Does it make a difference?

Uploading on a regular basis helps CTR, right?

Which helps the most? One huge upload, then getting them ready in manage images in small chunks that string out over a month, or upload smaller batches over the course of a month, prepping each batch as they are approved?

In other words, which helps CTR the most, the upload or the putting on sale? Do you think one is favored over the other or do they carry equal weight so it doesn't really matter whether you upload 100 at a time then string out the readying part, or upload 10 at a time readying as you go?

If it doesn't matter, I can see doing large batch uploads being the best, because you only have one QC wait rather than multiple waits.

My waiting time can be as short as 24 hours or as long as one week. So small batches will definitely involve many more hours of waiting on QC.

Betty

Uploading on a regular basis helps CTR, right?

Why would it? CTR is a function of a client finding an image suitable for a search string etc.

I used to upload as and when. That included large batches of 300 plus or many times just a single image.

I don't plan anything. In the evening I simply upload what I managed to edit and keyword during the day. Could be 10 images or 100 images. And I finish them in "Manages your images" the same day when they are approved. Whatever's not on-line doesn't sell  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

But Alamy is your full time job, right? I couldn't keyword 100 images in a day, would drive me mad!

I thought I'd seen posts where someone said they hadn't uploaded anything new in a long while and their CTR sank.

Perhaps the person was referring to ranking and not CTR. 

CTR is only one part of the ranking equation. I wouldn't be surprised if regular uploads counted towards ranking but it's only a guess.

What makes me angry is that you upload lots of news images to your best pseudonym and your CTR sinks like the Titanic.

Why is that? Similars? Or nobody is interested in the news images after a few days?

I tend to upload what I have ready which may be 40 or 400 pics. I tend to feel that larger batches are more manageable from both the workflow and QC aspect but am not really influenced by the CTR aspect. In my view the main criteria for maintaining you ranking is to cull your main pseudo (s) on a regular basis, in my case every 6 months, and transfer non performing pics to another pseudo, in my case no zooms or sales for over 2 years. Not infallible but not a disaster either.

dov

Because recency of image plays role in its ranking?

All else being equal, recency ranks ahead?

Not constantly uploading varied images might

"lubricate" drop in rank for those varied subjects?

Zero evidence I assume from question marks.  I see no evidence that recent uploading does anything other than put a different image in your first assigned spot for a given search string. I don't upload much to main pseudo and nothing since last August - still see images ranked where they would normally be.

If it were up to me, rank would be determined by a simple formula: dollar volume of sales per given time period divided by image collection size.

This would automatically penalize excessive similars, uninteresting photos, placement in sets where there is too much competition already, and so on.

It would automatically benefit those who have large collections —given variety, quality, etc. — because the likelihood of sales in a given time period is so much higher.

It would also automatically benefit those with smaller collections where images of good quality feature uncrowded but searchable/salable subject fields.

With this last point in mind, despite the small size of my own collection, I'm starting to look at what should be deleted as much as or more than what should be added.

If it were up to me, rank would be determined by a simple formula: dollar volume of sales per given time period divided by image collection size.

This would automatically penalize excessive similars, uninteresting photos, placement in sets where there is too much competition already, and so on.

It would automatically benefit those who have large collections —given variety, quality, etc. — because the likelihood of sales in a given time period is so much higher.

It would also automatically benefit those with smaller collections where images of good quality feature uncrowded but searchable/salable subject fields.

With this last point in mind, despite the small size of my own collection, I'm starting to look at what should be deleted as much as or more than what should be added.

Why shouldn't all that be the case now? It certainly looks this is the core of the formula.

However there are some other factors, some of which we have no idea of. They try to give newcomers a fair shot. Or benefit contributors who caption most accurately, so that the results pages look good.

The only thing that's different from your simple formula is that volume of sales trumps dollars. I think most of us here can only be grateful for that ;-)

wim

I thought I'd seen posts where someone said they hadn't uploaded anything new in a long while and their CTR sank.

Hi Betty.

That was me.  I go through stages where I don't have time for my photography and have noticed a distinct drop in rank after a couple of months of no uploads.  Views and zooms drop like rocks.  When I get back in to uploading, I find my views and zooms will start to increase within a couple of months, probably depending on when the reranks hit.

I am just getting back in to uploading after almost 5 months of nothing and my rank seems to have fallen to the bottom of the ocean. Haven't check my BHZ, but very minimal vies tells the story.  With spending so much time at dog shows, I run out of new material.  So when at a show, unless I can get a shot of something quite interesting ( like the biker guy with the chinese crested that I missed) I don't take any. I already have tons of dog show images.  Probably going to cull out a lot of them as well.  Some go back when I thought numbers were important.

Winter on the farm in the middle of nowhere doesn't provide for a lot of interesting images.

Jill

I believe that a steady trickle of new images being uploaded will simply keep you in the sphere of the buyers looking for images. Does not matter whether it is 10 a week or 1000 per week. So long as there is something fresh in your port.

It is this that gets your views/zooms/sales, which of course enhances your rating.

If you don't upload on a regular basis then your port will slip away from the eyes of the buyers into the hidden depths of Alamy's servers thus reducing your rank. ;)

Allan

EDIT: Posted same time as Jill.

I think it is better to have your images as fast as possible on sale. You dont know anyway what images on what moment a client needs. So putting images to have them on the "new results" is only a guess. :rolleyes: am i right..... or not.

Better to have 1000 photos online today searchable by customers then only 100 and 900 offline.

I have been working hard to shoot and upload. No scientific evidence, but I do know my images do well in the ranking and my CTR Is the highest it's ever been.

My zooms are X4 what they were a year ago.

And yes, sales are better, with a lot of them coming from newish uploads.

The few new images I've uploaded lately have been to Stockimo and I've suddenly seen a huge drop in views and CTR the past two weeks. When I was good about uploading more regularly my views and CTR went up well above average. Now I'm tottering around the average level with my best pseudos (which were usually at 2-4x average last couple of months) so I'm hoping an influx of new images will move me back up. Sales are steady but CTR and views are down. This time of year I tend to shoot more and process/upload when weather is cold but I'm trying to change that so I'm more consistent throughout the year. 

Whether it affects CTR or not, more good quality images means a great chance for sales. And a regular flow of uploads is a good habit to get into and certainly a goal worth aiming for - and achieving. 

Is there a way to see your views and CTR on Stockimo? 

It is difficult to upload a bunch of images and get them ready right the way. I usually milk them in as I have a few minutes/hours during the work week. I think many people do that but I don't know how much that improves your chances. Most of us do what we can rather than what is most likely to increase sales hypothetically. 

interesting thread,

and its given me a kick up the ..... to get some of mine for sale, ive just noticed i have 100 ish uploaded but not on sale / keyworded!

they were from a batch of many times that from last month though, so i guess im in the camp of, upload lots, and keyword as and when. think ill have to rethink that!

I uploaded a large batch of 208 for the first time ever. I don't have the time to get them all on sale in one marathon session. I'm not Philippe! ;)

So I will be spending some days at it.

I tested a few that went on sale this morning, and they are on the first page. True or false, I'm in the camp of regular uploads helping ranking.

I don't have spectacular sales, although my CTR and zooms are on the climb, and the days of having some "no sales" months seem to be in the distant past.

I'll be interested to see how the rerank affects my images, since the last one was good for me.

Bring it on!

My zooms increased this week after adding 16 new images and a few more via Stockimo (which I'm guessing has no effect).

My main pseudo is on page one so hoping it stays there in the upcoming re-rank. 

208 at once! Wow Betty! I think 20-something is my limit. 

My zooms increased this week after adding 16 new images and a few more via Stockimo (which I'm guessing has no effect).

My main pseudo is on page one so hoping it stays there in the upcoming re-rank. 

208 at once! Wow Betty! I think 20-something is my limit.

I'll be the rest of the month getting them on sale. ;)

I think continually uploading new (good) images simply helps all round - I don't think it is actually linked in any way to ranking, but if clients do searches using the 'recent' option, having new images will help your sales potential.

I always upload in batches of ten. The QC wait begins when you upload your first batch, so rather than do 100 images over two days and then upload, why not start the clock ticking straight away? Keep uploading small batches and you get the maximum number through QC when they do get assessed. And the waiting time starts ticking immediately for the next lot....

Archived