ... especially if you go to hunt waterfowl ...

Yeah, first sale was a relief...you'll soon get a feel for what people want to buy...almost anything.

Good luck.

Dave

One of the first ten images that I uploaded to Alamy sold almost immediately. But that was back in 2007, when the Alamy collection was only a fraction of what it is today. I doubt that I would have such good luck in 2013.

It took so long that I had stopped looking to see if I had a sale. Then one day I decided to look and saw that I had two within a week, one at $ 73.71 and another at $95.00.

This sparked me in to life to upload more and it only now with over 5000 up that I am getting sales every month.

Hard work but rewarding when you find your photos in books and newspapers (newspapers less due to the low fees)

http://www.redbubble.com/people/tommysphotos

Just out of interest and by no means through being a new member on the forum when did you sell your first image?

How much was it a relief to know that you where actually doing something that others wanted to buy?

First sale, just over a month of uploading first images - with about 30 odd images on file at the time

Relief - not sure, but was a push to do more

First upload December 2005.

1st Sale $100 gross on 1/5/06 when 153 images on sale.

2nd Sale $453 gross on 16/5/07 when 992 images on sale.

Sales took off in November 2007, with sales in 59 of the 65 months since then.

Last time I had a month with no sales was December 09.   It started slow but then got very steady....

Thanks for the replies especially OneWay for the nod on the keywording direction!

If you had a German shorthair, I would give you a few more pointers...LOL

It wasn't until I hot 100 that I sold my first. Then I sold a second and third and that was only at 300 images. I'm now at 638 and it's increasing the views but not zooms or sales. I'm optimistic about things, and tweaking keywording as each day passes does help, however, its relatively low sales so not as successful as some, however, I suspect others are more hard working than me. 

Think it took about 7 months before I got a sale, and I had less than 100 images uploaded at the time. That would have been mid 2011 I think. I keyworded meticulously and I think that helped me get sales with so few images. I have noticed that once you've been around for a year or so sales become more regular - many of my sales do not come from zooms so I wonder if they have been found via Alamy's picture researchers. So anyway, don't worry if you are not getting many zooms, if the images are good, sellable and keyworded they will be found and bought. But it won't come straight away... actually, that means it's a real thrill when you get your first sale so I kind of liked that.

Oh, it was a huge relief, I can't tell you! And every time an image sells, it still is, it is a great feeling. :)  Providing it's sold for a reasonable amount, of course...

And every time an image sells, it still is, it is a great feeling. :)  Providing it's sold for a reasonable amount, of course...

And every time an image sells for peanuts, a fairy dies... :(

But a monkey somewhere is happy ;)

And every time an image sells, it still is, it is a great feeling. :)  Providing it's sold for a reasonable amount, of course...

And every time an image sells for peanuts, a fairy dies... :(

But a monkey somewhere is happy ;)

Let's hope the buyers show mercy, it's no fun clearing fairy corpses and peanut shells off the floor... Don't mind us Marc, there are still some good sales to be had, hope you get one soon. B)

It took 10 months before my first sale showed up. I didn't upload huge amounts fast, I slowly worked through my catalogue to see what I had to upload. All wildlife images. Currently have just under 500 images here.

It's a long term commitment. If you understand that it makes the wait for something to happen easier ;)

Good luck.

TobyH

• 3 months later...

Archived