Are alamy using microstock to distribute

Today I had a distributor sale drop in for $2.17 leaving me with $0.65 !!! Novel use paid higher. When I find out the country tomorrow I will be dropping them.i know by signing up to the distributor scheme you accept what you get but this is absurd. Surely alamy should set a minimum price to its distributors. How long before a distributor does a special offer of $0.01 per image

Kevin

I know all the microstock sites very well and i can guarantee that they are not included in the distribution list.

I would not worry to much about it. Somebody else reported a distributor sale of 575 dollars. One day you will get 10 sales of 2 to 5 dollars and another day a sale of 300 dollars.

On microstock you will have daily 50 cents.

Mirco

Today I had a distributor sale drop in for $2.17 leaving me with $0.65 !!! Novel use paid higher. When I find out the country tomorrow I will be dropping them.i know by signing up to the distributor scheme you accept what you get but this is absurd. Surely alamy should set a minimum price to its distributors. How long before a distributor does a special offer of $0.01 per image

Kevin

I had some of those sales in spring and opted out of distribution to those countries around 1st April. Since then a few more have come on the list for next March / April. You can only opt out around this period.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography-faqs-distribution.asp#faqs11

An even bigger giveaway could be choosing "RM-E" for your images. 

It means that for an exclusive, you only get 20-30% more for what might be an already very low price.

For RM-E only, Alamy has the right to sell an exclusive at any price, without asking your permission. I use "RM" to keep a veto power over exclusives that I think are priced too low.

Read all about it here:

The licence was granted in Italy

This is the second time I have had an awful low price from Italy. Has anyone had any good ones from Italian distributor? If not they will have to be deleted from my list

Regards

Kevin

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 June 2015
End: 01 June 2020

Had this one drop in yesterday for $5.42 - so I get $1.63, about £1.05!!

I'll stick with all distribution for the moment as i've had a few decent sales over the years, sometimes my highest grossing image for the month.

John.

PS this image is my highest grossing image this month 'cus i've only sold 1  :mellow: !! .

Italy used to be a really good market with some great agents and quite a few excellent magazines running nice long features. Fees varied a bit but agencies usually took only 30 or 35% commission. Grazia Neri were the best but packed it in about ten years ago. Great bunch of people, I often wonder where or if they found work. Hope they're not at the car wash! Many of the magazines have also gone, those surviving pay peanuts if at all.

I'm really surprised to see this... When you submit directly to some other agencies you have lower prices, but Alamy, as huge agency can ask for normal (big) prices... Why in this case it didn't work and the license was sold for micro payment??? :huh:  In another thread we read - get 20% more from distributors? Oh irony!

Arletta,

I dont think Alamy sells for higher price. With getting 20 percent more it means that if you opt in for distribution your income in Alamy will be 120 instead of 100. 20 coming from distributors.

I'm really surprised to see this... When you submit directly to some other agencies you have lower prices, but Alamy, as huge agency can ask for normal (big) prices... Why in this case it didn't work and the license was sold for micro payment??? :huh:  In another thread we read - get 20% more from distributors? Oh irony!

Huge agency often means lower, not higher prices. Less bargaining power if non-exclusive and the 50 million images is it's own story in the minds of searchers.

I see higher prices from agencies that offer exclusive images, in some genres, or many more sales when the distributor is 'encouraged' to give top placements to those images........'hey, we've got a bucketload of images' doesn't really cut it any more. The one stop shop and pile it high is yesterday's news, the curated, the added value is the current philosophy..... see the 'hugest' agency to see it in action..

I dont think Alamy sells for higher price.

I don't think - I know... Alamy is not the only one agency where I have my work and I've found that my prices are lower than offered from Alamy collection in the other agency... It works the same in Alamy and everywhere else and I asked about it when new agreement came lately. Do you remember my question about how can I change my prices on Alamy? The answer was - I need to have an agency to set up my own prices.

So, Alamy can set up higher prices elsewhere too (I believe it's not a secret?). They don't have to sell our images so cheap.

I got two of these sales drop in from the Italian distributor. I will get a total of $1.30 for the two uses! The only winner here is the buyer. How many thousands of images were included in the "bulk" sale to be worthwhile to the distributor?

As long as distributor sales continue to be the sort of thing that I wouldn't get in a month of Sundays direct I'll stay in.

A statue in Toulouse published in an italian popular science book; a Greek antiquity from Treviso in a regional Italian newspaper; a posh dessert from Helmsley in a Mexican magazine, that sort of thing.

To me you have to take the bad with the good. And look at the image that sold.

I had one of those crappy sales last month, $7 gross, but it was of an image of which there are thousands on micro alone, so surprised there was a sale at all. One of my earlier uploads which I figured would probably never sell. 

Jill

I licensed an image on my own to an Italian book publisher a few years back, and it it took well over a year to get paid. The endless forms and bureaucracy were mind-boggling. I'm sure the Italians have a colourful expression for it.

I had one of those crappy sales last month, $7 gross, but it was of an image of which there are thousands on micro alone, so surprised there was a sale at all. One of my earlier uploads which I figured would probably never sell. 

Jill

My image was the same as the first image I ever sold through Alamy, uploaded and sold in 2007!

John.

Jill

My image was the same as the first image I ever sold through Alamy, uploaded and sold in 2007!

John.

How much in 2007?!

Jill

John.

How much in 2007?!

It wasn't all that good actually!

It was a distributor sale to the Russian Federation for $36 gross. Alamy's cut was only 15% and distributor 40% - so I picked up $16.20.

I was really pleased with my first sale though!

John.

Archived