Brexit in Scotland - any tips?

I will be in Scotland during the Brexit vote and the days leading up to that. Is there anything to see(=photograph)?

What should I expect on the day itself?

Any tips?

wim

Election days in the UK are very quiet, no campaigning or anything of the sort. Unless you're near a polling station you're unlikely to notice much.

Personally I wouldn't take photographs other than of the building with the sign outside, certainly not of identifiable people unless they consent.

Election days in the UK are very quiet, no campaigning or anything of the sort. Unless you're near a polling station you're unlikely to notice much.

Personally I wouldn't take photographs other than of the building with the sign outside, certainly not of identifiable people unless they consent.

Why suddenly that sensitivity? You cannot see what they have voted, only that they have done their duty to vote. I am just curious. In Denmark I wouldn't think twice.

- and wim, what about some news reportage photos referring a short interview with people who have given their consent... Since there obviously wouldn't be much to shoot. Scotland is more pro EU than England, it could become interesting.

This is definitely not to start a political discussion.... 

Why suddenly that sensitivity? You cannot see what they have voted, only that they have done their duty to vote. I am just curious. In Denmark I wouldn't think twice.

I said personally. Nothing to do with the national sentiment. I don't think it would be interpreted as interference, I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, nor having it done to me, for that matter. In my book the anonymity extends as far as the street. If for news, I would think differently.

I said personally. Nothing to do with the national sentiment. I don't think it would be interpreted as interference, I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, nor having it done to me, for that matter. In my book the anonymity extends as far as the street. If for news, I would think differently.

Okay, thanks...

Any tips?

Try to avoid a Glasgow kiss.

You can learn a lot of new expressions here ...

Abiyoyo's flag is clever. A bit of hindsight beforehand.

If it's IN that will be very short-lived news. If it's OUT, that will linger on for quite a while.

A Glasgow kiss must be bad if it's to be avoided. Urban dictionary to the rescue. Hmm. Maybe keep the Canon hammer ready at all times.

Roadblocks? Between England and Scotland? Have there been any images of Hadrian's wall with barbed wire and barriers during the independence vote?

wim

This sounds not too biased to me:

Business for Scotland

Could it be that the Scots see the whole referendum as just something from London?

Maybe I should spend the first days of my visits doing some good research in some local pubs ;-)

I know cab drivers and barber shops are excellent sources too, but I will be driving my own car and I have no hair left.

Maybe I should stick to the usual tourist landmarks.

wim

edit: sorry for the youtube film showing here directly. Looks a lot like propaganda now. Let's see if I can somehow put that at a certain distance, like with a decent link.

edit 2: ok that worked.

So Scotland gets a disproportionate share of EU spending as it does of Government spending, which it would like to keep. That figures.

No wonder the SNP want to pretend that Scotland would magically still be in the EU if it seceded from the UK.

I shall be working in a Polling Station on 23/6. Our instructions re. the media are "Representatives of the media have no right to enter a polling station except as voters or accredited observers. They must not be allowed to film or interview voters in the polling station. If a film crew is filming or interviews are taking place outside the polling station {we must] make sure that voters are not hindered or harassed on their way to vote, that cameras are not positioned in a way that may compromise the secrecy of the ballot and that the entrance to the polling station is not obstructed."

My advice would be - shoot only from the pavement or public road, stay out of the polling station premises (which will undoubtedly be private property), and if you're photographing recognisable individuals get a MR first. Though this latter is not legally essential (if editorial use) people are sensitive - they may not want someone else to know that they have voted and really not wish to be photographed (often for good reason) - you should understand and accept this.

Wim, I live and work here. First thing I'll say is that I hope you enjoy your trip and that the weather is kind. Sunny summers in Scotland are a bit of a lottery. It might help to know where in Scotland you intend to visit. As you probably know, the parliament is in Edinburgh and it may be the best place to grab an interesting picture or two. Polling stations, in my experience are usually pretty uninteresting places and I doubt you'd pick up anything worthwhile. I don't think you'd be hassled taking picture outside, despite our media profile as a "hard" people, we're really not that much different than anywhere else. As for brexit I fear England gets what England wants and it looks like they'll be voting out. I think Scotland will be 50/50 much like the referendum in 2014. I also have to say that even although 55% voted to stay as part of the UK, only a small % of that % could be persuaded that Scotland gets treated as an equal and certainly gets "used" by our nearest neighbours. If you need someone to pose with a Scottish flag anywhere in Glasgow give me a shout, just don't expect model quality. :) :) :) Meanwhile if I hear of anything developing I'll keep you posted.

slainte

I shall be working in a Polling Station on 23/6. Our instructions re. the media are "Representatives of the media have no right to enter a polling station except as voters or accredited observers. They must not be allowed to film or interview voters in the polling station. If a film crew is filming or interviews are taking place outside the polling station {we must] make sure that voters are not hindered or harassed on their way to vote, that cameras are not positioned in a way that may compromise the secrecy of the ballot and that the entrance to the polling station is not obstructed."

My advice would be - shoot only from the pavement or public road, stay out of the polling station premises (which will undoubtedly be private property), and if you're photographing recognisable individuals get a MR first. Though this latter is not legally essential (if editorial use) people are sensitive - they may not want someone else to know that they have voted and really not wish to be photographed (often for good reason) - you should understand and accept this.

All sounds familiar. In a distant past I have covered an election where the opposition had threatened to kill everyone who had voted. So no images of voters please. As 99% of the total population came out to vote and all formed huge lines, everybody took images of those lines. Now a familiar sight if a nation comes back to democracy. Even there nobody got killed for voting. There were a couple of attacks on polling stations though.

In this case, the only sort of real news would be an image just like that: huge lines forming at a polling station. I don't expect that will happen.

wim

Wim, I live and work here. First thing I'll say is that I hope you enjoy your trip and that the weather is kind. Sunny summers in Scotland are a bit of a lottery. It might help to know where in Scotland you intend to visit. As you probably know, the parliament is in Edinburgh and it may be the best place to grab an interesting picture or two. Polling stations, in my experience are usually pretty uninteresting places and I doubt you'd pick up anything worthwhile. I don't think you'd be hassled taking picture outside, despite our media profile as a "hard" people, we're really not that much different than anywhere else. As for brexit I fear England gets what England wants and it looks like they'll be voting out. I think Scotland will be 50/50 much like the referendum in 2014. I also have to say that even although 55% voted to stay as part of the UK, only a small % of that % could be persuaded that Scotland gets treated as an equal and certainly gets "used" by our nearest neighbours. If you need someone to pose with a Scottish flag anywhere in Glasgow give me a shout, just don't expect model quality. :) :) :) Meanwhile if I hear of anything developing I'll keep you posted.

slainte

I'll keep that in mind!

I'll have umbrellas at the ready. Should I bring the underwater housing? ;-)

Thanks for the offer of flag waving. Maybe in kilt with a bagpipe?

wim

No wonder the SNP want to pretend that Scotland would magically still be in the EU if it seceded from the UK.

I hope it's more than just a pretence as I'm already planning my move to Scotland in expectation of a vote for Brexit.

Alan

I hope it's more than just a pretence as I'm already planning my move to Scotland in expectation of a vote for Brexit.

Alan

You'd still be out.

slainte

I'll keep that in mind!

I'll have umbrellas at the ready. Should I bring the underwater housing? ;-)

Thanks for the offer of flag waving. Maybe in kilt with a bagpipe?

wim

The kilt I can accommodate but bagpipes are for musicians. lol 

Coincidentally I'm heading to The Netherlands today, God, ferry and car willing; we will both get wet methinks.  Is there anything left un-photographed in Holland?  ;)

Broken down cars with English plates on Bryan!!!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Coincidentally I'm heading to The Netherlands today, God, ferry and car willing; we will both get wet methinks.  Is there anything left un-photographed in Holland?  ;)

Broken down cars with English plates on Bryan!!!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

There's a bit of truth in that.

Your own experience is always a good starting point. The way you look at things may very well correspond with how British clients look at all things Dutch.

Whether that is exaggerating the preconceptions or discovering things yet undiscovered, that's up to you.

So everything you think is significant for you as a British traveler/tourist, is good. The same for everything you've learned at school; seen in the papers, on tv.

You probably have a good plan, but a drive around the IJsselmeer, over the dike or as close to it as possible is certainly nice and not done to bits. Not the main roads, if at all possible. A good satnav and a good map and some common sense will get you there. Only if it says for bicycles only, that's when it's really not wise to go ahead by car. ;-)

It's do-able in 1 day, but I would take 3-4 days if photography would be included. People do it by bike in 1 day, it's one of the classics. As a long distance (touristic) bike ride it's 400km. Road racing it's about 300km. This one misses Medemblik which would be a pity, but acceptable from a racing point of view. This is more or less the 1 day variety.

If you have one week or 8 days, I would include Sloten; Giethoorn and Staphorst in the Northeast. And on the South side: Palace Het Loo (gardens) in Apeldoorn and the Kröller-Müller Museum (lots and lots Van Gogh paintings) near Arnhem. But I would try not to miss Kampen, Elburg and Harderwijk.

A city tour would include Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht. With 2 weeks: include 's Hertogenbosch; Eindhoven (design; IT) and Maastricht. Then circle back through Belgium via Hasselt and Antwerp to Rotterdam. Bonus points for not using highways ;-)

wim

Not really Brexit, but check http://www.whatsoninedinburgh.co.uk/

The film festival is on then and Leith festival is on until the 19th.

You might also like to get some pictures of the building of the new Forth road bridge, it is really literally coming together now and looks spectacular.  

There will also be graduation ceremonies at Edinburgh University on 23rd and dates around then, which give great opportunites for pics of happy young people and parents against the stunning backdrop of the Quad at old College........

Elton John (are we allowed to mention him?) is playing Edinburgh around that time too..... 

Archived