What is the ratio of how many pictures you post to how many you sell?

I was wondering how many pictures everyone post verses the amount that sells.

Thanks.

How long's a piece of string?

I have favourite pix that have never sold, and other pix that I almost didn't bother to upload that sell regularly. It's a funny old game!

From year to year base, my estimate is about 1 sale per 100 pictures online. Overall, roughly 3.5%. But I managed over $100 per sale overall, which I considered really good.

Miles, the best piece of advice that I can give is not to concentrate on the quantity of the images but rather the QUALITY. You will hear a lot that it is a numbers game. This is only true when the numbers you have are of decent quality.

From my own way of shooting. If you look at at a scene and you think it would better in a different then go back and try again. You will be served well by this. Also using tools such as the Photographer's Ephermeris to see when the sun will be in a particular place is a huge thing that can help.

Next week I'm in Florence. I'm going because the sun will be hitting a particular place and looking at the weather forecast I should get some good light :D

Which one Ed? And I've just looked for the other side of what I want next week and seen that it coincides with a planned trip back there in November!

Gelato? I know a nice place in Florence near to Piazza Santa Maria Novella. I think I will pay a visit next week just to make sure it's still nice :P

15,500 images in the collection, selling about two per week for the last couple of years, averaging a little over $70 per sale.  About three-quarters of the sales are made by Alamy direct (hence 50% to me), one-quarter through sub-agents, bringing me only 30%.  But these averages are better than my other two agencies.

Hi Geoff

Why do most of your images have no kewords?? and one word titles e.g. 

GPK-01

How on earth do buyers find that I know what it is because its near me but nobody searches for GPK-01 do they.

Hi Geoff

Why do most of your images have no kewords?? and one word titles e.g.

GPK-01

How on earth do buyers find that I know what it is because its near me but nobody searches for GPK-01 do they.

I gave notice to quit Alamy when the first contract version was announced earlier this spring and deleted all kws except a marker for me to find them...

Not had time or inclination to redo the kws on 1250 or so. Hence most are not searchable by subject.

I am impressed with some of the sales ratios here,  my measly less than 1% seems very poor in comparing to others,  i understand that many suppliers work better for some photographers than others,  also topics and where you are shooting,  i am starting to feel that i am in the wrong stable,  however 9000 plus images and many more to upload i guess i will just keep slaving on in hope of a turnaround.

Paul.

As has been suggested, this figure is almost meaningless. It's very time dependent. If you had uploaded 1000 images in year one, and then nothing for another 5 years, and assuming that you have some saleable images, a high percentage would result, whereas recently uploaded stuff, unless newsworthy, takes time to find a market.

Further, as has also already been said, some images provide repeat sales, whereas others (Including my personal favourites) never sell.

FWIW my percentage of total sales over total images is about 3.6%

Archived